Why aren't all TV channels HD?

Posted 12th Dec 2020
Is it expensive or is it technical limitations? Love them all to be HD on Freeview.
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

27 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Good question. We’re on the brink of 8K TVs and still on Sky we have 101 as BBC in SD. Also, if you watch 115 for HD, when regional news comes, it says you have to go to 101 to watch in SD....lol.

Why have 2 channels, SD and HD. Just stop broadcasting the SD one.
    I remember the days when colour was a novelty and we only had three channels. The times, they are a changing.
    jsac12/12/2020 20:41

People pay for a TV Licence - as bad as that is! I wouldn't dream of …People pay for a TV Licence - as bad as that is! I wouldn't dream of insisting they upgraded their equipment to be able to get BBC1 HD

People had to upgrade their TV’s or buy a freeview box when they turned off the analogue signal.
    Higher quality means increased costs in both the making and transmitting.
    Some providers simply cannot justify the costs especially with the old repeated programmes being made with a lower resolution.
    I would imagine HD requires stongers sattelites because of the increase frequency being pumped for the extra infromation (non tech talked here)

Same reason that when the weather is bad you'd be better switching to the non hd issues for less issues
    There's money to be made, in offering HD for a price. (Looking at you, SKY) .
    Basically each multiplex can carry a set amount of data. In the old days one channel took up one frequency, with digital 8-10+ channels are multiplexed into one frequency. Let's say each multiplex has 20mb per second and that has to be devided between all the channels. It's been a while but I believe SD channels are anywhere from 1-4mb each. Some channels pay for more bandwidth etc so look better anyway in SD. Hd channels are on different multiplexis and have a different encoding standard. If all channels are converted you would get people again who wouldn't be able to watch as their TV or box doesn't support it. Also as the frequencies get shifted they free up additionally spectrum for 4/5g etc.
    HD channels require much more bandwidth, and there's limited total bandwidth available because the Government keep selling parts of the frequency range previously used by terrestrial to mobile companies.

I think it is about time where a channel is broadcast in both HD and SD that the SD version was turned off, viewers who still have a TV/ box with a tuner that only decodes SD would have to buy a new Freeview box to recieve and downscale it, but they are cheap and it would free up some bandwidth. (edited)
    Money
    psychobitchfromhell12/12/2020 20:44

I remember the days when colour was a novelty and we only had three …I remember the days when colour was a novelty and we only had three channels. The times, they are a changing.

When I was a lad, I remember only having two. (edited)
    As with most things it's profit driven, there is no technical reason why they can't transmit 8k signals...
    Common video resolutions are SD (480p), HD (720p), full high definition or FHD (1080p), and UHD (4K). The problem with 4K is that there are also different standards of 4K (TV & Cinema)
    It's not just to do with bandwidth, there are also many other elements to it.
    There is a legal requirement in the UK to ensure those that are registered blind can receive TV signals (!)
    ofcom.org.uk/__d…pdf
    TV stations are allocated certain frequencies that they can transmit on, if they transmit 4K channels it reduces the amount of bandwidth available and therefore reduces the amount of channels they can broadcast.
    Not everyone in the UK has a TV set capable of showing HD content.
    There is also the issue surrounding actual content to transmit... SD is relatively cheap and commonplace, making a 4k HD programme requires greater expense and closer attention to detail (You need 4K cameras, better lighting, etc...)
    There are a few other concerns, but I'll let you discover those with the power of Google...
    Stronger sattelites?
    There are only a certain number of mux's available for HD and some regions have more than others
    HD does need a higher s/n than SD channels so those in weaker reception areas wont get them or they'll break up but thats not the reason there's fewer (edited)
    Dolla Dolla Bill Y’all.
    £
    Why are they even still broadcast? Move them all online and let people stream them in the highest resolution their broadband can handle.
    Asura12/12/2020 20:33

Why are they even still broadcast? Move them all online and let people …Why are they even still broadcast? Move them all online and let people stream them in the highest resolution their broadband can handle.

Some still get very poor broadband speeds out in the sticks ruling this out.
    Many more are still on copper connections up to 17Mbps and would have bandwidth issues if other users were using the Internet (Netflix, gaming etc...).
    Author
    melted12/12/2020 21:19

When I was a lad, I remember only having two.

Every lad should have two lol
    aLV42613/12/2020 03:08

Northern Ireland have agreed to upgrade the infrastructure to ensure …Northern Ireland have agreed to upgrade the infrastructure to ensure hi-speed broadband across the province, £165M investment...https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-54967504#:~:text=A £165m deal to,Economy to broadband provider Fibrus.

Good for them, stuck with 15mb FTTC here despite being a stone throw from a virgin supplied home out the back.

I have to supplement my broadband connection with a 4g service.
    steveo7313/12/2020 08:06

pointless for lot of channels as lot of content is pre hd like seventies …pointless for lot of channels as lot of content is pre hd like seventies 80s etc

Actually anything pre 2009...
    Author
    But isn't Freeview signal from an antenna rather than sattellites?
    melted12/12/2020 20:01

HD channels require much more bandwidth, and there's limited total …HD channels require much more bandwidth, and there's limited total bandwidth available because the Government keep selling parts of the frequency range previously used by terrestrial to mobile companies.I think it is about time where a channel is broadcast in both HD and SD that the SD version was turned off, viewers who still have a TV/ box with a tuner that only decodes SD would have to buy a new Freeview box to recieve and downscale it, but they are cheap and it would free up some bandwidth.

People pay for a TV Licence - as bad as that is! I wouldn't dream of insisting they upgraded their equipment to be able to get BBC1 HD
    winzzz12/12/2020 20:45

People had to upgrade their TV’s or buy a freeview box when they turned o …People had to upgrade their TV’s or buy a freeview box when they turned off the analogue signal.

That was for Digital....not HD

People had to upgrade their TV’s or buy a freeview box when they turned o …People had to upgrade their TV’s or buy a freeview box when they turned off the analogue signal.

ohhhhh i see what you mean - digital or HD - they had to change, but if the suitable system provides SD then the 'provider' upholds their legal oblogations

And when they turned 405 line B&W TV off.
    Don't even bother watching TV if its not HD, it looks god awful.
    George-Podge12/12/2020 20:43

Some still get very poor broadband speeds out in the sticks ruling this …Some still get very poor broadband speeds out in the sticks ruling this out.Many more are still on copper connections up to 17Mbps and would have bandwidth issues if other users were using the Internet (Netflix, gaming etc...).

Northern Ireland have agreed to upgrade the infrastructure to ensure hi-speed broadband across the province, £165M investment...
    bbc.co.uk/new…504
    pointless for lot of channels as lot of content is pre hd like seventies 80s etc
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants