Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Help installing windows 11 on new lenovo laptop

Posted 15th Aug 2023 (Posted 20 h, 35 m ago)
Hi guys hopefully someone can help,

I purchased a lenovo ideapad 5i 12th gen i5 12450h and chose no operating software to save £90.
Ive booted from the usb and installed Microsoft 11 but on setup you need access to the internet but no networks show up, the wifi card is not working im guessing as neither is the track pad ( currently using mouse in usb ), im guessing its a driver issue as ive entered the bios and wifi is enabled, unfortunately it doesn't have an ethernet port, i considered going out to buy a usb to ethernet adapter but doing a quick search online shows others yried that and the ethernet didn't work either.
Any help would be appreciated, im guessing i have to get the drivers installed through the bios somehow ?
TIA, Mark
Community Updates
New Comment

42 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Uridium
    Use Rufus to create the Win11 installer from an ISO instead of using the MS usb installer tool.

Using this method you can select the option to bypass the online account requirement.

Once built and logged in you can then just install drivers in device manager using a usb stick (edited)
    Mark_Hickman Author
    I managed to install windows 10 instead and will upgrade to 11 after its all updated and working.
    I installed the wifi drivets which worked but when going to device manager i get the below losds of unknown devices and when tryiny to install drivers from lenovo site its saying updates not required due to no device present, theres an auto scan on lenovo which identifies my laptop but says no drivers are needed.
    Really regretting choosing no operating software
    50792007-GDLUi.jpg50792007-caVL7.jpg
    Mark_Hickman Author
    Installing windows 10 i was able to get past the wifi problem and then i downloaded the wifi drivers to a usb and got the wifi working.
    But now windows says everything is up to date and track pad still not working and in device management theres loads of items missing drivers.
    I went onto lenovo support and it detected my device and did a scan but then says i dont need any drivers, soo frustrating and annoying
    Tried to install the drivers manually but theres multiple choices for each item, for example sound theres intel and realtek, how do i onow which drivet i need when i dont know the brand of the hardware inside ?
    I tried installing both the mouse and keyboard drivers and the trackpad still won't work, im really regretting trying to save £90 now 😔

Edit
    All of the driver installs say windows 11 on the lenovo site and none are available for windows 10 could that be the issue as im installing them on 10 ?
    Also noticed some installs such as mouse and keyboard state no device for update present, does this stop the install even though i clicked continue and finish ?
    That would explain the track pad not working still (edited)
    one_eight_seven
    Look for a tool called ‘Lenovo Vantage’ it should be available direct from Lenovo and Microsoft Store but recommend using the one from Lenovo, from here you should be able to do a scan which should pick up the required downloads.
    kipper641
    Just a thought,
    go to device manager, find the device you want to install drivers for, right click then properties.
    Details, select Hardware id`s right click and copy the PCI\VEN string.
    Paste into Google and follow your nose. Sounds long winded but only takes a mo in reality.

HTH (edited)
    adam.mt
    If you're missing loads of drivers, you likely won't be offered an upgrade from 10 to 11 via Windiws Update (since the computer will be seen as having compatibility issues).

Make a Win 11 boot USB with Rufus using the bypass Internet option. Download the WiFi driver for the laptop from the Lenovo website (if you're not sure which, then do all for your specific model) and save on the USB. Boot from the USB, wipe drive, and install Windows anew. When you've logged into Windows, install the WiFi driver, then run all Windows Updates. Repeat updates until you have all. Then, download and run Lenovo's Vantage utility and install all. Should then be good to go.

If you search, a kind user did a step-by-step install guide for another Lenovo model. (edited)
    Mark_Hickman Author
    Ill give this a go tomorrow thanks, still at a loss currently and gave up for the day as all of the above failed, only thing i haven't tried is rufus.
    I ordered a usb to ethernet to try install windows 11 that way too, thanks
    Mark_Hickman Author
    Thanks for all the help guys everything above was unsuccessful, i just didn't try rufus method as I'd had enough for the day.
    But yesterday i ordered a ugreen usb3.0 to ethernet adapter which arrived this morning, plugged that into the usb and it automatically installed windows 11 and downloaded all drivers via windows update in minutes.
    Seems the Lenovo drivers which do state windows 11 dont work with windows 10 at least not automatically anyway.
    Thanks for the help, im glad its sorted now
    Zakyy_
    Press shift and f10 on your keyboard then type on the command prompt oobe\bypassnro (edited)
    Mark_Hickman Author
    Shift f10 does nothing on the lets connect you to a network page, is this on boot ?
    The only buttons on the whole keyboard that work are volume up and down located at F2 and F3
    tardytortoise
    just double check that this lenovo does not have a mechanical means of switching on the wifi. it used to be some laptops had a button somewhere to switch wifi on/off and some had function keys or key combos which did the same
    Mark_Hickman Author
    That was my initial thought but theres no wifi icon on the board and googling found FN F5 which does nothing unfortunately
    50790888-GafQO.jpg (edited)
    Mark_Hickman Author
    Thats really useful and the same suggestion as zaky above but the keyboard wont work unfortunately
    NoSocks
    can you boot it into safe mode and get the driver on the machine that way?
    Mark_Hickman Author
    I dont know how to physically place the drivers where they need to go, i know i would need to download drivers in a root folder on a usb drive but after that im lost
    NoSocks
    I reckon the issue could be the USB controller drivers as without them, you won't get wifi, or the trackpad. Can you get to device manager to see if there are any errors? I had this problem before with machines that I tried to update the OS on
    tardytortoise
    have you bought this new? where from? how did you pay for it? when? at this point i am inclined to worry about your consumer rights. where did you buy Windows from?
    Setting up Windows 11 without an internet connection is easy BUT you will need wifi at some stage or another so it needs fixing.
    Mark_Hickman Author
    Direct from Lenovo, from a deal posted here last week, windows direct from Microsoft (edited)
    001Cisco
    Is it a must for installation of Win 11 need internet access?

I remember Win 10 allow you to skip internet access when install. (edited)
    Mark_Hickman Author
    Yes theres no skip option, im actually currently creating a windows 10 install on usb and going to use that and get drivers then upgrade to 11 because ive never used iso or rufus kethod so sticking to what i know and hoping for success
    tardytortoise
    I may be wrong, but it strikes me you could not have done all the WIN10 updates.
    In theory, your laptop at some stage should automatically detect it can be upgraded to WIN11 which of course you should do. If you are not being offered it yet download PC Healthcheck and run it.
    support.microsoft.com/en-…844
    Mark_Hickman Author
    Thank you this might help, ive been trying to figure out how to upgrade to 11 because it just says system upto date and theres no options following the links for check requirements etc..
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants