Hi all what is the best cheap laptop for editing videos

Posted 11th Feb 2023
need your help team. I have a project I need to complete. I am over 50 and have very limited knowledge of laptops ect. I want to do some video editing for a family project but if I enjoy it I may do some more as a hobby. but I don't want to spend the earth incase it's a one off thing. what kind of things do I need to know. thanks in advance for any help.
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

3 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    drewbles82
    Hi...first thing you wanna know is the quality of the footage, if you're using 1080, 4k, then you'd want something more expensive to handle that stuff...personally I'd go for a PC as you can get better stuff for video editing at a much cheaper price.
    If you're using old cam stuff like video8, digital 8, minidv you could easily go for a mid range laptop.
    Don't bother buying any editing software as there are free alternatives such as Da Vinci Resolve
    uni
    to be fair, unless it's absolutely ancient, most laptops or desktops could do the job, but slower machines may be laggy or take much longer to render. i've used vegas to make 6 hour long videos that have taken up to 24 hours to render on old machines. if you just want a few things then that may be fine as you just leave the machine running. if you are doing a lot then that may be a pain

what spec machine do you have at the moment?

why do you want a laptop instead of desktop? you could get a cheap refurb that could do the job. you can often get vegas on humble bundle type deals
    deal_singh
    Get the MacBook air M1. Was a decent one on here for about £650. You won't regret it
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants