Has any had battery drain issues with Samsung S20 5g?

Posted 9th Feb 2022
So mini story. I bought my wife an Samsung S20 5g to replace her Huawei P30. I decided on it because it was the right size and she didn't really need anything super powerful. She only takes selfies and browses the net/FB.

However, after using it a couple of days we have found the battery discharge rate quite alarming. we have switched of 5g, calibrated, opened battery saving mode etc but it's still discharging really fast.

We are obviously now looking at sending it back but now we are in a dilemma.

Should we swap for another S20 (which suits our needs best). Go for an upgrade we don't need to an S21? Try another brand altogether (although this is the reason for change, she wanted to go back to Samsung for the superior photo quality and screen.)

If we buy another S20, will the issues be the same? has anyone else had this issue with one?

Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
New Comment

21 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Uridium
    For selfies and browsing the net/fb do you really need a Galaxy S series?

That's midrange usage at best and you will save a lot of money (and see better battery life) from a Galaxy A or M series

If you've only ever used Flagships you may be surprised how little difference there is .

I'd take a look at the Galaxy A/M 32/52 (edited)
    cecilmcroberts
    The battery life on my S20 5G is fine (almost 2 years old), I would say yes that it drains more when I'm at work with a 5g signal, but wouldnt call it dramatic, I've mine on the 120hz screen setting. Though it does drain quickly when on 5g and tethering, maybe make sure hotspot is switched off? Also found that it does discharge quicker than normal after most OS/UI updates, but settles down within a day or so. (edited)
    Rusty82
    CalmerChameleon09/02/2022 20:55

I used to be an iPhone user but switched over to Samsung after the …I used to be an iPhone user but switched over to Samsung after the throttling fiasco on the iPhone 4 and I have looked back. I've never had any issue with any Samsung (besides this incident) and have generally been very happy with them.However, after this incident, I'm nervous that this isn't just a one off. We have decided to swap the S20 to a FE for my wife and give it the benefit of doubt. This will determine if I buy the S22 or not!

I have had almost every Note phone there has been. I also had the OG iPhone and a few others. Have had some Sony, LG and Huawei as well over the years. I do prefer Note phones for the S Pen which is my main reason for going back to them/Samsung.

I just wish we got the proper versions with the snapdragon chips, doesn't seem right that we are stuck with a sub par varient of the same phone and often pay far more for it albeit with slightly more storage as a sort of bribe for putting up with this nonsense.

I have no plans to upgrade this phone. There's nothing a latest and greatest is going to do better than my phone for me so if I can get the battery life to an acceptable level I'll hopefully keep this phone for many years.

Good luck with the FE, hopefully that will work out for you/your wife.
    CalmerChameleon Author
    Rusty8209/02/2022 21:12

I have had almost every Note phone there has been. I also had the OG …I have had almost every Note phone there has been. I also had the OG iPhone and a few others. Have had some Sony, LG and Huawei as well over the years. I do prefer Note phones for the S Pen which is my main reason for going back to them/Samsung.I just wish we got the proper versions with the snapdragon chips, doesn't seem right that we are stuck with a sub par varient of the same phone and often pay far more for it albeit with slightly more storage as a sort of bribe for putting up with this nonsense.I have no plans to upgrade this phone. There's nothing a latest and greatest is going to do better than my phone for me so if I can get the battery life to an acceptable level I'll hopefully keep this phone for many years.Good luck with the FE, hopefully that will work out for you/your wife.

I'm due an upgrade and the S22 looks like a decent step up/upgrade from the S21. The S Pen certainly is intriguing. I'll keep my eye on it to see what the real world reviews say about it...
    HappyShopper
    Just an observation, but whenever there have been S20/Note 20 deals posted on here, there are regularly comments about issues with battery drain - perhaps there was something inherent to these models that caused this?

Worth searching on the XDA Developers forum perhaps.
    HellriderUKDeals69
    CalmerChameleon10/02/2022 10:05

20 FE. She honestly doesn't need the power so I'm giving this one another …20 FE. She honestly doesn't need the power so I'm giving this one another chance. If that fails we'll probably buy a S21 or chance a xiaomi.

My wife had the S20 FE 5G SD version and it was very poor in terms of battery life. I had to set the refresh rate to 60Hz to see some improvement but even then the battery used to last a day at most with light usage. She is now using a Pixel 6 which is much better.
    CalmerChameleon Author
    Uridium09/02/2022 11:35

For selfies and browsing the net/fb do you really need a Galaxy S series? …For selfies and browsing the net/fb do you really need a Galaxy S series? That's midrange usage at best and you will save a lot of money (and see better battery life) from a Galaxy A or M seriesIf you've only ever used Flagships you may be surprised how little difference there is .I'd take a look at the Galaxy A/M 32/52

I have considered these but she needs a top end camera. That was her main gripe about the Huawei so I don't want to take my chances!
    bozo007
    CalmerChameleon09/02/2022 11:44

I have considered these but she needs a top end camera. That was her main …I have considered these but she needs a top end camera. That was her main gripe about the Huawei so I don't want to take my chances!

The Huawei P30 Pro has had one of the best cameras in the last 3 years. Surprised to hear it was a gripe. I love mine.
    CalmerChameleon Author
    bozo00709/02/2022 11:49

The Huawei P30 Pro has had one of the best cameras in the last 3 years. …The Huawei P30 Pro has had one of the best cameras in the last 3 years. Surprised to hear it was a gripe. I love mine.

Hers was the P30. Not the Pro. I do believe the Pro had a better camera set up. Again, the reason we didn't go for the Pro was the size issue. She wanted an S7 size phone (what she had before) but with all the updated bells and whistles.
    CalmerChameleon Author
    cecilmcroberts09/02/2022 12:40

The battery life on my S20 5G is fine (almost 2 years old), I would say …The battery life on my S20 5G is fine (almost 2 years old), I would say yes that it drains more when I'm at work with a 5g signal, but wouldnt call it dramatic, I've mine on the 120hz screen setting. Though it does drain quickly when on 5g and tethering, maybe make sure hotspot is switched off? Also found that it does discharge quicker than normal after most OS/UI updates, but settles down within a day or so.

Thanks for the input. Yes, obviously from a new install, we have had to do 3 separate system updates one after the other (not 100% sure why) so I figured that might have contributed but last night we charged it full and by the morning it had depleted 55% without being touched. We are trying it again tonight to see if it's the same with a few setting off.
    cecilmcroberts
    ei8hty5ive:

Thanks for the input. Yes, obviously from a new install, we have had to do 3 separate system updates one after the other (not 100% sure why) so I figured that might have contributed but last night we charged it full and by the morning it had depleted 55% without being touched. We are trying it again tonight to see if it's the same with a few setting off.

Yeah that does sound like an issue. Make sure no "live" backgrounds/themes as that can also drain.
    Bure11
    I've had mine for 2 years and over the past few months my battery drain has significantly increased. No idea what's caused it, nothing stands out (edited)
    CalmerChameleon Author
    Bure1109/02/2022 15:12

I've had mine for 2 years and over the past few months my battery drain …I've had mine for 2 years and over the past few months my battery drain has significantly increased. No idea what's caused it, nothing stands out

Maybe after the latest update?
    Rusty82
    I have a Note 20 Ultra and the battery is atrocious on it. Far worse than the Mate 20 Pro it replaced. Samsung batteries or their ability to stay charged is notoriously bad, even more so on non snap dragon models like we get here in the UK, usually.

Mine will be going for a new battery replaced under warranty but I am sure it won't be long before it is back to its old ways and draining in no time. Not possible for mine to last a whole day with minimal usage, its woeful.
    CalmerChameleon Author
    Rusty8209/02/2022 18:31

I have a Note 20 Ultra and the battery is atrocious on it. Far worse than …I have a Note 20 Ultra and the battery is atrocious on it. Far worse than the Mate 20 Pro it replaced. Samsung batteries or their ability to stay charged is notoriously bad, even more so on non snap dragon models like we get here in the UK, usually.Mine will be going for a new battery replaced under warranty but I am sure it won't be long before it is back to its old ways and draining in no time. Not possible for mine to last a whole day with minimal usage, its woeful.

I used to be an iPhone user but switched over to Samsung after the throttling fiasco on the iPhone 4 and I have looked back. I've never had any issue with any Samsung (besides this incident) and have generally been very happy with them.

However, after this incident, I'm nervous that this isn't just a one off.

We have decided to swap the S20 to a FE for my wife and give it the benefit of doubt. This will determine if I buy the S22 or not!
    CalmerChameleon Author
    Another update. So after switching virtually every conceivable potentially power draining option off. Fully charge and left last night.... 66% left in the morning without being touched.

Let's hope this new phone fares better. Yikes!
    Joey.Bloggsy
    Hopefully she hasn't downloaded a power hungry app.

If you can go into developer mode and then click on background process, from there only have 1 or 2 processes running at any given time, should help a fair bit.

I also find "force stop app" usefull and when you use that also clear out the cache of each item.
    HellriderUKDeals69
    CalmerChameleon10/02/2022 06:09

Another update. So after switching virtually every conceivable potentially …Another update. So after switching virtually every conceivable potentially power draining option off. Fully charge and left last night.... 66% left in the morning without being touched. Let's hope this new phone fares better. Yikes!

The S20 range with the Exynos processor has one of the worst battery life. It was a complete failure in that department. Have you tried to set refresh rate to 60Hz?
    CalmerChameleon Author
    HellriderUKDeals6910/02/2022 09:14

The S20 range with the Exynos processor has one of the worst battery life. …The S20 range with the Exynos processor has one of the worst battery life. It was a complete failure in that department. Have you tried to set refresh rate to 60Hz?

I've given up on trying now and have just packed it up. Ordered a new FE that's arriving today. I believe that has the same processor but a bigger battery. Let's see how that fares.
    HellriderUKDeals69
    CalmerChameleon10/02/2022 09:36

I've given up on trying now and have just packed it up. Ordered a new FE …I've given up on trying now and have just packed it up. Ordered a new FE that's arriving today. I believe that has the same processor but a bigger battery. Let's see how that fares.

S21 FE or S20 FE? The S20 FE 5G is also very bad though it has the SD processor.
    CalmerChameleon Author
    HellriderUKDeals6910/02/2022 09:46

S21 FE or S20 FE? The S20 FE 5G is also very bad though it has the SD …S21 FE or S20 FE? The S20 FE 5G is also very bad though it has the SD processor.

20 FE. She honestly doesn't need the power so I'm giving this one another chance. If that fails we'll probably buy a S21 or chance a xiaomi.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants