Any Smart Meter electricians?

Posted 11th Feb 2022
I had a smart meter fitted two days ago. I am on economy 7. At midnight the smart meter is not switching on my heating & hot water as it should, so I have no heating or hot water. I have had two engineers visit, both say the meter is working perfectly. They can manually turn on the economy 7 circuit and can feel the storage radiator heating up. Their technical support say they can read the meter and is is running and updating perfectly. But there was a fault reported by the meter on the day of installation, this was cleared the next day. The only idea the engineer have is that the error clearance may not have updated on the meter yet and I should wait till midnight to see if it works then. If it does not work tonight they intend to put a classic meter back in tomorrow. As I have difficulty walking a smart meter would be a great help to me.
I need suggestions as to what they could check if the meter does not switch on tonight. Has anyone come across this before?
Community Updates
New Comment

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    If it doesn't work after midnight, before reverting back to a 'classic' meter, ask if they can try another smart meter.

BTW, when I had our smart meters installed, I asked the chap if he was a qualified electrician and I am sure he said no.
    Get a smart meter they said, would be great they said.
    Author
    To wrap things up. First a thank you to those that got involved, I was glad not to feel alone. On Friday night the economy 7 failed to turn on again, and I got an emergency call out on Saturday, The engineer said he could not fit snart meters on an emergency call out and could only fit a classic one, I would only get a smartmter by booking a smartmeter installation. I was feeling prety ill and ground down so accepted the classic meter. With that installation the economy 7 turned on.
    I would have preferred a replacement smartmeter in case the original was faulty but there seemed a reluctance to do that. On the Eon.Next help forum there was a suggestion I could get a monthly meter reading done, so I may pursue that.
    Can't see how a meter would affect storage heaters, unless you lose all electricity when economy 7 kicks in.
    Perhaps your storage heaters need resetting? (edited)
    Author
    deleted12678311/02/2022 12:27

Can't see how a meter would affect storage heaters, unless you lose all …Can't see how a meter would affect storage heaters, unless you lose all electricity when economy 7 kicks in.

I still get electricity at midnight when the storage meters and hot water is supposed to turn on. However the circuit they use is not switched on. It worked perfectly for 10 years until the smart meter was put in.

Toptrumpet11/02/2022 12:41

Perhaps your storage heaters need resetting?

The hot water is also not heating up. And there is only an off/on switch for the heaters. Also the engineers can manually turn on the economy 7 circuit and they operate fine. (edited)
    My guess is there is a fault at your meter end where it switches to the economy mode at night, for the heating and hot water. When you say they can turn the heaters and hot water on is this by using the boost features, if so that will run from your day consumer board/ meter.
    Best off waiting for it to reset at midnight. No point trying anything else till then as it might make it worse..
    Author
    I think there is a prolem with the meter. When they turn the heating on, they go intot he smartmeter cupboard and make the smartmeter turn on the economy 7 circuit. The problem is that circuit is not switching on at midnight.
    Switching of heaters is done by a heating controller, and not the meter surely ?
    Definitly a meter issue. If you look at this photo from one of my properties the meter has two live outputs, one for normal useage and another for economy 7. One of the live outputs then feeds into the fuseboard seperatey for the heaters and hot water.
    I would assume the OPs is similar or the same.

46886432-zrrIb.jpg
    EDF were pushily marketing their smart meters to my tenant. Tenant asked me if to go ahead. I called EDF telling them it was an Economy 7 system (think it's got a new name now) with 2 circuits, was that going to work? Yes they said, appointment booked. When the electrician turned up he took a look and said his smart meter wasn't compatible and EDF would be in touch when they get the right meter. That was over 2 years ago, never heard from EDF since.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants