How to report a pothole and make a claim if a pothole has damaged your car.

Posted 4th Apr 2023
Out of nowhere, you spot it, it's already too late to swerve, you’re forced to drive through it and hope for the best..... with over a million potholes reported on our roads, this is just a part of driving in the UK.

Potholes can pose a safety hazard for motorists, cyclists, and pedestrians alike. Not only do they increase the likelihood of accidents, they make roads trickier to navigate, and can cause damage to your vehicle.

If your car sustains damage from a pothole, it may be possible to get compensation. I've put together this thread to help you with the process of filing a pothole claim, determine who is accountable for the damage, and report a pothole on the roads.

4114384_1.jpg

New fund to help fix the UK’s pothole problem

As part of the recent budget announcement, the UK's Chancellor of the Exchequer a £200 million fund aimed at addressing the country's pothole issue. Here's hoping we will see some improvement in the roads to prevent the damage happening in the first place.

Who’s responsible for pothole damage to my car?

Responsibility typically falls on the local authorities, who are accountable for maintaining the roads in the local area. For roads that span across multiple areas, such as A-roads and motorways, the responsibility often falls on:

However, if the damage is due to other debris on the road, you will need to make a claim through your car insurance policy.

Am I eligible for compensation?

Not all potholes will be eligible for compensation. The local authority is accountable for maintaining the road but must have been informed in advance about the pothole and failed to take appropriate measures to fix it.

4114384_1.jpg

How to make a pothole claim:

1. Check & document the damage
When assessing potential damage caused by a pothole, it is important to consider factors such as:

• Any new vibrations being produced by the car
  • The handling of the steering wheel
  • Whether the car is pulling to one side
  • Visible damage to wheels & tyres

----------

2. Gather evidence
Take photographs of the pothole if it is safe to do so (not on motorways). Also make a record of:

• The exact date and time of the incident
  • The contact details of any witnesses who may have been present
  • The precise location of the pothole on the road
  • The extent of the damage caused to your vehicle
  • Damage uncovered from a reputable garage and provide repair quotes

----------

3. Report the pothole
Report it to the appropriate authority responsible for maintaining the road. You can locate the correct council using:

For major roads, you must report the pothole to the relevant national authority.

Even if not making a claim it's a good idea to report any bad potholes to promote road safety for all, and prevent future damage to your car

----------

4. Submit your pothole claim
Firstly, contact the local authority responsible for the road maintenance that you reported the pothole to. Clearly state that you want to make a claim for pothole compensation and provide a detailed description of the incident, including when and where it happened, and what actions you have taken since to address the damage to your car.

It is crucial to include supporting documents such as copies of photos, witness details, confirmation of pothole damage from the mechanic, quotes, repairs for damage, and any other details that could assist your claim.

There are limits to your right to compensation, it's not a done deal. To be eligible, you must prove that the local authority failed to meet its obligation to maintain the road under Section 58 of the Highways Act 1980.

4114384_1.jpg

What happens next?

The local authority is obligated to respond to complaints within 30 days. If they don’t, contact them again via the complaints department. It's likely they will get back to you with one of the following responses:

• They accept your claim and cover all your repair expenses.
  • They offer a partial settlement.
  • They reject your claim in its entirety.

What if your claim is denied?

If your claim is denied you have the option to escalate the matter by submitting a formal complaint. The complaint should be in writing and include all the evidence you have collected, such as photographs and the quote for repairing your garage. It's also important to include any correspondence that you have had with the council regarding the issue.

If the complaint still doesn't resolve the issue, taking legal action against the local authority is another option. However, this can be a lengthy and costly process, so not to be entered into lightly, and seeking legal advice before pursuing this route is advisable.

If there's major damage to your car, then you may wish to go through your insurance for repairs.

Hope this is useful! It would be great to avoid damage in the first place and for roads to be taken care of properly, so if you do see a bad pothole, please report it using the "Report a pothole" tool on the government website .
Community Updates
New Comment

191 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    There is an app called ‘FixMyStreet’ you can download to your phone.

It makes reporting potholes and other things like flytipping really easy. Just takes a minute or so.

Every time I’ve reported something it has been addressed and fixed with a followup email from our local council pretty quickly.
    no such app available... pls send links
    UK roads at the moment are the worst I've ever seen them. Pretty much every road has at least one pothole
    I remember it being this way since the severe winters of 2009/2010 which did a lot of damage to roads. However it is certain to have started being an issue well before then. The actual average resurfacing of a road is 68 years cited in some media and 83 years in other media. Whichever it is, it's a long time. Arterial roads are resurfaced every 36 years and residential roads every 105 years on average. The backlog is over 10 years, the cost to repair the UK's roads is over £10 billion.

The government do keep a record of road traffic statistics

gov.uk/gov…ics

To get an idea of how much extra traffic is on the roads now, when the pandemic was in full force the road traffic levels fell to 1970s average levels >

citymonitor.ai/tra…047

So with a traffic increasing year on and inflation removing council spending power, it is no wonder that the roads are in the state they are >

countycouncilsnetwork.org.uk/cou…ts/ (edited)
    It beggars belief that we can pay for HS2, yet not fix our roads, water mains, or NHS.

Why not ask Netherlands for help? I've never seen a pothole on any of their roads. Then again, we didn't ask the French or Japanese for help with oir crumbling railway. (edited)
    We’ve become a third world country.. be glad you’ve lived through the time you did, cos it is over
    The information in the gov link goes to multiple dead council pages depending on postcode entered. The council where i live require full name and address and contact details as well as email and phone number, a photo of the pothole and rough measurements. Ridiculous, use an app like fixmystreet or any of the others and reports are sent to the specific department needed at the locations specific council. Just need an email to register with the app. Plus you can report anything on them too. Broken lights etc.
    Potholes are pretty common nowadays
    Thanks for the fascinating insight.
    49914648-AT3oU.jpg
    In my 33 years of driving on our roads they are the worst I've ever experienced. What I find most difficult to understand is as a nation we've installed god knows how many safety cameras, smart motorways, the list goes on.... .....but can we fill a hole and stop people chucking rubbish out the car. It's a national disgrace.
    Fixing potholes doesn't provide the Government with a revenue stream and unfortunately people are slow moving when there's no money to be made.

But those yellow poles with cameras on top? See a new one every week.
    I took Medway Council to Small Claims Court for a pot hole wrecking my alloy.
    I won as they never responded to the claim.
    They never paid up even after this so I hit them with a lovely CCJ.
    This did the trick and they paid up immediately including all court costs.
    I did the same with West Berkshire council when I damaged my bike's front wheel and was thrown off. I also went to the small claims court and then a solicitor (from one of those TV adverts) took up my case to get compensation for a broken finger that I sustained. I won, got enough for a brand new bike of higher spec and £2500 for what was a minor injury. My success here was due to reporting it 2 weeks prior (with proof) and no action being taken.

What do we pay our council tax for? I begin to wonder.
    Keep paying council tax 🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑
    You don't pay yours then? expect to get rubbush collection, street lighting, health services, child services, environmental heath and a whole list of other things for free do we? While they are bad at fixing the roads I don't see that as an excuse not to pay at all, if everyone did that society would be in a mess within weeks. You benefit from it, you should pay it.
    Can you claim if you damaged your bicycle in a pot hole?
    Yes, West Berkshire gave me £500 (RRP) for a new set of racing wheels. I had to go to court though and it would've cost me over £1000 in fees if I lost. Very stressful and won't ever bother claiming again. To be honest, drivers are a far worse hazard. (edited)
    What about potholes on motorways? Hardly going to go back and measure it up are we, what a joke
    The M4 is like a lunar landscape these days! As if smart motorways aren't dangerous enough.
    Report a pothole and it either gets ignored or repaired shoddily and pops out again within a few weeks.

Report damage due to a pothole and the council will reject it, and the cost and hassle of taking it further isn't worth it.

Hooray.
    Tried a claim and the absolute useless excuses just said it wasn’t their fault and denied my claim even though I had good evidence. Just so happens the very next day they came out and redone the whole road but I was told pursuing further would most likely cost a bit and I wasn’t risking losing more money and failing.

Just typical of the uk government they out the blame on everyone but themselves. It’s ran by the worst type of people
    Reads like thorough advice but doubt it would work in any London council tbh.. there’s more potholes here than pimples on a prepubescent teenage kid. 
    Sadly most claims will fail due to a S58 Defence which is in itself reasonable as you cant realistically expect a Council to inspect the roads continually. You would have to somehow prove that any pothole was there at the time of the last inspection and missed (very difficult) or if reported the time they toke to carry out a repair was not reasonable.
    You've got a point, but this isn't the full story. The responsible authority (Council or Highways England, in England) will indeed try this on. However, it fails if you can produce evidence that the authority was notified prior to the incident of the hazardous state of the road. So, if there are several reports, particulalrly with pictures, submmited via Fix My Street or similar, their defence collapses.
    How on earth am I meant to know which of the 638 potholes on the way back from my local sainsburys caused the damage to my vehicle?
    It's probably the one that's caused you to stop and get out the car because your tyre is shredded and your wheel is bent.
    The problem is getting worse due to the eventual repairs being half arsed.
    Gang turn up, sweep some loose tarmac to the gutter, throw in some cold tarmac and pat it down with the back of a shovel.
    The other problem is when they resurface Residential roads, spray on some wet tarmac adhesive, spread loose chippings unevenly over the road and leave us drivers to bed it all in whilst suffering chipped windscreens and paintwork.
    Over the years this builds up the road surface but not the manholes and drains which become a sort of pothole.
    I really wouldn't want to be a cyclist round our neck of the woods 😵‍💫
    It's not just your area, it's everywhere.
    Anyone complaining about the potholes in this country needs to try driving in South America and other countries. Here our roads are like pristine carpets compared to there, be grateful.
    Sure. And when our roads are as bad as South America's, we can compare ourselves to Somalia.

"Be grateful" lol. We pay council tax. We pay road tax. If services aren't being provided, and damage is being caused to our assets, we can and should complain. Being grateful is how we ended up being the worst performing economy in the G7.
    We have a few massive potholes at a big junction near by and the council have come and circled them with yellow paint several times in the last 3-4 years and never returned to repair them,does my head in.
    Council just resurfaced about 10 metres of road where there was a huge, deep hole for the best part of a year (reported by countless people).

Having closed the road and done all that work, from the first day as soon as it rained, there's just been a large puddle covering half the road with every car spraying pedestrians.

Why do they bother spending the resources fixing it and not bother confirming the contractor has done a good job? Infuriating. Have reported it but expect no solution.
    Remember when that group of folks went out and drew massive 🐓on the potholes in their area
    We still do that in our village. Pink willies and the word C*** gets our potholes fixed in a couple of days.
    Councils rarely pay out. I was forced on to a private piece of land down a country lane. If you looked at the road - you would think it was the road I was on. Council claimed private land. If thats the case, its so narrow should be a one way.
    IMHO most country lanes should be one way or at least have a 30mph (or even 20mph) speed limit. 60mph limits on these roads are asking for trouble.
    While this is all well and good advice, I'm sorry but the whole local authority pothole compensation thing is a scam. Why? Because as you say, the pothole has to be already reported for them to accept your claim, But... There is no FOI process for you to get them to prove its been reported it not. So they can just say 'sorry mate, we didn't know, tough luck'.

This exact thing happened to me. Hit a pothole, destroyed my front wheel. The pothole was RINGED IN PAINT, so they absolutely knew about it, but just told me they had no idea of the issue and basically told me to Foxtrot Oscar. Whole thing is a massive scam.
    Absolute rubbish. Firstly do a SAR on them asking for the inspection regime data for that area.
    You have 6 years to claim in the court . Providing you have photos of the pot hole with a ruler, and from memory the depth is over 3 inches, you have a case.
    Under court procedure, you have disclosure, which the council would also have to disclose everything.
    It is slightly different in London as if the pothole is on a red bus route they are covered (you have to sue) TFL and not the Council.

BTW like all insurance claims they always like to fob people off and find any excuse not to pay out hoping people go away or settle for less.

If you are a pedestrian or on a bike and are injured then yes claim yourself. If your car is damaged then claim under your car insurance and let them fight the Council. (edited)
    Infuriates me how, as a motorist - I have a legal obligation to keep my vehicle in a well maintained, roadworthy state.
    If i fail to do so, i will be fined and have penalty points applied to my license.
    The councils do not have similar endorsements or obligations. They do not get fined or punished if they fail to keep the road in a "roadworthy" state.

Similarly i pay thousands in Road tax, Fuel Duty and VAT to run my car each year to the government, yet the government is not responsible for maintaining the roads - so why are they getting all the money?
    Road tax Do you think it's 1936?
    Thank you for this it will be very helpful to many of us that suffer potholes in the roads..
    Worth doing if you're ever unfortunate enough to have your car damaged by a pothole. There were several large potholes by my local Post Office, made all the worse by lorries coming and going to the nearby industrial estate. Most of the time you could drive to the left and avoid them, but one day a van was sticking out of the road to the left too far so I had no choice but to try and navigate round/over the potholes. Damaged the driver side front spring, was going to cost £285 to replace as a pair.

I put in a claim with Staffordshire County Council, which was easy enough to do via their website uploading all the relevant evidence. Their insurance company got in touch and offered me £270, they knocked £15 off the claim for general wear and tear of the parts (which was fine because I'd had the car 15 years). So it all worked out in the end and I got two new front springs paid for by the council.

The potholes, which had been there for years, had multiple claims made on them it seems and shortly after I made my claim they came and filled them in. Only issue now is that they do such a poor job of filling them in you can see them starting to go again and pretty soon we'll be back to square one.
    Goodluck with staffs county council, been two years and still yet to fix a drop kerb and damage to roads either side with potholes. They're shameful, but they're alright putting the council tax up another 5% 4th year in a row!
    Our local flyer from one specific political party used to be FULL of photographs of their councillors pointing, grim-faced, at potholes. They came into power last year, and since then, no pictures. You’d be tempted to say, well done, pothole problems all fixed, but in reality, there are many more potholes than before, and they’re a lot deeper/wider.
    I’ve now realised that those councillors are only good at pointing, and that there is no point to them, and their political party, existing.

49949447-Fbwi3.jpgExample. Note: not from my local council, but grim-faced pointers, all the same.
    Pointing, but pointless. (edited)
    Pretty sure roads in ukraine are much better than some in uk
    Almost all these posts are from people who've found themselves a few hundred quid out of pocket when their car hit a pothole. My experience was different. I hit a huge pothole on my bike, and ended up in hospital with broken bones and permanent injuries. The local council did try the usual fob-off BS, but I stuck to my guns. I got a firm of solicitors on the case and issued court proceedings against the council. They still denied liability, but the solicitor was confident we'd maul then in court. We were armed with pictures of the hole, clear evidence that the council had been notified about it several times, and a timeline that they only jumped on it once they had heard of my injuries. They must have agreed they would get a kicking, as, a week or so before the court date, they caved in and settled.
    Still not enough done
    I was doing an airport run early hours the other day, driving down a back country road, no street lamps and must have hit the biggest pothole ever. The noise and thud it made you'd have thought a wheel came off. Luckily no damage at all, don't think my passengers would have been happy!

As for more locally, the surrounding roads are terrible right now, multiple small and large potholes on every road, it's not like they've just appeared either, it's been a good few months and AFAIK the council haven't even acknowledged them.

Will definitely be keeping this info handy!
    I tried claiming a few years back , it’s ridiculous!

Has to have been there for so long which you have to prove then you have to go and measure it width depth and length and then they decide if it’s big enough , this pothole ripped the fog lights out of the bumper and never got any money
    Author
    Wow, that's crazy!!
    I’ve tried to claim for broken spring and shock on OSF wheel after driving through an elongated collection of 5/6 holes.

Photos provided. Quote to repair. Statement from mechanic showing car was MOTd just 2 weeks before with no issues.

All dismissed as the council said ‘we have inspected 3 weeks prior and you have to allow reasonable time to repair’!

But the hole persists during the 3 weeks on an A road and multiple cars being impacted.

Our road has multiple pot holes with the substrate being kicked out every time a vehicle drives through it. What if a stone is kicked up and smashes a car window or injuries a pedestrian?

But guess we have had a ‘bad winter’ and no one could have foreseen this. (edited)
    I submitted a claim to Glasgow City Council for pothole damage on 25th January but it was declined.

I first reported it on their website and got a pretty much instant reply saying they were already aware of this particular pothole. I then received a standard response to the actual claim a few weeks later stating it could take up to 9 months to investigate, but less than two months later it had been declined.

They claim the road was inspected at least 12 times a year and on the last inspection (Dec 2022 apparently) there was no defect present, therefore they were not negligent in their duty to keep the road in a reasonable and safe state of repair.

All rather convenient - especially as the pothole is shown on Google Streetview in the same state of disrepair consistently from as far back as 2012. (edited)
    I had the exact same with Glasgow. Pothole that was 0.8x0.5m about 7cm deep, unlit road through an industrial estate. They claimed the road had been inspected the week before and no issues... No way to challenge them... Wasted my own time really.
    Still waiting for Oldham council to come and repair a huge pot hole on the pavement it's been over 16 months , every time you email the highways and ask them how long they say thanks for getting InTouch we will update the repair and that's it .. incompetent they are
    50094315-6akZh.jpg
    Good luck trying to get any claim. I tried it a few years ago after my brand new car ended up with a bent wheel and damaged suspension due to a massive pot hole in the road. They came out with some get out clause that was written into the legislation because they had allegedly (don't believe them for a minute) checked the road for flaws within the previous 6 months and no-one had reported the hole to them. Ended up having to pay for the damage myself.
    Got back from Dubai a few weeks ago. Not one single pot hole on any of their roads. Maintained to such high standards. Uk is third world country compared to the UAE.
    Stupidest comment I’ve ever seen.
    They don’t have repeated below 0 temperatures followed by melting aka freeze thaw weathering (edited)
    My experience was:
    Me: This pothole has done my tyre and rim in and cost £xyz
    Council: We did a check x months ago and fixed all issue so we don't owe you anything
    Me: The hole shows on Google maps before this date of check!..
    Council: We did a check x months ago and fixed all issue so we don't owe you anything

Gave up in the end...
    Been there, had the same
    Can I backdate my claim:)
    Spray painting round the holes with a picture of male genitalia may speed up the repair......
    The guy in the press who painted a cock and balls round pot holes, proved it does work as the Council came and filled those in.
    Because of their much higher torque, it's EV drivers wearing out the roads and they should be made to pay for the pot holes they are creating. Claiming off the council will just make all our council taxes go up.
    Agree, Tesla drivers are a menace where I live. Their fat tyres seem to chew up our roads more than buses do.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants