Battery nightmare

Posted 25th Mar 2023
Just had a "power station" start smoking. I just woke up from a nap and heard a funny sound, can't even remember what it sounded like now but turned my light on and saw a bit of smoke coming from my power station (coming from the side where there is a fan) on the shelf, not plugged in or doing anything. Quickly grabbed it and took it downstairs and put it outside, whole house stinks now. It is supposed to be a LifePo4 one which I thought were safer! I'm guessing one of the batteries swelled for some reason? I bought it on Prime day last year it was this one: amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1 it was about half charged 50-60% and last used about 2 weeks ago, no reason for it to spontaneously combust!

I think it has stopped smoking now. I don't know whether to contact Amazon or what. Looking online it says this "Sorry, this order is not eligible for a refund under the A-to-z Guarantee because you have not yet submitted a return request to the seller. Please request a return via the Online Returns Centre and allow the seller two days to get back to you." a refund would be nice as it cost £140 but probably won't get one. Just a bit shocked really!
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

52 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    MicroManaged
    Less than a year old i assume?

Go on amazon chat or call them and they will sort it.
    Zek Author
    Yeah Ordered 22nd November 2022, was one of the prime days. My dad said it smelt like electrical wiring (casing) smell like it might have been a short (edited)
    Willy_Wonka
    jeff@amazon.com

Just email above & tell them to refund & then pass it on to health & safety.
    Zek Author
    Thanks, I have wrote a message to the seller now, I didn't even ask for a refund just told them what happened and has it happened before etc. Perhaps I should have asked for a refund in retrospect (edited)
    AndyRoyd
    Yeah Ordered 22nd November 2022, was one of the prime days.

Unbelievable timing, if you paid by debit or credit card.
    When was it delivered?
    You have max 120days from delivery to notify the card issuer of a chargeback claim,
    which may in effect expire today Sun 26 March 2023 assuming it was caught up in the usual delayed BF deliveries,
    or too late if delivered on or prior to 26 Nov 2022
    but please check my maths.

Otherwise a refund effectively rests on the goodwill of the assumed foreign seller,
    or similar goodwill gesture from Amazon.

And just to prevent other distracting suggestions:
    there is no S75 opportunity on a marketplace sale, regardless of £100+ qualifier.
    Zek Author
    It says it was delivered on 25th November. Was a debit card. It was Hoverfly UK: amazon.co.uk/sp?…L1N
    It says return window closed 31st Jan 2023. Not really expecting a refund really. Just want to get the horrible smell out of my nose!
    Easy.Action.Baby
    Once you have been refunded, leave a short and factual review on amazon. E.g. "Four months after purchase, the power station started to make a funny noise and started smoking and smelling of what we think was defective electrical wiring. "
    Muig1972
    Just a bit shocked really

Don't know why you're shocked- Amazon is full of dodgy unregulated electrical .
    AndyRoyd
    Excellent.
    Bookmarked as precedent for future ref example of successful A-Z claim at 4 months after purchase.
    Will be interesting to see if Amazon amends its A-Z phraseology otherwise sellers can counterclaim.
    Willy_Wonka
    I wish I knew what A-Z meant
    qbs
    Have a read through this .

"How long do you have to return a faulty product? - 30 days-six months: You must give the retailer one opportunity to repair or replace it before you can claim a refund."

In any correspondence, keep it factual - it was smoking and had a strong acrid smell - and don't speculate as to the cause.
    AndyRoyd
    Utterly unrealistic to expect OP to enforce local legislation on the foreign seller,
    and there is no requirement to return a faulty product unless the seller wants it back,
    in which case the victim only needs to make it available for collection,
    and do we really expect the foreign seller to immediately pay silly money to arrange return?
    Hilarious.
    GlitchFace
    Amazon are usually on top of any electrical issues. Same with most suppliers/manufacturers as they could be liable for injury or worse.
    MicroManaged
    They really aren't.

They consistently sell unregulated, dangerous electrical appliances. This has been on Watchdog and the like and they still continue to do it.

There has even been deals on here where its clear to see they won't have a BS mark yet they are still continued to be sold, and also advertised on here despite deals being reported.
    Zek Author
    Just talked to Amazon customer service, I sent the seller a message on Saturday but no response after 3 days (2 business) and now Amazon have contacted the seller themselves and told me to give them another 2 business days to respond. The seller only seems to be selling one item last I checked
    Zek Author
    The seller never replied. They have started the process to claim a refund by the Amazon A to Z guarantee, investigation/decision can take up to a week. I added some extra info clarifying some things. (edited)
    AndyRoyd
    Respect to Amazon if from 01 April 2023 it is providing some sort of A-Z "Guarantee" modification,
    although from the current AZG it is not clear what element of the AZG is being modified as there is no obvious provision / eligibility for what is effectively a warranty situation (functioned OK on receipt and for an extended period then catastrophic failure).

Certainly the seller will be able to rebuke a warranty claim within current AZG arrangements as there is no provision for warranty claims in the existing AZG structure.
    Amazon may in future unilaterally choose to change the on-receipt (past tense) terminology
    ...received the item but it was defective, damaged, had missing parts
    at archive.is/UIwzN
    to include current day or ongoing/extended/defined period.

Let's hope Amazon promptly supports OP and permanently amends its AZG to better reflect CRA.
    Zek Author
    My refund was approved today under the A to Z guarantee. Hoverfly never got back to me, wonder if that will have any repercussions for them from Amazon.
    qbs
    Glad to see that. Reflects my own experience with Amazon.
    AndyRoyd
    Yes, the A-Z rules have clearly been bent. It was a risk taken by Amazon, but appears to have paid off, literally.
    Or Amazon has quietly funded the refund and disguised it as a successful A-Z claim.

Let's imagine I am the nefarious seller of this junk and I receive your A-Z claim from Amazon at day 122 after your order.
    Here is my response to Amazon:
    I refer you to your (Amazon's) terms regarding A-Z claim period.
    Specifically: Amazon defines the A-Z claim period as
    "up to 90 days after the order date"
    as stated on Amazon webpage at archive.is/7pRhz
    Your customer's claim is presented at day 122 after the order date.
    Your customer's claim is therefore invalid and you will dismiss your customer's claim.

Or if we consider Amazon's hilarious and deliberate lie that your A-Z claim is for "item not received":
    The Amazon fulfillment records shows that Amazon delivered the order to the customer on xx November 2022.
    Your customer's claim is therefore invalid and you will dismiss your customer's claim.
    End of.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants