What's Amazon like without Prime

Posted 22nd Jun 2023
Sorry if it has already been discussed.
We've had prime forever and just thinking do we really need it.
Do you get free delivery but with just longer delivery time?

We don't watch Prime TV
We don't buy on Prime Day anymore as deals aren't as great.
So thinking we long as we plan buying in advance works we miss it?

Cheers
Community Updates
New Comment

41 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Prime is a proven scam... You shouldn't have to pay to enter a shop !
    Ive skated around it for years, had the free offers too - stuff appears to arrive at the same speed whatever.
    What on earth are you on about? 'Prime' is a LOT more than just a delivery service. (edited)
    If you spend £25 or more on Amazon fulfilled products then delivery is free anyway, I usually get quoted 3-5 days but it always arrives in 2-3.
    Also I can just send to an Amazon locker very close to my work for free anyway, doesn't work for alcohol or anything that needs ID though.
    Never paid for Prime, get offered it for free yearly, use it to binge watch stuff than cancel
    Never had it, tbh I don't know what it is anyway apart from I think next day delivery, perhaps I don't get out enough....or maybe I do !
    Free delivery (sometimes next day) and no £25 min. Prime Video. Prime discounts on selected products.
    It's awful. I've had to go into rehab.
    Author
    Thanks all it's cancelled
    I think you are right and you don't really need it, especially since you're not watching Prime TV.
    You could always cancel it and see how you get on. You might find you get offered free trials if you want to try it again.
    Or you could buy your stuff elsewhere.
    I tried the trial a couple of times and realised we spent more. Stopped it and now we buy what we really must buy. But nothing super time sensitive, so we just add to the basket until we hit £25. Delivery experience has been excellent and usually get it earlier than estimated. (edited)
    Agree with this. I was buying loads just because I had prime. Let it run out and I have saved loads
    Free local Pick-up is the real deal
    Yes, agreed, although not everything - alcohol, Sharpie pens (!), glues etc. - can be picked up.

Occasionally, when buying something that incurs a delivery charge we've been offered 7 Day Prime for 99p. It's definitely worth doing, but have to remember to cancel before it renews at full price!
    Very occasionally it's a free 30 day trial but that hasn't happened for a while. (edited)
    The perk of getting a items next day is very convenient.

Without next day delivery, you find you have much shopping options than just Amazon alone. But the then your having to have longer waiting periods when shopping online. (Unless buying in-store)
    They are being sued in the USA per the news item yesteray for conning people into prime deviously !

Read it up.
    I ditched it for a couple of months but missed it and signed up again. I missed the convenience of being able to order something on an evening and having it delivered the next day.
    Pointless paying for prime unless your relentless on Internet shopping or like watching a certain show. We get a free month around Christmas time. Had another one a couple of months ago and when it was nearly up they offered a month extension. My other account just had a 1 week free. Just open up a couple more accounts. Even without prime they seem to send stuff almost next day if not the day after. (edited)
    Just ditch it! Give it a month or 2 and see. If you really can't do without the next day shipping then start up again, but in reality you're not likely to be missing out
    We've had Prime for years as I got it at a student price. They're not budging now so I've not renewed it and just get things delivered to a local shop which is free and although it says 2-3 days so far it's been 1-2 days so not really changed in regards to delivery times either.
    You can get everything Amazon sells or fulfils delivered free to a locker or pick up point near you anyway so i haven’t paid for that service in two years and still get either next day or two day service for free to a local locker.
    Many items won't be sent to our lockers here.
    We do the household share so cheap enough.
    I don’t miss prime one bit!! I find most stuff on eBay cheaper with free delivery. I just have to wait 1/2 days more people want stuff yesterday that’s the problem! (edited)
    Same, i've not had prime since December and I've saved so much money from not buying junk.
    No prime here and almost everything i've ordered arrives the next night/dinner time anyway.
    not had it for about 6 months not a problem at all
    currently do have it as got 6 months free with my 02 phone contract .
    Key thing for me is the music as I've got an Alexa for that...otherwise I'd quit it too
    I stopped using it a while back; similar reasons to your's. Since then I haven't really been disadvantaged. The main thing I used most was the free delivery on items but now I tend to just wait until I need enough things to meet the free delivery value. It has also caused me to save more because I now think before spending. Previously, I would just think about something and order it immediately just because I could have it by the next day (or sometimes even the same day). Now, because I choose to wait until I have enough items for free shipping, even when things are in my cart, after a while I just decide I don't really need them.
    I ditched Prime when they increased the price. The only time I have missed it is for small one off purchases below the free delivery limit (£25?). For those items you can usually find the same thing on eBay at the same or lower price. Ditch Prime.
    Been a 'student' for a number of years. Never paid for prime and only use for free delivery. Rarely use the TV side of it. Music and books never use. Once 6 month free ends I cancel and then make another account
    Works well for me but then I'm not too bothered by guaranteed next day delivery. Although we do get a lot of stuff (when fulfilled by Amazon) next day anyway so it is swings and roundabout really.
    How does market sellers differ if at all between prime members and non-members?
    By definition: marketplace items are not eligible for Prime services.
    I buy less, shop around more.

Free delivery £25+ or free to a locker/collection point. If super in need/a rush I ask a friend to pay for me and send to my house.

's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants