Pleases & Thank yous

Posted 20th Mar 2023
Has anyone else noticed the distinct lack of pleases & thank yous in discussions recently?

So if anyone reading this is after advice then my first bit of advice would be to add a please or a thank you to your thread.

You will get a better response.

Thank you for reading
Community Updates
New Comment

36 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    MicroManaged
    Thanks

Or even any sort of response when you help someone else. 9/10 you get ghosted. (edited)
    IceIceLady
    I certainly have, I used to use this site so much back in its day (other old account but lost password). It isn’t what it used to be.
    People think it’s some kind of personal shopping tool, asking for discount codes or help without saying please or thank you, as though they’re asking google or something I pulled people up on it for a while but I think it is society as a whole now unfortunately.
    Myusernamehasgone234
    Absolutely I think your right about people expecting a personal shopping service.

Some people just pm me for codes over and over again like I'm some kind of robotic code generator 🤖
    HappyShopper
    Yes, has been going on for a while.

People aren't going to change so I have scaled back the amount of assistance I now give - I think if this is done collectively, the penny might drop.

Also, the number of questions posed where the OP could find the answer by typing the exact question they have asked on HUKD into Google instead seems to be at an all time high.
    Alexanderlocks
    Lost count the amount of times I see a post that is so easily resolved by using Google first
    Alexanderlocks
    Yes I've noticed. Sometimes I comment sometimes I can't be bothered. Don't understand how people can forget such basic manners or expect people to go out of their way to help when they can't even get the basics right.
    Myusernamehasgone234
    Yeah your right, people ask for help and you reply and they don't even acknowledge your comment with a like, let alone a reply.
    Jessica321
    I posted an "identical" discussion post ages ago and I don't see things have improved, sadly

Manners cost nothing

I just skip past a post where there is no please or thank you and try and help the "polite" person instead

Thank you for posting though as another "reminder"
    JHD007
    Manners cost nothing and this isn’t a new thing (recently!) I used to comment on some posts saying ‘ please or thanks ‘ and the mods would delete them saying I was being argumentative
    Md_Yusuf_Islam
    It really irks me how people don’t bother to give thanks or even say please , it’s usually on the discount code request threads that appear every so often in the discussions . But also when you’ve taken the time to respond to someone with some advice etc and they completely ignore it 
    bobdylan
    Plus the amount of 'help' that people seem to require, the mind boggles! Not sure how they manage to get through the day...
    CatsWithThumbs
    I once worked with a lady who had quite a needy family. One day she received a call from one of them, obviously I only heard one side of the conversation but it went pretty much word for word:

"Well have you got your coat on?"

"Oh, well have you put your hood up?"

Rmcstar
    Please don't ignore the OP's advice!

Completely agree - thank you for posting
    Why_so_serious
    Can you please stop inciting hatred against us entitled ones.
    Thanks!
    Dude1971
    You're welcome :-)
    RedNWhite
    That's the standard response for those who walk through a door you've just held open, only to not acknowledge it at all... Gets my 🐐
    sm9690
    A 'very regular' discussions poster is highly guilty of this
    SaturdayGigs
    Not so much now tbh
    RedNWhite
    Got any codes for Argos?
    Kammykay
    49806863-zoaWe.jpg
    Mark_Hickman
    Looks look glenandem, hullabloo, Elu_sive and fairy's burn things all joined your list today (edited)
    Willy_Wonka Author
    There are just loads at the moment Mark. So much more than last year.
    Canary0500
    It looks like I'm in the minority here, but I don't see it as a problem. It's easier to forget to add a please or thanks online compared to in person. I don't think 9/10 times it means the OP is bad-mannered. Most of the time I wouldn't even notice that a please or thanks hasn't been included.
    Willy_Wonka Author
    I know you do not mean it but frankly you are talking rubbish.

Have a look at your own threads in discussions.

Almost always you say "thanks".

So, it kind of contradicts your post.
    newbie68
    I'm with the minority here. Motive is important as with anything. Although guilty myself at times, I try not to rush to judgement as to why someone has said something that irritates me, including a lack of appreciation. It's easy to assume it's an indication of a character flaw, but sometimes other things may be going on and today is not representing themselves in their best or even average light.

Don't get me wrong - I have been known to pull people on it also (whilst regretting it also. I'm just saying - don't be so quick to reach judgement of someone in absence of appreciation.
    MildmanneredCalvin
    Manners cost nothing. Like being an entitled so and so ain't free neither
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants