Free Xbox with 2021/22 Samsung TV's (Sort of)

Posted 5th Jan 2023
20486074571672942537.jpg

If you own/buy a 2021/22 Samsung Smart TV, a generic Bluetooth game controller or playstation/Xbox/amazonLuma etc and install the Xbox app from the smart TV app store you can play Xbox games without owning an Xbox.

A subscription to Xbox game pass is required but you can get a month's free trial or, as I do, buy 1 months codes for £1 at Gamivo working out at £12 a year to access to hundreds of current gen games.

I do own a series X which likely handles the 4k HDR graphics better than this streaming service and internet speed is of course a factor but for those on a budget I think it's fantastic.

news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/06/09/xbox-app-for-smart-tvs/
Community Updates
New Comment

39 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    There's probably a timed exclusive agreement with Samsung for the app, I can imagine it coming to other brands/devices in due course though.

I use the Gamepass app on my decent Samsung tablet, with a connection of 500Mbps up/down (5ghz WiFi so decent speeds achieved via that) but it can still be a bit rough trying to play, or just ends the game even though the connection is fine.

I'm sure it'll improve over time though (edited)
    I guess they want to restrict the app to more powerful hardware, it's a pity they didn't just release it for any Android device as all the heavy lifting is done server side.
    Oh I too experienced the game ending issue - I tried 4G Lebara & EE and 350Mbps Virgin Media wired - even on the Xbox hardware (it allowed my kids to play Deathloop on an Xbox One instead of needing a Series model!)
    Seems great option, imagine if they introduced this functionality to Amazon Firesticks
    It's brilliant

I got it on my 2020 TV

Don't ask how

Excellent with game pass
    How?!?!?
    My 2021 TV needed an update but wouldn't do it automatically so had to download file from Samsung but now works a treat. Not quite up to the Series X standard but pretty good if just want quick game between TV adverts.
    I'd imagine by the time you got the game up & loaded the ad break would be over!
    It's a shame that it's unusable ever since I switched to Vodafone broadband, it was great before. It seems they throttle it, because it's a lot better when you use a VPN, but still not great. It worked great when I had EE broadband.
    Sounds like a localised issue since others on Vodafone are reporting it works fine (me for one).
    Pretty sure my Samsung is a 2021 model, but no Xbox app for me I'm afraid 😔
    Author
    Which model is it?
    Works for me, though.. I have a Series S tucked behind said TV so kind of redundent, but still want to try it out for the hits & giggles.

Ive just upgraded to an 150mpbs connection (yes, I know some of you are in warp speed but thats plenty for me!) so would love to see how it holds up.
    Good if your xbox is downstairs and you want to carry on playing upstairs or something like that
    Microsoft introduced cloud gaming back in 2020 - you don't need an Xbox, just the Gamepass (well for certain games - as there are a quite a few you can play for free!). They did announce Samsung smart TV support was coming 2021/22 so I guess it's here now! Sadly you need recent hardware and it currently only supports a limited selection.
    xbox.com/en-…ing

Note that there is a beta app has been freely available for any modern Android device since 2020: play.google.com/sto…eta
    The latest version is also freely available: play.google.com/sto…ass
    Sadly with this version you need an Xbox powered on and an active Gamepass, however it's handy if you are in a different room from your Xbox and you don't want the hassle of remote play.

I use remote play a lot - streaming from my Xbox One X to my really old laptop (i5-4200U), it works fine.
    My kids did try cloud play, and whilst it meant they could play titles that they couldn't play on their Xbox One (Deathloop) it was too lagging and dropped connections too often. (We tried 4G with Lebara & EE and wired via VM - all had similar drops)
    Author
    Here's the new "Xbox Game Pass" app that is effectively what the TV app is. It does both streaming from your Xbox or if you haven't, it offers the cloud gaming service. play.google.com/sto…ass
    how do you get the 1 month xbox trial cards for £1 to stack, and take it up to a year? The only ones I can see on Gamivo seem to be non-stackable. And, is there any way to combine that with the "trick" to upgrade it to ultimate??!
    Author
    I just buy a bunch, but only pop in a fresh code at microsoft.com/redeem every month as there are some months I might not use it anyhoo. (edited)
    I have the Samsung au9000 which is 2021 range. Anyone know if it's compatible or know where I can check please?
    Author
    Yes, that's what I have.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants