Help buying Power Drill

Posted 2nd Jul 2023
Complete beginner to power tools. Looking to buy something basic that can screw, unscrew, drill holes. Would like cordless and something below £50 with battery. Not sure what to look for as seen combi drills, hammer drills, impact drills.
Any help is much appreciated
Community Updates
New Comment

23 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Good luck.

Best thing you can do for all around usage is an 18V Combi. But then they are big & cannot be used in tighter scenarios.

Even better than that is an SDS which will drill through concrete & brick far more easily but again they are big.

Then you go down the pile of drills that will not go easily through brick & concrete but will help in tighter spaces & normal wood work etc.

If money wasn't an object most people would buy an 18v combi or an sds plus a 18/15/12v drill driver.

If you cannot afford both then aim for an 18v Combi. But your £50 will not go far. You really need another £20-£40 on top of your £50.
    Tools are like drugs..... You can't just have the one
    Aldi and Lidl tools offer excellent value, and you can use one battery between tools (although it's handy to have more than one battery)
    Get a bog standard drill to start ...it will drill most materials, and offer screwdriving.
    Once the bug bites , I'd get an impact screwdriver.... They are in another league for difficult screws and bolts that a drill will just strip the head, or snap the screw.
    If you do a lot of brick or masonry drilling, an SDS makes holes like warm butter !

As I say, it's a slippery slope ! (edited)
    I was thinking this one. I wouldn't buy it because I would be spending another £40. But for £50 & just random use around the house it is probably best suited to you and your budget.

MacAllister is B&Qs own brand & I have brought their tools before & they are okay for the money. Like someone has said already, DO NOT BUY USED unless you are buying from a soon to be ex-wife who is dumping her soon to be ex-husbands kit in the bin out of spite & you get it for pennies

diy.com/dep…prd
    This is a good recommendation.

50500031-pIS8D.jpg
    It's got all the features you are going to need, the brand is pretty good, spare batteries are going to be available at a decent price (£25) for a long time and you've got the protection of buying from a big company that you can walk to and complain in person if it breaks.
    I have a Bosch professional, low end with only 55nm but suits my needs. It was pretty often on offer but as said, you will need around £90 for something decent.
    And remember that every battery system is different, so if you like one, look at the rest of the tools in the range, because you will be buying them soon. I have been happy with the Lidl 20v Parkside series
    If it's only for occasional use don't go cordless*. Or SDS like that guy up there said .

Get a Bosch GSB-13RE, it will last you until you're no longer capable of using it. I've had mine about 10 years and it's bomb proof, including once when it seemed to get so hot for so long (drilling into 5mm aluminium all afternoon in summer) that I thought it was going to self-immolate.

* Locked into an ecosystem, batteries will over-discharge if not used, will be flat when you need it etc. Plus, mains have a lot more grunt.
    I bought a Bosch green 18v cordless in 2014. Batteries are still fine on it and between 2014 and 2021 had very little use. We moved in 2021 and I was forced into lots of DIY due to lack of tradesmen. I think the brushes are now going in the drill after trying to drill a long hole into concrete.

Replaced with the pro range and its night and day difference.

Don't discount cordless as the battery tech has moved on somewhat in the last 10yrs, and regardless of that, batteries can be had relatively cheaply.

I now have a Bosch Pro SDS (Mega deal on here for toolstation in Jan) because my corded hammer has been used a handful of times due to being so inconvenient with the short cord and having to dig out the extension. The handful of times is not because the 18v didn't have the grunt, but because the chuck size was too small for the arbor I was using for the hole saw. The new Blue combi has a bigger chuck so its never been used since!
    I can't help you with only a £50 budget, as I'm a tradesman who buys at the other end of the spectrum. What I will say to you is buy the best you can if you intend to start tackling more complex type work. A combi drill is great, but if you have the money then buy an impact driver too.
    Author
    How about this one?
    aldi.co.uk/fer…900

Can't find it's battery on Aldi site
    Give it a month, the Aldi and Lidl tools will come round again....
    Prime day is coming. If you can hang on with a few options in mind something decent may turn up.

I bought a bosch 18v combi drill 4 years ago and only used it a handful of times. Drilling into brick can be tough but with persistence and patience its doable. An SDS drill would have been better but not worth buying for the 2 times I've needed it. For everything else the combi has been fine.
    I think Bosch do a pro range and a diy range. The pro tools are good but the diy range seems to be getting worse. As a mid tier range I found Ryobi tools to be good quality for the price.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants