What's the best way to clean old paving slabs?

Posted 7th Feb 2023
I've seen discussions about patio magic, jeyes, bleach, and the heavy duty farmers stuff on here about cleaning pavers. Mine are pretty stained, and green, I usually just power hose them, but really wanna get them as clean as possible. what's the best way? I'll be doing my driveway too (brick type paving)
Community Updates
New Comment

16 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Sodium Hypochlorite 15%

Make sure you wear PPE when using.
    That may be the most effective but God only knows what it does when it leaches into the surrounding soil.
    Far better to not use chemicals in the garden, just water through a pressure washer. (edited)
    One major concern arising from sodium hypochlorite use is that it tends to form persistent chlorinated organic compounds, including known carcinogens, that can be absorbed by organisms and enter the food chain. These compounds may be formed during household storage and use as well during industrial use.

As I've already said, not something I'd want to put any where near a garden.
    screwfix no nonsense heavy duty degreaser agitated into heavy stains using brush on a drill or a patio brush on a jetwasher - on block paving weed spray in advance and use kiln sand to infill paver gaps after jet washing (edited)
    The patio of the place i bought looked very dirty, i bought a jet wash (Karcher K5) and this came with a patio attachment which did the job.
    I'd say the same but Im not sure if its ok for block paving due to the sand they use between the blocks but I suppose you can get new sand and brush it in.
    Box of Daz or other cheap soap powder and brush. Especially if pets about
    I used Wet n Forget, it's pretty effective but does take time to work.
    however still need to keep on top of it.
    I have mixture of wood and porcelain tiles in the garden.

I have used lots of different types of cleaning stuff...
    Now just using jet wash and to be honest can't tell much difference..
    Although the chemical way is the quickest and easiest (particularly effective with aggressive chemicals) it does come at a cost (environmental, soil quality, plants, pets, children etc). You need to plan for a prepare for/prevent that cost in your job if using such.

I found power washing as effective, if not more than most (not all) chemicals and although potentially messy for a bit, you didn't have to worry about all of the above dangers
    Jet wash for me which takes long time as I don't have a patio brush.
    Jet wash is very effective.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants