Decorator question!! Is there any products that can dissolve gloss paint?

Posted 27th Mar 2023
A family friend recommended a trustworthy decorator who has decorated our entire house whilst we went on holiday. We're 95% happy except for the fact he's got paint on all our door hinges. Our last decorator took all the door hardware off before painting. The doors looks awful now and we hate them. I've taken one off and tried to clean it up but it's taken me about an hour to clean up one hinge, we have 16 doors all with 3 hinges!!

Is there any products we can soak the hinges in that will dissolve the gloss paint without damaging the hinges? I've tried white spirit, vinegar and boiling water but non were that effective. The hinges are decent quality and cost £18 a pair (I paid almost half that 6 years ago), so it's going to cost over £400 to replace them all.

Thank you
Community Updates
New Comment

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    sussexroyal
    Buy/rent the kit or take them to someone with the equipment to sandblast them
    newbie68
    I'd consider this as it will cost a fraction of that to replace them
    wpj
    Sadly the old Nitromors is no longer. It contained dichloromethane which is no longer allowed. Fortunately, I have buckets of the stuff.

I have used some generic paint remover from Wicks on wood which contains benzyl alcohol. OK, but some elbow grease is required to help.
    BadMF
    Acetone. You can buy it by the litre on eBay. 
    wayners
    Replace hinges is best option.

There are products like Pretty Boy Paint Cleaner & Conditioner or c-tec spray can but I'd not bother Vs buy new
    Pandamansays
    Just as a matter of interest, is it best practice to paint over the hinges?
    smokedsausage
    You would be well within rights to either dock the painter the cost of new hinges and installing them or ask him to clean and replace , it perhaps gets a little akward with family friend etc but he shouldnt have left this poor state of a job.

If you already a paid him and he wont come back, you coulds always say you are yet to post a review online... and a small claims case opened online for 35 or so, nobody wants the hassle and hopefully can get sorted but this is the way to proceed in my opinion. The small claims case stays on his file and if he doesnt turn up it gets awarded to you.
    P and D 30 year.
    Ella_Orey
    ygbk-- I had this happen many times and found the best budget friendly way...I'm a crafter and upcycler,tried and tested lots unsuccesfully. WD40 spray on hinges,leave on till dry.Hairspray on TOP,again let dry.Spray WD40 on top to grip surface then wipe clean.(spray onto pipe cleaners for awkward grooves.)Good luck
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants