Energy Price Guarantee from April

Posted 26th Mar 2023
Should you be receiving any information from your energy provider saying what you will pay standing charge/kwh from April. We usually get price rise info well in advanced.

We have had nothing yet from Eon for electric and British gas for gas. We pay on reicpt of bill as that suits us.
Community Updates
New Comment

22 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Wazz2013
    EON Next have just advised me my price will be increasing. makes me wonder how this is possible with market prices dropping.

Think I need to start shopping around.

49850048-Cth8p.jpg
    smith2001uk
    That's in line what I saw on the Martin Lewis show. Come July the rates will drop as the ofgem cap will be lower than the government price gurantee
    Sc4mp0
    I had an email from Shell a few days ago about the changes,kind of annoyed me to be honest the way it was worded though so wished I hadn't
    Mark_Hickman
    The capped cost is staying the same so i haven't really been looking for any info although i guess they could change the standing charge, ive not had anything though either, usually get email
    FrampyStinkwonkel
    I've had an email from eon. According to them Mt bill will go down slightly.

Estimated annual costs until 31 March 2023:
    Electricity: £626.49
    Gas: £697.72
    Estimated annual costs from 1 April 2023:
    Electricity: £623.68
    Gas: £683.30
    Price difference:
    Electricity: £2.81 decrease
    Gas: £14.42 decrease (edited)
    Susanf64
    Omg wish my gas and electric was the same as yours , currenty paying £90 a week on an average size terrace house using key meters
    _-Richie-_
    Octopus updated me in March just after the budget:
    The Government’s Energy Price Guarantee will continue at the current level until July (by which time we predict prices will fall)
    • The Government’s Energy Bill Support Scheme finishes this month. For most, this will mean an increase of £67 to monthly payments, but we think you can leave your payments where they are for now.
    • Prices are changing slightly in April, due to changes in the Ofgem price cap (details attached)
    • You’ll continue to receive discounted Octopus standing charges: we’re the only large supplier to set them below the cap throughout the energy crisis.

The Government recently announced some welcome news: the planned rise of the Energy Price Guarantee to £3,000 (for a typical home) will now be delayed to July.

This is a good result — and one we’ve been working hard on behind the scenes.

It’s important because, while wholesale costs have fallen a long way from their peaks in August (at one point, 14 times the normal level), they are still 2-3 times the historic rates.

However, based on current forecasts, we expect that by July prices should fall below the typical £2,500 Energy Price Guarantee Guarantee level — and we’ll pass these reductions on as soon as it’s possible.

Due to the way Ofgem’s Energy Price Cap is calculated, rates will change slightly from April 1. There’s more information about this here.

These fluctuations amount to around £3 a month change to typical bills — some regions up, some down. You’ll find a full personalised breakdown attached.

Also from April, the Energy Bill Support Scheme — that’s the monthly £66-67 credits from the Government over winter — is coming to an end. Based on your current balance and payments, we won’t automatically increase your payments to account for the end of this government payment support.

We’ll continue to monitor your cost and usage, and we’ll reach out with a suggested change if it looks like you’re paying too much, or too little.
    Gohan123
    Ovo dropping its prices due to wholesale energy prices coming down. (edited)
    Justintime12
    Still way above the current wholesale prices

Octopus tracker

49920846-BlomB.jpg
    Pricklerickle
    I have a question the 6 I get start of month , I got it Feb 2nd,28feb, so that be march, anything on April
    Justintime12
    No. Taxpayer handouts have ended (edited)
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants