SIM ONLY UPGRADE ADVICE. When is the sweet spot date/period to upgrade? --- mobiles.co.uk/E2Save

Posted 6th Jun 2023
Hello HUKD Community,

I'm quite sure my request has been answered a myriad times on various threads but a little like finding a needle in a haystack, for me at least.

So Thanks in advance for to those who have experience and strategy toward this or point me to a thread perhaps?
Forgive the nuances BUT I hope by providing hopefully comprehensive detail this might help others too.

>>> The major reason for me to upgrade early is to take advantage of the savings (Post April 14.4% increase CPI) with a new identical 12 Month Cashback UPGRADE offering from mobiles.co.uk/Vod…one which is far cheaper than what I am now paying Vodafone.

SO IN A NUTSHELL
When is the sweet spot date/period to upgrade without compromising any pending cashback.

+++ Upgrade Date 26th July2023.+++
*** End of Contract 10 October 2023.***
>>> NEXT BILL required for Cashback purposes to be forwarded by me being the 9th July 2023.

I have set a calendar reminder for when the Bill Cycle month is generated (usually 9th of each month ) and forward the appropriate bill required for cashback purposes within 24Hrs.
I'm on a 12 MONTH VODA SIM ONLY contract through mobiles .co.uk with 5 cashbacks claims for which I email them the appropriate bill.

I hope this is not too convoluted but any meaningful advice from those within the community would be gratefully received. Thanks!
Community Updates
New Comment

8 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I've looked at the numbers with EE, and for them, there's not so much an optimal date but an optimal state, where the ideal is:

- on or after 1st April
    - with a promotion applied (eg. 1/2 price for 6 mo)
    - 12 mo contract, unless a 24mo contract works out cheaper

The differences in price can be significant, like up to 30-40%, so it really does pay to put some effort in to calculate deals and wait where necessary.
    Author
    Thank you for your thoughts & courtesy.
    EE have great speeds where I am however please refer to my reply below to davejb.
    Finding the data requirements albeit the inconvenience ... using a PAC code to a cheap PAYG and rejoining with another Pac code.
    well without using a crystal ball noone really knows. but looking at your end date youre quite close to black friday and from my experience thats usually when the best mobile/broadband deals materialise..

i wouldnt get too fixated on getting the same deal. ultimately your aim is just to get the cheapest deal. you might find a topcashback or quidco deal is cheaper overall. you get the cashback in one lump and dont have to muck around sending off bills.

you might even find that the best offers come from your provider after your contract has finished. and if you request a pac code that should prompt the best ones. you dont have to use the PAC code so its risk free.

just as an example.. i dont use a huge amount of data but had a £30 contract with EE due to also having a phone.. the contract came to its end so i checked with EE what a similar sim only deal would cost. the cheapest they offered was £15 for 1gb.. my mum was paying £6 for 5gb with vodafone basics so i spoke to vodafone via webchat to see how it compared to the standard contracts and they started offering me deals all better than EE. in the end i took the £6 sim as i barely use any data.

i then requested my PAC code from EE. a few hours later i got a call from EE. the guy was very keen for me to stay.. i said but ive already signed up for vodafone at £6 for 5gb.. he said, dont worry about that just cancel it, youve got 14 days to pull out.. he said he could match the £6 a month but give me 6gb. plus no need to swap numbers, start new direct debits etc.. so i said ok and stayed with EE..

out of interest how much do you pay for what data/minutes? (edited)
    Author
    Thank you for your kind reply,
    Well ... for various reasons I don't have currently wired/optical broadband but have the Unlimited Mins and Texts so resort to mobile broadband using MI-Fi hotspot. 200GB 5G data which i always manage to use.

The Black Friday element is food for thought! Thanks!

So i purchased @ £18.00 pm x 12 months = £219.00 (less £99 Cashback) which equates theoretically to £120.00 for the year especially when you throw in the Very Me rewards every Friday. Kinda feel loyal to Vodafone too since they offered UNLIMITED data, mins and texts during the pandemic.
    However that £18.00 has now risen to £20.59 pm.

To be fair I've never had a missed cashback from these online vendors especially when you can upload on their web portal for cashback over the past 10 years or so. The issue being the steep rise mid contract.
    Hope this is concise. Thanks again. (edited)
    I read you always use up your 200gb allowance, so you're after unlimited?

If you are eligible for benefits, Voxi offers £10 UL SIM rolling monthly contract that could be your best bet.

If I were you, I'd not bother with mobiles or any other cashback site and just go direct with the monthly rolling MVNOs (they don't increase prices every April!)
    Author
    Not on benefits ... in fact a post grad student.

WRT MVNO's ... but i like the weekly Friday Very Me treats/rewards Costa coffee, Morrisons, Asda .etc.. Not as good as o2 Priority offers but have that too with a cheap o2 PAYG.

I think after the comments from all the contributors ... I should be happy with My Current Deal.

Thank you!
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants