Smart Meter Series 1 problems

Posted 10th Feb 2023
Hello HOTUKDEALS community, have a quick question regarding the Smart Meter. Maybe those among us can share their experiences. I have been having on-going issues with my Smart Mater Series since about October where it fails to connect to the provider and to the display. Having raised this with British Gas, they are saying that there are issues with the software which is being updated but they don’t have a date as to when this software will be available or rolled out. The issue is with the Series 1 Smart Meters. Is anyone else in the community having this issue. As this has been going on for month I’m thinking of changing provider hoping they will be able to replace my smart meter. Anyone moved provider and had a new smart meter fitted.
Community Updates
New Comment

14 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    KodaBear
    You could either move to a provider that uses the same system as the 1st generation meter that you have right now, wait for the update to finally roll out and bring it back to life, or move providers.

Not all providers will agree to replace a meter that’s already working though. Ecotricity agreed to it for me and gave me new SMETS2 meters plus a new IHD but I’ve heard of the likes of E.On refusing for a relative for example.
    RealOldMonk
    I am struggling with Scottish power, exact same problem, series 1 , where meter does not connect with display and provider.

My previous provider was British Gas, they installed smart meter.

As per them, display is not priority and I have to do manual readings. Which kind of defeats the purpose of smart meter.

Will talk to providers and see if anyone agrees to change.

I am planning to complain, as calling it smart meter and not getting any benefit , I might drop complain to ofgem if not resolved by provider. No harm in doing that as it’s just slow follow ups. (edited)
    Backinamo
    I have the same issue and currently being looked into by the Ombudsman.

Was with British Gas a few years ago (smart reads worked|) and switched to EON. Like most, i have wanted to track my bills and they aren't providing readings. I got this response :

"As per our call earlier today, I can see that your meters are Smets 1, which means they communicate slightly differently to the newer version Smets 2 meters. In the past, this caused problems with communication when transferring between suppliers, however the Data Communications Company (DCC) previously undertook an enrolment programme to mitigate the impact of this, for both consumers and suppliers. As part of this, suppliers had until the end of 2022 to enrol smets 1 meters on to the network. In view of this, I find it reasonable that your current meters should now be communicating smartly, and if they aren’t, I also find it fair that the meters are replaced for new meters." (edited)
    Bobster-cyw
    Just out of interest how can you determine what type of smart meter you have ? The reason I ask is that occasionally the gas readings are not being sent and we have to manually read and submit in order to get a bill and I also tried to download the Hugo app the other day but it’s unable to retrieve my historic data
    Backinamo
    No idea. If you call your provider they should know.   Mine I’d say looks quite modern with a digital display but is “smets1”
    slimy31
    We recently managed to get British Gas to come out and look at our series 1 meters as they hadn't been reporting for about a year. They got them both online after a lot of trouble, but now the gas one has stopped reporting again. The engineer did say that if I have more trouble I was going to have to ask for a complete replacement. He called it a 'full upgrade'. I'm not overly confident they'll give it any kind of priority though, it's taken months to get an engineer out already.
    Dundawala Author
    Called British Gas - they don’t seem to be interested in resolving the issue. They say that they don’t have a fix as to when this issue will be resolved and I would just have to wait
    matthew_legend
    This may explain your issue... The first gen Smart meters where fitted with 3G sim cards. Some mobile networks have already started to turn of 3G in some areas. The rest will follow in the next few years. Therefore your smart meter wont be able to contact your provider as it wont get any mobile signal. If your meter has a 3G sim card, it will most likely require a new sim, perhaps a new smart meter (i'm not sure how the sim is put into the meter).
    KodaBear
    If I'm not mistaken they use the o2 network - And this is one of many reasons why o2 is the only network that hasn't announced a switch off date for their legacy network technologies.

In any case, the internal modems on these meters should be able to drop to 2G and send data that way instead - These 2G Networks will remain online for roughly another 10 years yet.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants