Admiral car insurance! Warning!

Posted 17th Sep 2023
My son was looking into changing cars so I went online to speak to Admirals online team to request a price to change insurance from his current car to a new one, I specifically stated in caps "DONT" change anything which they aknowledged. They gave me a quote and I said NOT to go ahead with any changes again in capitals.

I then stayed on the Admiral website and requested a "Quote to cancel" Now there are two options, "Quote to cancel" and "Cancel" I made sure to click quote to cancel and proceeded to the end. An hour or so later I checked my emails and there was a quote on how much I would get to cancel.

Now for some reason my little brain said "Check the account" so I logged in and low and behold they had CANCELLED HIS INSURANCE! Luckily my son was not driving so I not only phoned them but had them online again telling them what they had wrongly done, they were all apologetic stating that this shouldn't have happened as you have to confirm if you want to cancel which I had not, thankfully it was reinstated the same time I was on phone and I thought that would be the end to it until......they mentioned they had processed the refund but would be taking the payment needed to keep it reinstated!

Now we all know that 9/10 times refunds take ages and debits are done way faster so I now had a mad rush to get someone to transfer some money to my account to cover this as you can guarantee they would have cancelled again if they couldn't take the payment even though there was a refund being processed and this was all their fault! I managed to get it sorted and it seems to have all been rectified now (Touch wood)

So this is just a warning that if you ever request a "Quote to cancel" or ask them about anything related to this sort of querry always check your account to make sure they haven't proceeded to cancel or you could end up driving with no insurance through their error which my son would have been doing if I hadn't checked!
Community Updates
New Comment

14 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Still as incompetent as they were when I insured my car with them 5 years ago,

I moved house in March 2018, informed them of the change and was charged a small fee for the change. My insurance expired in July, I contacted them about a month before as I hadn't received a renewal quote, person on the phone said it had been sent a couple of weeks ago. That's when I found out they hadn't changed my address after all despite taking payment for doing so and sending an email confirming my policy had been changed, as a result I'd been driving without valid insurance for 3 months due their screw up.

They're one of a very small list of companies I'll never use again regardless of how good their prices are. (edited)
    Whilst you were managing your son's account were you pretending to be your son or are you a previously-authorised additional user of the account?
    Author
    My son was with me while we were going over it, when I say I was on the phone it was him but i could hear everything they were saying and I was explaining to him what to say to them. (edited)
    You could have just got a quote to change the car on 'my account', it does it instantly and you can easily exit out of it.
    I’ve been with Admiral for nearly 20 years and have never had a problem with them. They have consistently come in at the lowest price for combined car and house insurance; and always reduce the annual premium close to previous year’s one when catting to them on the telephone. I’ve never had to make a claim, so can’t comment on their competence on that level.
    Not sure that they still reduce the premium over the phone. Direct Line don't now unless you can provide evidence of an identical policy from another company.
    Author
    Tbh I jsut started chatting to the online rep as I never realised you could do this? ALso I dont actually think it was the rep who made this mess I think it was from the quote to cancel procedure?
    I quit them in February after 24 years multi car....i don't know what's happened with them but they are useless now. Glad I left to be honest, a change on one car affected all the others, happier with them all done individually now with different companies (for half the price of Admirals renewal)
    I honestly avoid to speak on the phone with any company that offer a chat facility or send an email as I like things in writing. But I am also not a native English speaker and I feel like we can't understand each other most of times. (edited)
    Author
    To be fair to the, I'm assuming an Asian person on the phone, she was actually very good, she understood exactly my issue and even though I had to ask her to repeat somethings a couple of times she seems to have sorted this issue out so she deserves alot of credit for that

I understand some people have issues with foreign call centres due to the language barrier but I've always found (Mostly) If you're courtious and polite they will do what they can to help, I have had those who dont seem to care before though but that could also be said for UK born and bred people in call centres!
    Author
    I just want to add this wasn't an attack on Admiral as such it was more to point out that if you do ask for a quote or queery to whomever is your provider in regards to your insurance always check after to make sure nothing has been changed, for every Admiral negative comment I'm sure theres a positive one.

Oh and for those non believers /\ my son laughed at you
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants