Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Wales Could Scrap Logos On School Uniforms to Help Families Lower Costs

Posted 19th Oct 2022
Wales' government, in the person of Education minister Jeremy Miles has announced a consultation on proposals to make school uniforms more affordable.

The plan is scrapping the logos on all school uniforms in order to allow families to purchase items from a retailer of their choices at a possible cheaper price.

4011851_1.jpg
According to The Children’s Society, a family pays on average £337 for a secondary school uniform and £315 for a primary school one.

With the cost of living crisis, this has become an excessive expense for a lot of families and the Welsh government is trying to come up with a solution that satisfies people while being in crunch time.

At the moment, students in Wales can apply for the Pupil Development Grant, which helps with the cost of uniforms and school items.

Nearly 100,000 children are eligible for this grant, but with the current situation is clearly not enough.

These are a few quotes from Mr.Miles interview on the topic:

4011851_1.jpg
“The Welsh Government is doing everything we can to support families through this cost-of-living crisis”

“I know that a lot of schools work hard to keep the cost of their uniforms to a minimum.

“However, there are still too many instances where families are being expected to spend eye-watering amounts just to send their children to school.

“We are launching this consultation so that we can take further action in order to support families.”

The consultation will run until the end of November and parents, carers, pupils, governors, teachers and uniform suppliers are being asked to respond to it.

In case the plan will be kickstarted there are a few options to be explored:

• The use of school branding and whether schools should have no logo at all or use iron on logos available free of charge.
  • Whether schools should enter into single supplier contracts, while views on the role of schools in uniform recycling and exchange schemes are also being sought.

What is your take on the topic? Is scrapping logos a valid help for families to cut down costs on school uniforms?
Community Updates
Megathread
New Comment

15 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    All they need to do is allow the badges to be bought separately then let parents sew them on..... exactly what used to be allowed when I was a kid....50 years ago!

Uniforms with these logos on the trousers/skirts/shirts etc is purely profit making with schools doing deals with certain manufacturers.
    Author
    Yeah I think this is one of the options they are discussing about...getting the families to receive free of charge logo patches to iron on the children's clothes.
    Seems to be the high schools that enforce these uniform rules. Ridiculous really.
    My high school was just shirt and black jumper. Never had these embroidered blazers.
    It's a joke really! Thought the whole point of uniform is that everyone looks the same no matter what background you come from! Single and low income families struggle with the cost! There's a clothes bank at my daughters school which says everything!!
    Author
    I totally agree on this point in particular...in Italy they sometimes try to bring in uniforms with the concept of avoiding kids picking on classmates from lower income families (kids can be brutal), but putting those families in a chokehold forcing them to spend so much money PER KID is unbelievable.
    Some schools are still having a laugh with uniforms.
    The high school two of my kids are at now have branded Nike p.e kit we have to buy..cost is eye watering.
    Author
    I am sorry...BRANDED Nike kits? like the kids are in premier league or something.

Basically you can't even search for similar items discounted on line because of the branding then...that is a bit mad to be honest. Not to nose around in your business and you don't have to answer this...but how much is per kit? I am shook!
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants