Coffee Beans Similar to Starbucks

Posted 28th May 2023
Hi all.

Recently bought an espresso machine to cut down costs on buying from Starbucks & Costa etc.

I've seen Starbucks coffee beans in the supermarket at around £8 for 450g bag. Is there a cheaper alternative?

Cheers
Community Updates
New Comment

27 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I personally buy M&S own brand coffee which ranges from £4-£6. I have bought Starbucks own brand coffee from Morrisons though at a discount before though. I would personally keep a lookout if you really like the taste of Starbucks.
    Heard a few people mention the M&S ones, I keep meaning to grab some but always forget when I'm in!
    I did the Pike's Place Seattle one a while ago. Longish queue when I went Saturday morning. Went back Monday at the same time, and no tourists, so no queue.

Plenty of Nespresso pods about in the US (and starting in the UK), so in some sense they are letting someone else use their coffee.

Seems to be loads of small / independent places in London that roast their own beans.

I prefer my coffee strong, and Starbucks, Costa etc. are pretty watery to be honest. Not sure how strong coffee you can make from their beans is as I'm not fully clued up on what makes coffee strong or like dishwater.
    Yeah it really depends on the Starbucks Blend that you like especially since you like it strong. On a Saturday/Sunday you hit the Cruise ships in Seattle, I had exactly the same experience with the days.The other ones are very carefully worded "roasted by Starbucks" (like the Kirkland Costco one). Nestle own the Starbucks rights outside of the stores, hence the Nespresso pods.
    I actually use a local Indy place in N.Ireland similar to what you saying in London.
    sdbellsteacoffee.com/

eater.com/201…ale (edited)
    To answer one of the questions, Starbucks don't make coffee for anyone else. You also never said which Starbucks blends you prefer as they have many, the normal one is probably Pikes Place blend, which even as a Starbucks fan, I don't particularly like myself.
    Coffee is very personal taste to alot of people and it's just finding what you prefer the way you can make it.

Just to tease a little, I'm just back from the home of Starbucks in Pikes Place, Seattle and also the Reserve Roastery where they make some of the blends which end up in the stores.

50273708-lrdit.jpg50273708-kkdee.jpg50273708-bQOZs.jpg50273708-gY1pY.jpg
    50273708-y3uvj.jpg
    It’s brilliant in there. Have also been to the Chicago Reserve. 
    It may be a good idea to try different varieties and discover options beyond Starbucks.
    About right
    You can get 6 bags of 200g for approx £20ish at times or less on Amazon - which would work out about £7ish for 450 or so but not much of a saving
    Costco have a great selection!
    Of course there is but its not all about cost - all about what taste you like. There is some serious rubbish out there. Try the small bags of beans from Aldi and Lidl for starters and see how you go from there. Also prepare to put a bit of work in. Buying a machine is one thing, learning how to use it is quite another. Good luck
    Author
    I've just gotten tesco's own coffee grounds today which is 100% Arabica for £2.80. Still in the middle of using Taylor Lazy Sunday

The other half wants to replicate Starbucks hence the topic so wondered if Starbucks is just a brand or if the coffee beans they use actually are one of its kind.
    Don't Starbucks sell their own branded coffee beans?
    Lavazza rosa is my go to, very cheap in Costco aswel. However aldi do a great selection and Costco own brand are rumoured to be startbucks beans
    Aldi has stopped selling their Columbian beans.
    I too like Starbucks the best, used to buy them from Tesco on promotion but they no longer to them. All the other supermarket beans have this... supermarket taste. The only other I liked is the Lavazza Oro or Italiamo Espresso Magnifico from Lidl (if you look for reasonably priced beans). The latter is £8.00 per kg I think.
    Author
    Might give those a try. Thanks!
    Beans or ground? You mention both in OP and replies.
    Author
    Either or. I know beans are fresher
    I often use these guys

ravecoffee.co.uk/

Great selection
    And ridiculous prices to boot.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants