Buildings Insurance Trace & Access Claim Advice Required

Posted 1st Sep 2022
Looking for advice/guidance on the following scenario as have been lucky in never needing to raise a buildings insurance claim before.

In brief, we had a leak in the ground floor dining room, claimed on home insurance under trace and access cover, chap came out and repaired - all good.

As expected, the solid oak flooring was damaged when being uplifted to gain access to the leak but reinstatement is covered as part of the claim.

The insurers advised to get a quote from a local fitter, submit to them and they will review and advise.

Found a local fitter to quote to supply and fit replacement flooring for the affected dining room - he advised that as the flooring runs from the dining room into the hallway, we should claim for the whole area to be replaced as it would be difficult to find matching flooring for our existing 15+ year old solid oak floor and that the insurers should appreciate this.

Even though we were more than happy for just the affected dining room area (4 sq m) to be replaced and a door threshold installed where it meets the hallway (1 - 2 sq m), the fitters comments didn't seem unreasonable.

The local fitter duly provided his quote for the dining room and hallway which we have forwarded on to our insurers - the insurers have referred onto a third party company called Building Validation Solutions to review and approve/decline the claim and I now need to contact them to schedule a surveyor visit.

When the initial claim was raised, my insurers were very vague with the details of what is or isn't covered and genuinely gave the impression we could claim for whatever was required to make things right hence why, along with the fitters advice, we claimed for the hallway as well.

Reviews of BVS are not good but my immediate concern, and the reason for posting, is to ask if the surveyor from BVS visits and rejects the claim outright, will that be the end of the matter or can the claim be adjusted/re-submitted for just the affected dining room area to be replaced? Alternatively, I'm not sure whether to obtain a new quote from the fitter for just the dining room area and to then re-submit to my insurers now so they can either approve themselves or again refer to BVS.

TIA.
Community Updates
New Comment

9 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I've read similar before, and insurer only paid out on damaged area not whole downstairs area. Will try and find it.
    Author
    Thanks.

This raises another concern - the damaged area is about half of the dining room floor as only this amount had to be uplifted to access and repair the leak - would any claim only cover this small area?
    I've had dealings with BVS, they just try and get you to accept as little as possible. They offered £599 then £750 to repair the Mother in Laws bathroom after a long standing hidden leak. Just refused the offer , the actual cost to repair the bathroom was over £6000. So be very insistant if they make offers less than your quote .Check your policy to see if it includes 'Matching items' , if it doesn't they may not cover the hall. Mum in Laws tiles were discontinued and without match items she'd have had the wall that was repaired in different tiles to the rest of the bathroom. BVS insisted that she didn't have this cover but I read the policy and she'd paid an extra £15 for it. The Mother in Law was 89 at the time and BVS could have easily conned her in to taking the first offer of £599 if I hadn't been involved. They also wanted her to get 3 quotes herself to put things right , at the time it couldn't be assessed as flooring needed to be lifted , etc. to find the extent of the damage. Royal Sun Alliance were a pain but eventually made them appoint their own repairers as an 89 year old woman shouldn't be expected to do all this herself. The insurance was through Nationwide Building society , at the time they were using RSA but previously they used UK insurance . On a previous claim UK insurance gave them a claim manager and sorted all the work themselves. She was never told that NW had changed the company , wouldn't have any thing to do with RSA again. (edited)
    I had a surveyor out for my leak at old house in downstairs toilet.

They paid for the whole hallway to be refloored as well as decoration which covered the hall, stairs and landing as it was all one colour, which of course would have been impossible to match.
    The guy was spot on and suggested things I'd have never have thought of!
    Nope, if surveyor rejects it’s not end of matter. Don’t accept the offer if it’s money from from your pocket.

There is a reason buying policy is 3 clicks job done online but claims journey is long, tiring and mostly offline (for all kinds of insurance) so stick to what they owe you and also mention what was told on call by customer service which lead you to believe that you are doing what’s covered in policy.
    Author
    Thanks for all the replies.

Had hoped for a smooth claim as I don't have the time to potentially chase this down to resolution but, as I now know what I will be in for, have steeled myself for a fight.

Appointment booked for later this week.
    I hope it goes all smooth for you.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants