Holiday accomodation cancelled without reason

Posted 12th Feb 2023
Hi guys, im guessing they can, but can a company cancel your booking without a reason ?
When we dont go abroad we stay in a bungalow owned by a large uk holiday park, it is very difficult to book as theres only one bungalow on site and its soo polular and is usually fully booked every year as soon as dates are released in jan but we luckily managed to get the last week available before September.
its basically like their most exclusive property and has a private path to the beach and a 8 person hot tub.
Anyway we book it because our non-verbal autistic daughter hates caravans and starts damaging them, where as this property is very large and open planned and our daughter immediately took to it the first time we booked it, she makes the lounge her chill room every year and loves it there, and her going in the hot tub and going down the beach really helps us to actually get a break rather than dealing with her melt downs and really bad behaviour all week we get elsewhere.
But yesterday the reception called me and said unfortunately we need to cancel your holiday, i asked had it been double booked or was maintenance work planned for 4 months ahead which would be strange and the receptionist was acting all weird and said it hasn't been double booked but im not allowed to tell you why, ive just been told by the manager to cancel your holiday and if you have an issue with it we can give you a £250 voucher to spend on site if you agree to change to a different accommodation.
I explained about our daughter and how she doesn't settle in their caravans or lodges, and said im extremely unhappy that ive paid them over 20k in the last 7 years booking this over priced bungalow because my daughter loves it and feels safe/happy there and now they're cancelling without a reason and cant provide me a different week as its fully booked and they just said you can change accommodation or get a refund.
Really frustrating how they would charge me if i wanted to cancel but they can just cancel on you.
I have a feeling the manager or his friends/family are staying there in our place as the site warden told me before its really hard to get a booking even for staff and they try take the weeks they want first before they're advertised with their discount.
Im guessing theres nothing i can really do but go abroad to menorca where my daughters happy with a villa that has a pool and lots of space.
Sorry just wanted to rant
Community Updates
New Comment

14 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    [deleted]
    Author
    Ill give this a go via email, thank you
    What does the contract or T&Cs state?

Holiday Cottages for example can cancel for unavailability and give you an almost full refund. holidaycottages.co.uk/ful…rms

I’d imagine most sites would have a clause like this (edited)
    Its not over priced if you have been happy to pay for it for 7 years?
    Expensive maybe. (edited)
    Author
    Its definitely over priced, im just an idiot who loves to waste money , so long as my daughters happy for 7 days
    3k for a week in a uk park is crazy i think, but its fully booked every year all year (edited)
    [deleted]
    Author
    I had thought about that but they offered to change me into a number of lodges that are next to the bungalow i booked or a caravan further down the road and id be livid if we were paying for immigrants to live in such accomodation on the beach (edited)
    There are plenty of holiday parks with very large lodges for much less. hopefully will find something.
    Author
    Im on the hunt now,must have a hot tub though as it makes our daughters mood/behaviour much better (edited)
    Did you take out travel insurance?
    You may as well name the place..
    Two thoughts - firstly what does the T&C's say within the contract about cancellations? Reading how you put the call I suspect the person on desk isnt happy having to do this either which makes me suspect its something other than a double booking as you said.

Secondly if its part of a larger chain then I'd be tempted to go higher up the company structure and ask some questions about it.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants