New Build Purchase - 28 Day exchange - being pushed to use builder's recommended solicitors

Posted 24th Oct 2021
I reserved a new build a couple of days ago and I am now being pushed by the builder to use a solicitor firm on their 'panel'. There is also a push to do a "28 day exchange". This is a house which is nearly ready, someone else was buying it, but I am told that the sale has fallen through as the buyer's downward chain broke. I am a first time buyer so they called me and asked if I wanted to reserve this house and I went ahead.

From my side, I am okay to get as quick as possible, but am not sure I should skip the searches.
Also, when I told the builder's sales office that I would like to exchange and complete on the same day, they have denied this and have said that they only do completion on the last day of the month.

I am not sure if I should use the solicitors recommended by the builders as these solicitors say that they will not conduct searches but instead will go for "search indemnity insurance" for £50+VAT.
Even if I go for the searches, the solicitor told me that we can exchange contracts even if search results are pending. It appears that there is a rush to do the exchange of contracts even if the legal work or searches are not complete.

The builders are after my life to use this solicitors firm, I have called a couple of local solicitors firms and all of them insist to do searches.

I am not sure if:
a) I should go for the search indemnity insurance
b) I should exchange contracts even if search results are pending

This is a greenfield site.

Any suggestions will be helpful.
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

32 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Get the searches completed and don’t exchange prior to receiving them. Be in the full picture. Don’t rush you’ll only regret it later. If they’re being rushy tell them your position. I once made a fatal error being rushed and am still regretting it. All the best of luck mate
    Ask yourself this one question.

Would you recommend to anyone to do what you are questioning?
    The real issue is that the builders solicitor may fail to warn you about a lease, lease terms or lease conditions. And may not do due diligence/warn you on things like rights of way, shared land access, other nearby planning permissions being applied for that may devalue your property. And I wonder if many of these mass-production solicitors are intern-farms.

In nearly all scandals that you hear about, the buyer used the builders solicitor. It really ought to be illegal for a builder to 'appoint' a favoured solicitor. (edited)
    I can hardly hear myself think for the loud alarm bells ringing on this one.
    kaku_lala24/10/2021 16:53

I reserved on Thursday evening and I have been given a 48 hour deadline to …I reserved on Thursday evening and I have been given a 48 hour deadline to instruct the solicitors and apply for mortgage,There is a stamp duty contribution incentive involved and also this house had some upgrades installed which do not come as standard (the previous buyer chose them as part of his option upgrades). I am told that these incentives are valid only when keep the 48 hour deadlines and exchange between 28 days. When I insisted that I will use my own solicitors, I was told that I will have to exchange within 28 days even if search results are not back by then

With all those conditions, it sounds like the developer is desperate for the sale. I wonder if he’s got money problems and needs to show his bank a guarantee of next month’s payment perhaps.
    If you were minded to jump through all their hoops (which I strongly advise you to walk away from), I’d be renegotiating your offer by £1000’s.
    I re-mortgaged a property several years ago with NatWest and made the mistake of using their recommended solicitor.

Had to continually chase them, had to do exactly what they wanted or they would not proceed with the mortgage and ended up costing significantly more than I was initially quoted.

Lesson learnt - they were acting in NatWest's interest not mine. Never again.

I would suggest finding your own solicitor, but based on your comments, I'd be minded to find another property as the developer sounds like they may be difficult to deal with.
    You can use and conveyancing solicitors just check they are registered and regulated. You will probably find that the recommended solicitors have some sort of arrangement let kick back with building firm
    If it fell through previous, perhaps for a reason. I would make sure to get the searches done rather than indemnity. Our house had a seller pull out, and they won't inform you of the reason and you will find out once you are there. In our case electrical issues due to water ingress in the basement wall, that cost us 5 grand to fix and trashed the garden even after additional surveys were done by us as we were super sus about the whole thing. The sellers just hid it well and refused to answer any questions about the property.

Was it built over a tip, subsidence, issues with the ability to mortgage the property, too near watercourses, going to build a prison 2 meters from your front door, land regraded as flood plain, oooeee so many issues that could be hidden by using the builders solicitors.

My parents built a house and did everything via the builders, and they failed to mention that the views over the fields were only for a few years because the builders had put in planning permission to build on the fields opposite, never informed my parents, and the whole reason they bought a house at 20% more than the others was removed.

Always remember, builder are not there to get you a home, just make as much money as they can. You are being sold the worse house on the estate, and they have come to get rid. Could be good, could be bad. Get an independent survey done, if not walk way. (edited)
    airbus33024/10/2021 22:40

They are around, buy cheap, buy twice

A solicitor friend of mine defined the definition of 'a shame' for me.

It's a shame if a bus load of solicitors drives over a cliff - with an empty seat.
    Will your mortgage company allow you to skip searches? I wouldn't dream of skipping searches but I have exchanged within 28 days twice now without an issue of timing. First time I used my own solicitors, second the recommended one, as the builders paid my legal fees if I did.
    Let's be honest, you're not buying a 'to good to be true mobile phone off eBay. If the eBay seller did "my mate, who I slipped a tenner, says its a good deal" would you accept the sellers word that everything was OK?
    A guarantee is only as good as the people who service it, not the people who sell it.
    Use, your own. Don't cut corners unless you can afford to throw the money away, and possibly losing even more money.
    i would get your own solicitor and do things your own way.
    use your own solicitor imho even if it costs way more.
    Use your own reputable solicitor. If anything goes wrong before or after the sale, your own solicitor is the one who will be on your side to sort it out. Your whole original post smacks of sharp practice by the builder.
    kaku_lala24/10/2021 16:58

Did you exchange even when the search results were pending?

Searches were done within 28days. I did have to buy an indemnity, but that was because there were a couple of covenants on the house we were part exchanging. I knew what they were from when we bought ( we didn't own the mining rites beneath the house and had the right to draw water from the spring in the next field) but if you're a first time buyer, that wouldn't be an issue.
    Typically new builds have a short time period (like your 28days) to complete. Using the builders solicitors means there can be no excuses from a legal perspective that it doesn’t happen.

When I bought a new build it was exactly the same, I’m sure the solicitors in question meet the appropriate standards. But check this and pay a little more attention to all the solicitor documents and all should be fine.

Was for me when I was in the exact same position as you.
    Walk away.
    airbus33024/10/2021 17:08

Use your own reputable solicitor. If anything goes wrong before or after …Use your own reputable solicitor. If anything goes wrong before or after the sale, your own solicitor is the one who will be on your side to sort it out. Your whole original post smacks of sharp practice by the builder.

"reputable solicitor"
    joyf453624/10/2021 22:43

A solicitor friend of mine defined the definition of 'a shame' for me.It's …A solicitor friend of mine defined the definition of 'a shame' for me.It's a shame if a bus load of solicitors drives over a cliff - with an empty seat.

So young and yet so cynical!
    Author
    andrewwedlock12324/10/2021 16:28

You can use and conveyancing solicitors just check they are registered and …You can use and conveyancing solicitors just check they are registered and regulated. You will probably find that the recommended solicitors have some sort of arrangement let kick back with building firm

Yes they are a member of The Law Society's Conveyancing Quality Scheme
    And Yes, they are regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA)
    Author
    I reserved on Thursday evening and I have been given a 48 hour deadline to instruct the solicitors and apply for mortgage,

There is a stamp duty contribution incentive involved and also this house had some upgrades installed which do not come as standard (the previous buyer chose them as part of his option upgrades). I am told that these incentives are valid only when keep the 48 hour deadlines and exchange between 28 days.

When I insisted that I will use my own solicitors, I was told that I will have to exchange within 28 days even if search results are not back by then
    Author
    psychobitchfromhell24/10/2021 16:39

Will your mortgage company allow you to skip searches? I wouldn't dream of …Will your mortgage company allow you to skip searches? I wouldn't dream of skipping searches but I have exchanged within 28 days twice now without an issue of timing. First time I used my own solicitors, second the recommended one, as the builders paid my legal fees if I did.

Did you exchange even when the search results were pending?
    Toptrumpet24/10/2021 17:00

With all those conditions, it sounds like the developer is desperate for …With all those conditions, it sounds like the developer is desperate for the sale. I wonder if he’s got money problems and needs to show his bank a guarantee of next month’s payment perhaps. If you were minded to jump through all their hoops (which I strongly advise you to walk away from), I’d be renegotiating your offer by £1000’s.

Always the way when I've bought new, because they need to produces sales figures for the month. Always ended up with an exchange rate of the last day of the month.
    I used builders solicitors when buying 2 newlybuild from 2 different builders, it was fine.
    However all searches were done and completed.
    28 days completion is normal aim for them but depending on circumstances takes longer.
    If houses is already nearly build, well if roof is on, you can't make amends and make kitchen choice, extra, sockets, doors, lights etc. (edited)
    Searches apparently taking ages at the moment.

anyone else already in the development? knock on doors and ask if they got searches back - can you get sight of them? (still take the indemnity and check v.carefully what it covers and what you get back under what conditions)
    MrFerret24/10/2021 20:13

If it fell through previous, perhaps for a reason. I would make sure to …If it fell through previous, perhaps for a reason. I would make sure to get the searches done rather than indemnity. Our house had a seller pull out, and they won't inform you of the reason and you will find out once you are there. In our case electrical issues due to water ingress in the basement wall, that cost us 5 grand to fix and trashed the garden even after additional surveys were done by us as we were super sus about the whole thing. The sellers just hid it well and refused to answer any questions about the property.Was it built over a tip, subsidence, issues with the ability to mortgage the property, too near watercourses, going to build a prison 2 meters from your front door, land regraded as flood plain, oooeee so many issues that could be hidden by using the builders solicitors.My parents built a house and did everything via the builders, and they failed to mention that the views over the fields were only for a few years because the builders had put in planning permission to build on the fields opposite, never informed my parents, and the whole reason they bought a house at 20% more than the others was removed.Always remember, builder are not there to get you a home, just make as much money as they can. You are being sold the worse house on the estate, and they have come to get rid. Could be good, could be bad. Get an independent survey done, if not walk way.

very often the reason is someone gets rejected for the mortgage after DIP.
    Walk. Away.
    Is this a national builder?

It is very common, dare I say standard, for national builders to recommend and incentivise you to use someone from their panel of solicitors and even their own recommended mortgage brokers as well as being strong on a 28 day exchange.

Some even refuse to let you talk to them until you've gone through a affordability check with said broker.

It is just about maximising profit. If you use their recommended people they get paid by those people. If you don't, they don't.

As for those upgrades - that's a bluff and a half. If this house is almost ready then it'll mostly if not entirely already be in place they're not going to start ripping things out, it'll cost too much.
    OP - why do you want to exchange and complete on the same day?
    There may be valid reasons for what's going on, but there seems to be a lot of red flags being raised. I would ask:

1. What is the builder in such a rush for me to buy this property?
    2. Why does the builder want me to use a solicitor chosen by them, and not allow me to choose my own?
    3. Why does the builder want to skip the searches?
    4. What happens if you've been sold a wreck? What guarantees are in place that everything will be fixed to your satisfaction after the sale has gone through?

If the builder can't/won't answer these questions to your satisfaction then walk away.
    Biggest purchase of your life ! Do not be builder into rushing our pushed into using there firms , find a local solicitor where you can fill go in to hand documents and sign documents. Using some random solicitor you will be sorry as went tie you ring you will get passed around
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants