Leaving Sky but still want to record TV.

Posted 20th Jul 2023
Only reason I've had sky for the past few years is ability to record live TV.
No extras, just the signature package.

Cancelled it in past, tried to keep up to date with everything via on demand apps on Xbox and it was a bit of a melt as some apps had ads integrated whereas recorded live on sky, they could be fast forwarded.

Can anyone recommend a system where I can have all the features of a Sky Q box without the subscription?

I have tried to educate myself on Humax boxes but I am unsure about the aerial set up to receive channels.

Also, is there any way to record from a firestick if I was to get that alternative access to all the channels?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Community Updates
New Comment

32 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    melted
    There's a recent similar thread here that would be worth a look hotukdeals.com/dis…649

I believe the freesat 4k set top box is supposed to work with virtually all Sky Q LNBs, so should be an easy swap with a friendly UI: freesat.co.uk/get….ds

The most flexible option could be an enigma2 box, a linux build developed for dedicated satellite and TV boxes, unfortunately being linux, not the most user friendly, and you would need to swap the LNB, which is easy enough if it is not high up. They can receive the full freesat and freeview 7 day guides, but are neither, so don't have to comply with the freesat/view rules, so recordings can be copied, or streamed to other devices and you can add channels not included in the official guides, or even add a USB freeview tuner, if streaming recordings is useful to you it may be worth considering. The downsides are although you can customise the look of the user interface, the controls are clunky and dated and lacks the user friendliness of the other systems and its Linux so more of a faff to get it set up. I believe the octagon sf8008 gets recommended a lot, we have an almost identical uclan box world-of-satellite.co.uk/oct…008 . Can record to an external USB drive. (edited)
    t3r4
    Got an SF8008 mini, it's a great and powerful box but there's just a tonne of quirks. If I unplug it I can't even be sure it'll actually boot up again, can only really recommend it to techy people who don't mind tinkering for a while every 6 months or so. It does a good job at network recording, IP based streams etc though, all in the same guide.
    FrampyStinkwonkel
    Pay Sky a fiver a month and you can keep the recording feature. I think it's called Sky Basic.
    Justintime12
    Or just buy a youview box from cex for £40 with a 2 year warranty

The bt dtr-t2100 500gb is excellent
    KodaBear
    The 4K Arris Freesat box will accept a Sky Q dish, record 4 channels at the same time, and give you access to the on demand apps and players too.

If you have a working TV Aerial instead then the YouView Pro box is available to buy for cheaper and arguably has an even smoother and better software interface than Sky.
    Mendoza
    do you need a remote for the arris? or does it have buttons on the box?

I seen one on eBay with no remote, for £40
    S54321
    If you like and are used to your sky q I also recommend considering dropping down to the £5 a month basic package. That's what I'm on at the moment.

I've just checked my billing, it's called TV essentials, and looks like it's £15 a month which I'm getting discounted at the moment, discount runs out next month, will be ringing them tomorrow I think (edited)
    KennyBania Author
    Can I ask how you managed to get yourself onto that package and what channels you get with it?

I presume you lose eurosport, sky Atlantic etc, and go down to a Freeview collection of channels?
    TristanDeCoonha
    HiSense TVs can record Freeview by putting a USB storage device in the back. Or look at a standalone recorder that sits between whatever you are going to use (eg Shield with apps) and the TV, recording from the HDMI pass through. Amazon have the ClonerAlliance
    Ukguy101
    Youview box of Facebook, cheap & good.
    bluetang
    Argos do recordable Freesat boxes. We got one recently. Very easy to swap over.
    S54321
    Sky couldn't continue the discount I was on for essentials, best they could offer was £10 a month, so had to cancel, for me that was too much for freeview which I can get on my tv anyway
    KennyBania Author
    Were you able to pause, rewind etc as well as record to the box on that Essentials tier?
    sm9690
    What channels do you want to record? Without a subscription you'll be limited to freeview/freesat channels
    jco83
    Some TV's do have built-in recording functionality, just need to connect something to record onto like a USB stick
    JRSC01
    A Freeview recorder that access Free to air channels using the 'roof' aerial, or alternatively the Freesat Recorder uses the existing sky dish if that is still in situ - but just picks up Free to air channels using it.

Something like this can be used instead, but will only get the Freeview channels, you can use existing dish if it is staying there, and record using this instead.
    argos.co.uk/pro…928

There are other ones for Roof aerial instead etc.
    argos.co.uk/pro…459

but is really a choice for you depending on needs and budget.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants