Can online shop charge me restocking fee?

Posted 31st Dec 2015
An online shop is attempting to charge me a 25% restocking fee for returning a computer part as it has been opened. Item was returned with 14 days and they agreed to return. This product has been returned complete and in "as new" condition under change of mind cancellation within 14 days.
The box has been opened without damaging or marking the product or packaging, this is following their return policy to the letter.

Had this been written on their returns policy page I would never had agreed 25%, I would have lost less selling privately. Never have I been charged a restocking fee and I dont see how any business can expect returning customers with such a policy. They even sell open box items but note they are not marked down 25% so they are profiting off restocking fees.

But when I called to complain they pointed out that deep within the terms and conditions (a different page to returns policy) they reserve the right to charge 25% restocking fee for "excessive handling". Who decides this? Any returned item cannot be sold again as new so all business will take a hit on a return.

Can I challenge them?
Community Updates
23 Comments
Post a comment