URGENT HELP PLEASE!! My upvc french doors wont lock

deleted155578's avatar deleted155578
Posted 28th Nov 2010
Hi everyone,
For some reason my back doors refuse to lock. The handle lifts up ok but the key wont turn. The lock works fine when the door is open and the door has started to feel really stiff, it was fine earlier today.
Getting a bit worried now because i don't want a door left unlocked overnight as it's just me and my two daughters living in my house.
Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

27 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Have they frozen with ice?
    has it got ice in it?

Snap
    (edited)
    hairdryer to lock if its ice!
    As above.

Spray with WD40
    I would not use WD40 as it attracts rubbish, use it on the locks themselfs, but not the keyhole... the best way to loosen up a lock is to get a pencil and draw loads on a bit of paper so you get a lot of pencil graphite filings build up and then bend the paper to get them all together and blow them into the keylock and push in with the key
    look down at the place where the door shuts and make sure there's no small stone or something. happened to me once and found out it was a tiny stone blocking the lock mechanism.
    if the lock is working fine when doors open theres nowt wrong with that, sounds like its not lining up with the other door right try lifting one or the other as you turn the key.
    Author
    it can't be ice as the lock is working when the door is open, just when it's closed it wont.
    missp27

it can't be ice as the lock is working when the door is open, just when … it can't be ice as the lock is working when the door is open, just when it's closed it wont.

the hole that the lock goes in might have ice in it then
    Author

r4ge

look down at the place where the door shuts and make sure there's no … look down at the place where the door shuts and make sure there's no small stone or something. happened to me once and found out it was a tiny stone blocking the lock mechanism.

missp27

it can't be ice as the lock is working when the door is open, just when … it can't be ice as the lock is working when the door is open, just when it's closed it wont.

have checked the hole where the lock goes and there's no ice or stones etc
    Author
    maddogb

if the lock is working fine when doors open theres nowt wrong with that, … if the lock is working fine when doors open theres nowt wrong with that, sounds like its not lining up with the other door right try lifting one or the other as you turn the key.

i've tried that but shall have another go..
    cannyscot

As above.Spray with WD40

If you have some. do the lock and the levers etc in the side of the door as well.
    Its possible the door may have dropped a bit so grip it and lift as ahrd as you can and try and lock it again...if all else fails call a local locksmith, they are usually on callout 24/7
    it might be a good idea to call out a upvc door repair guy, they'll charge for coming out but it'll be worth it.
    Author
    r4ge

it might be a good idea to call out a upvc door repair guy, they'll … it might be a good idea to call out a upvc door repair guy, they'll charge for coming out but it'll be worth it.

i privately rent my house so i think i'll give the landlady a call tomorrow
    do you have a rape alarm or shed alarm? They can be fixed across doors so that if they open the wail goes off
    Maybe get someone on the other side of the door to lift it a little while you lift the handle, I would imagine you keep unlocking and locking it at some point the key will turn.
    "Who's been bashing your back doors?" Keith Lemons fav saying oO
    (edited)
    As above, they tend to drop after a while and the lock wont line up properly
    Mine does this. I have to force the handle further over into the close position at the same time as turning the key. Give it a try.
    If they are French doors with two handles facing each other you could always tie them together to give you a little more security, not entirely safe but better than nothing.
    I'm shocked at the lack of back door jokes!
    Hope you get it sorted, i wouldnt be going to bed at all if i had to leave the door unlocked!
    Author
    my key has just given me a massive blister on my finger have tried wd40 and that has just made it turn smoother when the door is open
    luckily i've found the key to the inside conservatory doors (the door i can't lock is the outside conservatory ones) my kids computer is in there so a bit worried only one handle so unfortunately can't tie them

deek i'm going to try your suggestion once i've found a plaster!
    Some upvc doors can be adjusted if you have the tools (torx screwdrivers or allen keys) to do so.
    Get something to wegde under the handle then so it cant be turned from the outside.
    Just Make Sure They Are Locked TIGHT !!!!!!

[image missing]

sounds like it has dropped slightly so needs adjusting up at the hinges
    Author
    well i don't know what happend, i tried all your above suggestions but after ages of trying the handle suddenly clicked up on notch more and started working again
    thanks for all your suggestions everone
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants