Notarized affidavit question

Posted 12th Jun 2023
Hi All,

I need to Notarize an Affidavit.

I tried to Google search and it showed lots of private solicitors who are charging around £95 to £100 just to sign the affidavit in front of them.

Is there any way to get it done for cheaper or free (Google search showed that if I go to the local court...I can get it done but unsure...can anyone advise? Is it the county court I need to go to? Is it really cheap in the court or someone will ask similar fees like £100's)

Need some help and advice on the best way forward
Community Updates
New Comment

7 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Got mine done 10 years ago for a mortgage. Found a local Financial advisor who did t for me, FOC. (edited)
    Last time we needed one we had to go to one of those solicitors and they dust off their special stamp and you're out in minutes.

One time I had to get a form notorized and the only one I could find that was available was £250+, he was an ambassador to the UN! Mental amounts of red tape.
    Author
    This is just insane....."special stamp" costs a lot!!!
    Last time I did that I just walked into a magistrates court & got an authorised member of staff to do it. It was 20 years ago ish. Tell a lie, it was Bedford County Court.

Have a look into that because I cannot remember if it was free or not but it wouldn't have been much because I would have remembered that. They didn't even read it, just counted the pages & I think checked my ID & stamped it up. (edited)
    Author
    Thanks. I will check as well.
    A local law centre maybe able to help try both of these
    lawcentres.org.uk
    lawworks.org.uk/leg…you

I'm sure any contribution you cold make, they will find helpful.

And depending upon the subject matter there could be other charities/organisations that could help. Even your property insurance may have some free law provision.

You may also find this useful.
    gov.uk/gov…vit (edited)
    Not sure if certifying is the same as notarizing. Certifying is proving that a copy is a genuine, you take the original and a copy and they certify the copy. There's a list of roles that can sign it off here:
    gov.uk/cer…ent

I once had a copy of a power of attorney certified at a Jobcentre.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants