Best Camera Phone - with headphone jack

Posted 26th Aug 2023
Hi

I've had the Sony Xperia IV since March (off here for about £370). Generally love the phone but I dropped it in a bucket of dirty thick black oil and it won't charge properly and the sound is knackered. My insurance won't fix and can't get a replacement so have refunded me the market value (which is significantly more than it cost)!

I'm debating either waiting for another Xperia deal to pop up or should I consider an alternative? Thinking the Google Pixel 7 Pro or blowing the budget on a S23 Ultra or adding to the mix the Honor Magic 5 Pro. What's the best camera?

It also absolutely must have a headphone jack too.
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Author
    Oh fab, that may be a good alternative so

Oh fab, that's brilliant - just need to decide on a decent phone now with the best camera. (edited)
    Asus ZenFone 10, or a second hand Zenfone 9

Both have the best chips from the year they released, have a headphone jack, and (best of all) are a sensible size!
    There is some conflicting information there. All the alternatives you have suggested (pixel 7 pro, Samsung s23 ultra, Honour Magic 5 pro) don't have a headphone jack which you said is an absolute must.

Unfortunately headphone jacks are getting rarer. I think either going for another Sony (maybe another 1 IV or even going for a 1 V) or maybe a Poco F5 but that's quite a bit lower spec than the other handsets you suggested. (edited)
    Author
    Thanks I hadn't specifically checked if they had a headphone jack. I don't use wireless headphones so I need something that I can use wired headphones on (even if I have to get an adapter). Oh well, looks like it will be another Sony.
    Sony 1 V
    Asus Zenfone 9
    Pretty much all the phones without headphone jacks can be used with a usb-c adapter - as above, just plug it into the usb-c port and use any wired headphones.

No need to have a heaphone jack on a phone any more
    Author
    Thanks, yes I didn't realize you could get an adapter. I've read some reviews of the camera on some of the phones mentioned here and they don't seem brilliant. I'm wondering whether to hold out for the Samsung S23 Ultra or the Magic 5 Pro.
    Get another Sony if it must have a native headphone socket. Have you tried bathing the phone in methylated spirit or something that can break the oil down?
    Author
    The adapter will be fine, I'm leaning towards the Honor Magic 5 Pro.

I haven't tried methylated spirit as I've got insurance and didn't want to invalidate any insurance. If I squish the phone oil comes out and I can't hear anyone when they call. Charging is sporadic too. It was dirty engine oil drained from a vehicle!
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants