The Gadget Show

Posted 26th Oct 2022
Does anyone else hate the new format for The Gadget Show. The house based rather than studio based format finding household gadgets theme is kind of boring and repetitive. Not the same without the team challenges.

I didn't actually think Craig Charles was really a good fit so not bothered about him leaving. But I think there is a lack of dynamic with just 3 presenters. Thought it was the perfect opportunity to bring back Suzi Perry.
Community Updates
New Comment

48 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Not been the same since Perry & Bradbury days, never seen him on tv since! I watch it nowadays because there's no other show like it on Freeview tv.
    He's living in Newquay Cornwall enjoying life out the limelight. Does the occasional conference and after dinner speaking but apart from that it's just socials based interactions and reviews
    Haven't watched it in years but have caught a few snippets here and there and it does seem far removed from its successful early days. Is it still on C5/Five?

They did the same thing with Fifth Gear - had a winning formula for a few years and then decided to change it and become more like Clarkson/Hammond/May Top Gear which didn't really work.

IMHO, Fifth Gear should have stuck to the void left by TG which was focused on every day cars and car related consumer issues.
    I've seen some 5th gear episodes on a sky channel. They do review normal cars. Much more so, than top gear do. They even did a mini series on ev's.

I still watch Top gear, but it really is just a comedy show now.
    Bring back Jason Bradbury and Suzi Perry Off The Telly, from when the Gadget Show was good.

Last week's programme was reviewing a mesh network and capsule coffee machine. Meh!
    Author
    Robert Llewellyn would be a good replacement for Craig Charles. Then maybe Chris Barrie. You can see where I'm going with this.
    It's cold outside
    Theres no kind of atmosphere...
    Agree…I did think it needed a change but this is worse.
    It's been getting worse as it goes on
    Suzi Perry dm'ed me on Twitter and told me she was leaving The Gadget Show about 6 months before she did. She still follows me to this day.

That's my claim to fame
    How strange that she'd pick a random stranger on Twitter to dm and let them know!
    Author
    Jon Bentley was reviewing push chairs a few weeks ago. When have push chairs been considered a gadget?! (edited)
    Did any of them have Bluetooth?
    I’ve recently been watching the Everything’s Electric and Fully Charged channels on YouTube. Robert Llewellyn (Kryten) covers electric vehicles on one and sustainable energy on the other. A couple of shows about energy positive housing recently were very good. Covered a house called Moonstone. Worth a watch if you like that sort of thing.
    He's also been doing a lot of advertising videos "advertainment! if you will....
    Yes it's very poor and laboured these days
    I've watched the show since the very first episode and I'm really struggling with the new format. While I have no strong opinions on Ortis, I like Georgie as a presenter but this new format really isn't working for me.

I think it shows how good a fit Craig was for the show as well because the curmudgeonly old man played off the others pretty well.

I'll probably stick with it but I hope they go back to the regular format next series if they can find a replacement for Craig.
    Author
    I find Jason Bradbury kind of annoying at times but he became part of the furniture. I remember they changed the format in 2012, I think it was called The Gadget Show: World Tour with Jason Bradbury and Pollyanna Woodward. The format didn't work and the producers realised it and they reverted back to the studio format for the following season. But at lease Pollyanna was gorgeous.
    They should bring her back or at lease get a completely new presenter.

Hopefully they'll realise this change hasn't worked and revert back once again.

If Jon Bentley leaves I think I'll stop watching. (edited)
    Can you lease Pollyanna? Shame lease deals are banned on here
    Gotta agree with most of the people in this thread, it's just a shallow husk of what it used to be. It's overdue for a trip behind the shed.
    I remember when they showed it early morning, by early I mean for a 20 year old unemployed guy. Thought to myself how great this would be in the prime time slot, would watch it every week. I then watched the prime time version for like a month and just thought it was too much like Top Gear. Would just rather watch Top Gear at the time.
    To be really honest with the whole programme/concept i think its dead.

Why you ask?

Because in the past technology was advancing and everyone was amazed. Today nothing seems to be advancing as big as a pace like before. There is nothing that really wow's us anymore... Its nice there is a new iphone release but that doesnt change the fact it is the exact same as last year's just more megapixels, faster ram and processor....

In past years they had stuff to talk about, there was new gadgets for the house etc that really were revolutionary.
    This - I guess this is why I stopped watching as they really didn't present anything new or exotic. I guess it's the same reason why Tomorrow's world got axed.
    Suzi Perry always seemed sarcastic, Jason Bradbury did try and Jon Bentley I could tolerate, sadly for me I think "magazine" format shows are dead now.
    Maybe it's the time of day the TV is on (I no longer watch live TV - there is no content I enjoy)., but it appears to me that is dominated by self help or "cash generating" shows - like cash in the attic or whatever the "Duke" is hosting these days...

More proof that television is a thing of the by-gone era and most of it is pure rubbish.

Why anyone would switch on The Gadget Show for some impartial reviews of new gadgets and technology, rather than watching, arguably, better produced Youtube content, is beyond me.
    Author
    I used to watch like 3-4 shows concurrently. Things like Lost, Battlestar Galactica, The Good Place etc. These days I hardly watch 1 or at most 2. Don't have streaming services like Netflix. Only currently watching Andor. Last decent thing I watched on the BBC was The Capture. TV seems to be have been dumbed down with cr*p like The Repair Show or whatever else they show these days. Why has the BBC scrapped things like Stargazing Live?
    I guess it's all down to audience & viewing figures (I suppose the BBC have to sell their programmes to other networks, which could explain why they make more universally appelaing programs (pun intended!)). Lost had so much promise and then ruined it after the first season. the Battlestar Galactica reboot is something I own as a boxset and I just can't get into it. The Good Place was a fun series while it lasted, the kids even watched it a second time round! Andor, omg, so boring. George Lucas was right when he stated the reason he made episodes 4, 5 & 6 first was they had the most action to bring in the audience - for me everything else has been padding around that universe (The only saving grace is the end scene of Rogue One where you get to see a glimpse of the power Darth Vader has!). Seriously - did we really need to know how Han Solo got his name?
    Author
    The first 2-3 episodes of Andor were boring. I almost gave on it. But it really started going. Last two episodes seem to be treading water though.
    It's nothing like as good in my opinion but I feel like they are trying to reach a different and younger audience. I'll keep watching but the current format for me just isn't working at all
    Author
    Really I think the exact opposite. I think they are targeting a more mature audience. Is your twenty something next gen millenial really interested in push chair reviews etc?
    It's redundant unfortunately. YouTubers for gadgets. Couldn't stand Jon Bentley. Liked Suzie and Jason
    I have stopped watching!
    i did like previous format ( i even like the guest appearances by different people) but this new format for me does not work!
    So goodbye The Gadget Show!
    Do they still do the 5 min win all this crap via txt rubbish?
    Author
    Think it's longer than 5 mins now.
    Just goes to show that Youtube dominates the tech industry with Youtubers showcasing their content & reviews.

Television channel are declining on views as younger generation are just jumping on streaming platforms as it is cheaper.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants