Unlimited mobile sim

Posted 9th May 2023
Hi All,

Looking for some advice please.

I am considering using an unlimited sim within a router and moving away from the likes of virgin/sky etc etc.

The thing is I need to try each network to see which will give me the best speeds. I have looked at the various supplier "network coverage" sites but find that these are not really true to life. I also do not want to spend "X" amount getting Sim cards from all the suppliers to test and then cancelling the contract as this could put a strain on my credit report as some companies do a hard search before you take out a contract.

Any help/info gratefully received.

Thanks.
Community Updates
New Comment

22 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    AndyRoyd
    No need to commit to contract (and credit check). Can test via one month / PAYG options, random examples being:
    Voda via Lebara at £9.98 30days
    3 via multiple MVNOs such as Smarty at £16 30days
    EE via RWGs unlimited offering limited to 100GB at £15 30days - but only if you like cricket.
    Wouldn't bother with o2 unless you want to get into an argument with them about Net Neutrality regulations that o2 does not respect.

MVNOs will typically be regarded as least priority on their respective network, so the cynics will say that a direct contract with the corresponding network will not provide worse service than the MVNO.
    Yolofknell Author
    Hi,

Thanks for the response.

EE if I recall only allow a certain amount of devices connected at any one time. Last time I went through Utility Warehouse and got pulled up as EE only allowed 12 or so devives and I had close to 20+.

O2 gave me a Default on my credit report due to missed payment but in actual fact, I cancelled Sim within 24 hours due to bad signal. Had to chase them for weeks to get the false report rectified.

May be better off asking whoever comes to my property what Company they are with and then asking them to do a speed test at differnt times of the day.

I really do not want to start ordering different sims and then returning if they are now good. Was hoping for an easier way.
    The2Time
    A week ago i took out the 3 mobile contract as you have a 30 day money back guarntee and the first 3 months are free (24m contract £20).

So far the router sits in my window and its been fantastic. Average speed 300mb download and tested various times of the day/night.

Can't fault it after the first 7 days. Ive had multiple devices streaming 4k content at peak times to really test it and it's held up.

You could always try it for 30 days like I am doing and if it's no good you can just send it back. There's no upfront payment needed.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I will be sending mine back regardless and buying an unlimted data smarty sim (£16) and the Router seperatly. I have a smaty sim card in my phone already and ive tested that in the router too. (edited)
    Yolofknell Author
    Thank you, I will try a Smarty Sim.

Can you use the Smarty unlimited sim that comes with calls and texts or do you have to use the Data only sim? (edited)
    Yolofknell Author
    Smarty is £16 for a 12 month contract. £20 for a 30 day contract.
    The2Time
    SMARTY don't do contracts. What are you looking at?
    Yolofknell Author
    If you click on the £16 it then becomes £20
    50147090-70MMY.jpg
    The2Time
    It's not a contract mate. It's a promotional discount for 12 months. The same rules apply to all SMARTY packages and they can be cancelled free of charge at any time.

Start a chat with them and let them know if you have any concerns/issues and they will sort it (edited)
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants