Etsy advice - not happy with product

Posted 12th Jun 2023
Hi all - just after some advice. Bought my wife a 925 Sterling Silver thumb ring back in September last year on Etsy. To cut a long story short it's gone really dull and lost the shine that it had. All cleaning advice I've followed isn't doing anything to bring the shine black and the ring is effectively matt now and looks pretty naff

I contacted the seller who said that silver will naturally dull over time but that if it's not polished and cleaned regularly then this will happen. My wife has other silver jewellery where this hasn't happened and she's had these pieces much longer. The seller basically won't budge and will only offer me another ring at the same price as I paid in September (they are more expensive now). Etsy policy is that I've not complained within 100 days so they won't step in.

The ring wasn't expensive at £25 but it feels like a principle issue as I think it's a defective product. Is there anything that I could/should do or do I just stick it up as experience?
Community Updates
New Comment

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    The seller is correct that silver will dull over time and needs to be cleaned/polished to keep its shine.
    Some silver jewellry is plated (often rhodium) or lacquered to maintain a shine.
    Are the other silver items rings? A ring is in continual skin contact and will trnish faster than things like pendants etc. Also often worn continually, whereas other things are not

Have you cleaned/polished it?
    got pics of the ring? (edited)
    Did you use a credit card to pay for it?
    Credit card has no relevance nor protection to OP scenario.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants