Price hike is real…

Posted 13th Feb 2023
As of today, the same egg I always buy is now £1.99
It was £1.18 then £1.29 then 1.32 then 1.59 then 1.79 and now £1.99…… unbelievable! This happened in 8 months.

4085885_1.jpg

4085885_1.jpg
Community Updates
New Comment

56 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    bozo007
    Eggs have a different problem not related to the overall inflation situation. There has been a massive culling of poultry, over 140Mn globally in 2022, due to a record avian flu and replacements haven't fully happened yet.
    MonkeysUncle
    Exactly this.
    I looked into the buying dept, they usually have tens of thousands of eggs available to buy but they only had 2800 units available to order last time I checked.

Other items I agree are a right rip off and obvious profiteering. Bags of hardwood logs for example are £3.30 to buy but sold at nearly £9.
    solid
    Inflation has now just become an excuse to rise pieces and increase profits
    PAISAL
    eggstortion
    revdesol
    Get out
    Change_Me
    yeah inflation rate 10% is a flat out lie, surprised most of uk aint doing riots like in france every weekend about it
    Jay_Ma Author
    Worrying time 😞
    Joe90_guy
    Strong white bread flour from Lidl was 59p/bag in March 2022. It's now £1.15 so virtually double! Given the cost of heating the oven, it's hardly worth baking your own bread now.
    What annoys me is that after rocketing up to record prices, the global price of wheat is now back to what it was BEFORE things kicked off in Ukraine. This is just how it was in the '70s. Suppliers shove their prices up regardless of whether their actual costs go up & simply hide behind 'inflation' as a convenient excuse.
    iby2012
    Basically causing inflation themselves. They make up everything go up 20% and then, say we'll inflation is up 20% and do it again...
    nemesiz
    Normally wouldn't suggest direct Government intervention, but the independent financial bodies need to be politely asked to investigate the Supermarkets and large Corporations. There is obvious evidence of collusion, fixing and hiking of prices, stock control and other illegal Oligopolistic practices. Unfortunately the consumer, farmers (and animals) but also staff welfare suffers. Basic commodities were always either protected, or loss leaders (products sold at lower than cost) to attract customers to the store, but the astronomic price gorging is unacceptable and creating a dangerous precedence. Understandably we shouldn't need to subsidise food production, but when poultry and cattle farmers complain about losing money, going bankrupt as the Supermarkets fail to pass on profits and demand savings the industry cannot afford. Ultimately consumers suffer.

Currently the consumer is seeing record yearly food inflation from 10-80%, worse than late 70's, and wages can't keep up! This is hyper-inflation territory that could lead to uncontrolled price spiral but worryingly people starving as they can't even afford the most basic subsistence foods (i.e. potatoes, corn, flour, eggs, cheese, fats, salt, sugar, bread etc). The other concern is that the Supermarkets are removing, reducing or shrinking their value range or simply hiking the prices up so now it's a double whammy for the consumer. Of course Supermarkets need to make money, but not unrealistic profits to the detriment of their customers.

(Please note I'm not going into Companies takeover and acquisitions (i.e. Morrisons, Heinz - Kraft etc) which is part of the cause of price hikes as it would take too long. (edited)
    Gollywood
    Lidl 4 pack beans. 99p

Went up to £1.19 now they're £1.69.

Definitely not 11% increase.
    moneysaver80
    Richer get richer
    AMaky
    Those who say oh but inflation is 11%, why prices on some items gone more, really have no idea how things work!?
    or what goes in growing/rearing/producing food.
    Maybe they should teach some basics of real life and common sense at school....
    M4tt31
    Farmers have been saying for over a year now it wasn't worth them replacing they're birds as costs where too high hence the shortages recently as less produce, with the addition of avian flu the price of eggs was always going to go up higher than inflation. I just hope the price increases have gone to the farmers rather than the supermarkets taking an additional cut.
    Backinamo
    They will want to replace now due to egg prices.  Is that the cobweb theorem in practice?
    MungoSplodge
    We have chickens and what started out as a nice cheap(ish) pet... its now become a giant money pit. I dont think i could eat enough eggs over the rest of my life to pay for their big fancy home in the garden
    MadeDixonsCry
    Sell the eggs then.
    sm9690
    You're not comparing the same supermarket though. Top screenshot is ASDA and bottom is Tesco. 15 eggs in ASDA are £1.79
    airbus330
    Local egg farm announced closure and plan to redevelop the site into light industrial units. Been in business for over 40 years. Stated reason is legislation changes, including cage size and population density rules making the operation unviable. Tricky, seems if we want kinder eggs we have unkind prices. Sure there are other issues affecting too.
    joyf4536
    I like Kinder eggs, they're yummy.
    Alexanderlocks
    Lidl's have also gone up £1.79 the other day. All these little increases add up in the end. For let's say a small £20 bits & bobs shop that money doesn't stretch far these days end up walking out with hardly a couple bags full.
    Admast79
    Yesterday I was doing shopping at Tesco.. no eggs at all except a fre small boxes of 6.. took one, scan it, seen the price (£3.80!), put it back.

Sorry hon, no crêpes tonight.
    joyf4536
    Just come back from the supermarket and I have never seen so many eggs, half an isle of them.
    BringItOnDown
    They want people off animal products and onto bugs and insects to lower the make believe carbon footprint so expect more "bird flu" outbreaks etc all inline with Agenda 21
    bracey100
    15 eggs from farmfoods was 1.00 now 2.50 crazy
    Jay_Ma Author
    I remember that Iceland had the cheapest large eggs … but now it’s astronomical
    abigsmurf
    Cost of feed has skyrocketed, cost of heating barns has sky rocketed, cost of farming fuel is still high. Avian bird flu forcing chicken to be kept indoors and restricting movement of birds... It's an expensive time to be a chicken farmer. Fresh chicken is also incredibly expensive at the moment, £4 a pack for even the most saline injected low grade chicken breast possible seems to be the norm now.
    SaturdayGigs
    Tesco usually link to Aldi and Lidl on egg prices
    Alexanderlocks
    Not this time. Lidl is currently at £1.79 for the same lot of eggs.
    Misslovely
    Every thing has gone up! Even MOT £10 more at local garage and he blames inflation!!!
    The prices mechanics charge has gone up .
    Our wages haven’t!!!
    solid
    Yep, and yet the government continues to say that raising wages will cause more inflation!!!

Can't afford anything any more these days
    Speculator
    Potatoes stayed about the same.

Albert Bartlett red is still £2 for 2kg. Pretty sure it was this price before the cost of living crisis. (edited)
    joyf4536
    We were paying £7 per sack now £9 so ABOUT 28% increase
    austinc
    Same with the Aldi Cheese I get. Was £1.79, now £2.69. My fear is retailers will get comfy with charging these prices even if/when inflation goes back down.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants