Washing Machine Auto Dose with concentrated detergent

Posted 10th Sep 2023
Hi, anyone have any experience with using these new super concentrated liquid detergents in the auto dose / auto dispensers in modern washing machines?
I've just purchased a Samsung but I understand other manufacturers have this feature too.

I get the feeling it won't go well as presumably the washing machine has no idea you are using super concentrated stuff and will just dispense the same quantity of detergent into the drum, thus ending up with too much detergent for the load.

Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Community Updates
New Comment

8 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    melted
    I thought that auto-dose machines were designed to take the manufacturer's own brand ultra concentrated detergent. If they are designed to work with lower strength non-oem detergent in the auto-dose too, they will no doubt have a setting to increase the amount dispensed per wash.

I wouldn't buy one myself, partly because it adds needless complication likely to make the machine less reliable and more expensive (unless they can afford to offer discounts because they expect to make a killing selling the detergent). I would also much rather use powder because it helps to keep the machine free of mould and bacteria, while liquids do the reverse. (edited)
    IAmATeaf
    I thought that using powders caused mould etc. as you can end up with lumps/clumps that get stuck in the machine. We’ve not used washing powder now for years.
    melted
    A quick google suggests you shouldn't use concentrated liquids, see first post: eu.community.samsung.com/t5/…618

It only has a low, med, high setting for dosage and uses that plus the weight of the washing and the water hardness setting to determine the actual dose.

Miele's Twindos uses their own super concentrated detergent in one bottle and an oxygen bleach stain remover solution in the other, and there are some users complaining of blockages and leaks. Apparently the bottles that fit in UK models can be filled with other liquid detergents too.
    windym
    Miele give you two empty containers for your own detergent/conditioner - the Miele system allows you to dispense whatever amount you like and you tell it what it is dispensing i.e. fabric conditioner, detergent etc. I used the Miele detergent for a few years but changed back to Ecover about two years ago and it's just as good imo.
    Daffydills
    just dilute it?
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants