TESCO screening questions. Could anyone help

Posted 9th Jan 2018
I am trying to apply for a job at tesco Customer Assistant but am unable to get past the screening questions. dose anyone known the answer , thank you
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

32 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    dose should be "does" . I hope that helps
    mutley109/01/2018 10:31

lol at all the replies.sorry OP, but it is pretty obvious to us (and probab …lol at all the replies.sorry OP, but it is pretty obvious to us (and probably tesco) that you are not going to be suitable to work there. best look for something else.

Let's be honest here...

You have no idea if OP would be suitable to work in a Tesco store and if he/she has never worked in that environment then the answers to the questions they ask on their recruitment forms may not be immediately clear, hence the OP's question here. Nobody should be ridiculed for attempting to find employment and seeking help.

Frankly, for you of all people to come in to this thread and treat OP with disdain for asking a question on this website is laughable.

If you can post some of the questions that were asked perhaps, like suggests, we can help you think along the right lines. (edited)
    mutley137 m ago

i am not one to criticize people for spelling and grammar when posting on …i am not one to criticize people for spelling and grammar when posting on the internet as it is not required for informal posting and it is perfectly acceptable (in my opinion) to spell words incorrectly and use slang language instead of the formal english on the net.however, the OP is asking about answering questions on a job application form and his writing is really bad, even though he has written a short sentence. imagine how bad it would be if he actually wrote a whole paragraph!he failed the test for a reason and it is not possible for anyone to help him pass it as i doubt the tests would have the same questions for every entrant, to avoid the very thing that the OP is looking to do.

If you find fault with OP's spelling and grammar then perhaps you should find a constructive way of letting them know instead of scoffing at his/her attempts to find a job.

You are a truly selfish individual who will spare no thought when posting your hundreds of nonsense questions on this website instead of clicking the first link in a Google search, wasting everybody's time with your drivel, yet when somebody posts a question seeking actual help you deride and mock them.

Unbelievable (edited)
    miikeyblue9th Jan 2018

If you can't get the questions right, you may not be the right person …If you can't get the questions right, you may not be the right person they're looking for...

I could probably have worded this better, sorry, was a hurried reply.

What I meant was, if someone else gives you the answers to whatever the questions are, you could well be offered an interview under false pretences. As has been said above, these questions are to judge your suitability for the role, how you answer them will directly affect a decision on whether you should advance further in the recruitment process.

Should you then be offered an interview, you may become unstuck as there will likely be more questions along the same theme. For us to answer the questions and then put you in that position would be unfair on you, and a waste of everyone's time.

What were the questions? I don't wish to answer them for you, but we may be able to get you to think along the right lines.
    Do you have to submit the answers in writing?
    If you're not into teamwork there's a couple of positions vacant with Theresa May!
    lol at all the replies.

sorry OP, but it is pretty obvious to us (and probably tesco) that you are not going to be suitable to work there. best look for something else.
    mutley109/01/2018 11:31

i am not one to criticize people for spelling and grammar when posting on t …i am not one to criticize people for spelling and grammar when posting on the internet as it is not required for informal posting and it is perfectly acceptable (in my opinion) to spell words incorrectly and use slang language instead of the formal english on the net.however, the OP is asking about answering questions on a job application form and his writing is really bad, even though he has written a short sentence. imagine how bad it would be if he actually wrote a whole paragraph!he failed the test for a reason and it is not possible for anyone to help him pass it as i doubt the tests would have the same questions for every entrant, to avoid the very thing that the OP is looking to do.

Maybe the OP is of the same mindset as you, and just posts like that on forums and actually on the application form uses correct spelling and grammar?

Regardless, they should be applauded for trying to get a job, and not told to look for something else by someone who has no clue how qualified they are.

My offer stands - post the questions. I won't give you the answers but I'm happy to guide you.
    mutley19 m ago

which is why i am not going to apply for the job

And it's also why, when you regard yourself as a 'professional', you shouldn't criticise others for errors you make yourself. Some may struggle to believe you are in the position you claim to be in, with your grammar as it is - though I'm sure you'd be the first to dispute it.

Give the guy a break, stop putting a downer on him and knocking his confidence. If you've nothing nice to say, move on.
    mutley19th Jan

I don't recall the questionnaire for Tesco involving any writing. You just choose an answer.
    You need to complete the CV online first and that's where they might notice bad writing if they even notice it.

Not all supermarket foreign workers have impeccable English and they still get employed... If OP speaks OK and good enough to be understood and understand they'll be fine IMO.
    The question you ask is somewhat vague. More information needed to answer.
    You may as well be asking 'Is this piece of string long enough?'.
    If it’s the multiple questions option, your answers have to be based on teamwork more than individual options.
    SerpentSuicide09/01/2018 07:17

If it’s the multiple questions option, your answers have to be based on t …If it’s the multiple questions option, your answers have to be based on teamwork more than individual options.

However, if this is correct I would suggest you don't go for a position where you interact with people. Have you ever thought about being a lighthouse keeper, a zoo keeper or even a prison warder in Dubai?
    deleted108021509/01/2018 08:11

However, if this is correct I would suggest you don't go for a position …However, if this is correct I would suggest you don't go for a position where you interact with people. Have you ever thought about being a lighthouse keeper, a zoo keeper or even a prison warder in Dubai?

For jobs listed above try the civil service job website lol.
    SerpentSuicide09/01/2018 08:21

For jobs listed above try the civil service job website lol.

If he's not very customer oriented maybe 'civil' is a misnomer?
    deleted108021509/01/2018 08:31

If he's not very customer oriented maybe 'civil' is a misnomer?

Trust me there’s nothing civil about a lot of civil servants from my experiences with them. (edited)
    RossD8909/01/2018 10:45

Let's be honest here...You have no idea if OP would be suitable to work in …Let's be honest here...You have no idea if OP would be suitable to work in a Tesco store and if he/she has never worked in that environment then the answers to the questions they ask on their recruitment forms may not be immediately clear, hence the OP's question here. Nobody should be ridiculed for attempting to find employment and seeking help.Frankly, for you of all people to come in to this thread and treat OP with disdain for asking a question on this website is laughable.@145ah If you can post some of the questions that were asked perhaps, like @miikeyblue suggests, we can help you think along the right lines.

i am not one to criticize people for spelling and grammar when posting on the internet as it is not required for informal posting and it is perfectly acceptable (in my opinion) to spell words incorrectly and use slang language instead of the formal english on the net.

however, the OP is asking about answering questions on a job application form and his writing is really bad, even though he has written a short sentence. imagine how bad it would be if he actually wrote a whole paragraph!

he failed the test for a reason and it is not possible for anyone to help him pass it as i doubt the tests would have the same questions for every entrant, to avoid the very thing that the OP is looking to do.
    miikeyblue09/01/2018 14:12

Maybe the OP is of the same mindset as you, and just posts like that on …Maybe the OP is of the same mindset as you, and just posts like that on forums and actually on the application form uses correct spelling and grammar?Regardless, they should be applauded for trying to get a job, and not told to look for something else by someone who has no clue how qualified they are.My offer stands @145ah - post the questions. I won't give you the answers but I'm happy to guide you.

let's hope so, but some how i doubt it. i would try to help anyone get a job but from what i and others (as i am not the only one with this view in this thread) have gathered, the OP is not going to get very far with this application if his written english is what it is in his original post. it is probably one of the major reason why he failed the test.

there is no point in applying for jobs that you have no chance of getting as failing to get jobs will just make you feel demotivated and you would waste time and effort chasing something that is never going to happen. as much as i believe in reaching for the stars, there is no point in getting a strain injury trying to do so.

if the questions are always the same, which i have already said that i doubt they would be, then there is nothing wrong with giving the OP the answers, but that is still not going to help him get the job as this is only the screening stage and so the tests are only going to get harder.

i stand to be corrected of course, if it does turn out that the OP can write good english, and is only doing so in this post as it is a post on the net.
    tregs09/01/2018 20:25

English - just saying

Author
    thank you everyone for your replays i have been unemployed for a long time due to a wok accident and now also have some health problems. i am fed up trying to apply for job, the job centre no help there have got rid of disability offer which was trying help me

i am apply for jobs at minimum wage nothing big but with my disability there some jobs i am not suited for i known the disability act but no one cares about there make other reason not give the job

i had a rubbish Christmas no holiday for very time just fed up that why ask for help with screening questions i know get wrong screen out that job

if any ceo or anyone want to give me job in the west midland please let me know i am very kind hard working person thank you
    145ah3 h, 46 m ago

thank you everyone for your replays i have been unemployed for a long time …thank you everyone for your replays i have been unemployed for a long time due to a wok accident and now also have some health problems. i am fed up trying to apply for job, the job centre no help there have got rid of disability offer which was trying help me i am apply for jobs at minimum wage nothing big but with my disability there some jobs i am not suited for i known the disability act but no one cares about there make other reason not give the jobi had a rubbish Christmas no holiday for very time just fed up that why ask for help with screening questions i know get wrong screen out that jobif any ceo or anyone want to give me job in the west midland please let me know i am very kind hard working person thank you

So what are you good at? What can you offer an employer?
    145ah4 h, 34 m ago

thank you everyone for your replays i have been unemployed for a long time …thank you everyone for your replays i have been unemployed for a long time due to a wok accident and now also have some health problems. i am fed up trying to apply for job, the job centre no help there have got rid of disability offer which was trying help me i am apply for jobs at minimum wage nothing big but with my disability there some jobs i am not suited for i known the disability act but no one cares about there make other reason not give the jobi had a rubbish Christmas no holiday for very time just fed up that why ask for help with screening questions i know get wrong screen out that jobif any ceo or anyone want to give me job in the west midland please let me know i am very kind hard working person thank you

No offence, but alwayss proof read what you type / write before posting / sending.
    145ah10th Jan

I'm not trying to cause offence but reading between the lines I take it English is not your first language. Your lack of correct grammar, non-existent punctuation and poor spelling make your posts extremely difficult to read, as they would be for a prospective employer. If you are seriously looking for work may I suggest you get some tuition in basic English beforehand. (edited)
    Author
    Yes English is not my first language but i did say i have some health problems i dont want to talk about them here and what can i offer an employer is I am a hard-working able to work effectively on my own initiative, but also enjoy working as part of a team and always willing to support others and i am very kind friendly person as well
    I worked for Tesco in 2016 and passed the questionnaire obviously.

Yes, just remember you're supposed to always put the customer first (if they ask where something is, you take them to where the item is and show them. I'm sure there's a question like that in the questionnaire. You don't tell them to wait until you're finished with your task and you don't just point at where the item is. When you start working then you'll probably just point at where something is or give them directions but that's not the correct way :p. I always like to show the customer anyway).

Remember to answer according to their principles and that they value teamwork.

You don't need to be anything special to work in a supermarket. I worked the night shift so had almost nothing to do with customers... Depends on what the position is. (edited)
    OP - irrespective of how i may come across as being insensitive and criticising you for your bad written english, i am actually trying to help.

it is very difficult to find a job and supermarket jobs are very competitive because everyone wants to work in them so you are up against a lot of applicants, whose english is better than yours because it is their first language. they may also have experience working in a supermarket before so they are at an advantage.

i do not think that i would be guaranteed to get a job at a supermarket if i applied because of how many people apply for one position. i have a better chance getting a professional job than i do getting a job at a supermarket because there are very few people applying for professional jobs in the area that i work as not many people have the experience or the knowledge to do the work.

sometimes when i apply for a job, i am the only suitable candidate so i am not exactly competing with anyone.

as english is not your first language, spend time learning english to improve, especially written english. apply for jobs that are not customer facing as then good english is less important. catering jobs tend to be easier for someone without good english, so what about catering jobs in school, restaurants, pubs.

just start some where, even if it is not great, but having any job is better than having no job. it is also easier to get another job if you already have one, as employers prefer to employ someone who already has a job than someone who has been long term unemployed.
    mutley111/01/2018 13:34

OP - irrespective of how i may come across as being insensitive and …OP - irrespective of how i may come across as being insensitive and criticising you for your bad written english, i am actually trying to help.it is very difficult to find a job and supermarket jobs are very competitive because everyone wants to work in them so you are up against a lot of applicants, whose english is better than yours because it is their first language. they may also have experience working in a supermarket before so they are at an advantage.i do not think that i would be guaranteed to get a job at a supermarket if i applied because of how many people apply for one position. i have a better chance getting a professional job than i do getting a job at a supermarket because there are very few people applying for professional jobs in the area that i work as not many people have the experience or the knowledge to do the work.sometimes when i apply for a job, i am the only suitable candidate so i am not exactly competing with anyone.as english is not your first language, spend time learning english to improve, especially written english. apply for jobs that are not customer facing as then good english is less important. catering jobs tend to be easier for someone without good english, so what about catering jobs in school, restaurants, pubs.just start some where, even if it is not great, but having any job is better than having no job. it is also easier to get another job if you already have one, as employers prefer to employ someone who already has a job than someone who has been long term unemployed.

You've no idea how his spoken English is. It could be pretty fluent for all you know.

And how does another applicant having supermarket experience put them at an advantage, when you know nothing of the OPs employment history?

Instead of suggesting he "aim lower", why not suggest something constructive? How about asking if he's considered a course, which would likely be free given that he's currently unemployed, to help him improve his language skills?

Mutley, at times you really do come across as quite pompous and judgemental, and pretty narrow minded. He came here for help with a few questions, not to be told that based on one or two forum posts you've decided he's not right for the job at all and he should go for something a little less taxing, somewhere he can be hidden away and not have to deal with people.

If someone wants to achieve something and improve their situation, the worst thing you can possibly do is tell them they're not good enough to achieve it.

You've no idea what you're talking about.
    miikeyblue11th Jan 2018

You've no idea how his spoken English is. It could be pretty fluent for …You've no idea how his spoken English is. It could be pretty fluent for all you know.And how does another applicant having supermarket experience put them at an advantage, when you know nothing of the OPs employment history?Instead of suggesting he "aim lower", why not suggest something constructive? How about asking if he's considered a course, which would likely be free given that he's currently unemployed, to help him improve his language skills?Mutley, at times you really do come across as quite pompous and judgemental, and pretty narrow minded. He came here for help with a few questions, not to be told that based on one or two forum posts you've decided he's not right for the job at all and he should go for something a little less taxing, somewhere he can be hidden away and not have to deal with people.If someone wants to achieve something and improve their situation, the worst thing you can possibly do is tell them they're not good enough to achieve it.You've no idea what you're talking about.

i am not going to argue with you as there is no point in this and it won't help the OP. if the OP's english is poor, then he needs to spend time improving his english. just being able to speak good english without being able to write good english is not going to help in the long run in getting jobs and live in the UK as he will be disadvantaged.

being long term unemployed is also a bad idea so getting any job first of all is better than no job. once you have a job, you can always start to look for better jobs. having a job also give you confidence when you go to an interview as it puts less pressure on you to get the new job since you still have the old one if you fail to get the new one.

there is no point in applying for jobs that you will not get or putting effort and time into applying for jobs that you will not get. you should concentrate on your strengths and spend time and effort on jobs that you realistically have a reasonable chance of getting. you should also spend time improving your strengths and over coming your weaknesses, so instead of the OP applying for hundreds of jobs mindlessly, which all take time to do, he would be better off concentrating on improving his english and applying for jobs where good english is not so important.
    RossD8909/01/2018 12:04

If you find fault with OP's spelling and grammar then perhaps you should …If you find fault with OP's spelling and grammar then perhaps you should find a constructive way of letting them know instead of scoffing at his/her attempts to find a job.You are a truly selfish individual who will spare no thought when posting your hundreds of nonsense questions on this website instead of clicking the first link in a Google search, wasting everybody's time with your drivel, yet when somebody posts a question seeking actual help you deride and mock them. Unbelievable

Well said you read my mind.
    after reading several more comments I can see points on both sides, but the bottom line is someone asking for help, is it to hard to try and give it.
    all I can do is wish you luck you go for it kind regards.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants