Amazon and 'big box' PC components

Posted 1st Feb 2023
Just wanted to ask from others who have bought motherboards/graphics cards from Amazon - when you've had them delivered, have they put them inside their usual Amazon boxes, or have they just posted them without any packaging whatsoever?

Reason I ask is the last 2 things like this I've bought from them, they've just slapped the delivery label on to the product box and sent it like that, no other packaging at all. Both occasions it's caused the product box to get beat up a bit in transit (as you might expect).

Wondering if this is normal behaviour for Amazon or if it's just my neck of the woods where they don't bother putting them inside proper boxes.
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Item arrives in packaging that reveals what's inside. To hide it, choose Ship in Amazon packaging.
    << Ship in Amazon packaging.>>

49454203-qhyHl.jpg
    Author
    I'm pretty sure the items I've mentioned didn't have that in their description though. I will triple check next time though in case that is an option.
    I ordered a motherboard from Amazon and the motherboard box was inside a standard Amazon box
    I had a 13600K (£339.99) put in A4 cardboard envelope and the guy tried to shove it through the letterbox. As he was about to leave I opened the door and took it out told him don't you need a OTP ? and he looked at his PDA and said oh yeah, so there you go quality job

blimey (edited)
    Monitor came from Amazon just in the standard OEM box, I wasn't sure if I was content with that or not knowing how Amazon shove them into oversized boxes and then they rattle around, at least this wasn't rattled around just thrown around and then into the warehouse and vans.

Seemed okay though so

Admittedly I do avoid buying components from amazon for those reasons. At least usually from a more electronic only dedicated shop you do get decently packaged items. (edited)
    I know they sometimes ship MOBOs with the basic packaging. Honestly don't understand why considering how delicate some PC parts can be..
    Author
    Exactly, this is the point I've made when contacting their customer service on both occasions...PC parts are delicate. Amazon seem to go overkill on packaging on the most basic of items (e.g. buy a pack of biscuits from them, you get it in an oversized box with loads of padding), yet when it comes to expensive PC parts, they sometimes don't seem to use any packaging whatsoever.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants