Booking dot com pricing structure warning

Posted 8th Feb 2023
Just a heads up really.
been looking to book some accommodation at booking.com.
I usual I use TCB for extra cashback. I had this property saved in my account with cost etc.
by chance I forgot to click via TCB but I noticed price was less by exact amount of 4% cashback.
so point it is bit of a con ?
so if you are looking to book at this site double check direct price on their site also.
makes you thing how many more places are like this?
Community Updates
Misc
New Comment

Categories

8 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Yes , I hv known this for a while . Also noticed same with some insurance quotes . Going direct rather than clicking through Quidco can be cheaper in some instances .
    I mean, maybe it's dependant on place perhaps?

I did a short test by going to Booking.com and searching for somewhere with a date, I then opened a new tab and navigated to TCB.

Logged in, pressed to 'Get Cashback' or w/e with the exact same search and well... it's the same price?
    RAC/AA etc also quote different prices for people claiming cashback. It's all a bit of a diddle.
    Insurance is especially bad for this. Never use TCB with insurance anymore.
    I noticed this yesterday when looking for some brake pads for my daughters car. Price via TCB was higher than direct.
    Me too...first I thought maybe it was just me.
    I would rather go direct to the supplier. At least you not waiting for cashback sites...
    Also consider calling the hotel directly and check their prices. Booking.com and similar websites charge the hotels around 15% of the booking cost so you might find hotel might be willing to pass on some of that to in the form of a discount if you approach them directly.
    The difference here would be if you are booking in advance.
    IE with booking.com you have in some instances free cancellation.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants