Install a server in your house, get free hot water!

Posted 18th Feb 2023
Heata, which began as an innovation project with British Gas, is a UK company that connects a server to your hot water cylinder and provides hot water to the house master for free up to 4.8 kWh per day, and at least 2.5 kWh as per contractual obligations.

The installation process is said to be tested and approved by British Gas so you don’t lose your hot water cylinder warranty, and the heat transfer mechanism is patented as well under the UK patent GB2576035. A technician would come to cut the insulation and attach a thermal bridge to the cylinder. The installation takes 30 minutes, and if you decide you don’t want to host the server after all, it can be removed and sealed without losing the warranty.

There are some limitations as it only works with vented 425mm to 450mm diameter cylinders and you also need to have enough space around the cylinder (401 x 281 x 110mm) to install the server. Heata says each of their units uses 56% less electricity and saves 1 tonne of carbon per year against a typical data center plus hot water heating. It also saves up to £200 / year for the typical household, and it can deliver up to 80% of an average UK household’s hot water energy consumption.

It looks pretty good on paper as long as they take care of potential downsides like a water leak due to a botched installation. If you happen to live in the UK with a hot water cylinder that matches the requirements, you may apply to the Heata trial. The installation includes an electric meter just for the server, and the electricity bill will be paid by Innovate UK and Heata.

heata.co/trial
Community Updates
New Comment

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Like alexjameshaines I too recall signing up for a similar venture. Sadly nothing came of it and suspect it'll will be the same here. I seem to recall it was based in Sweden - I guess it could've been Denmark!
    I remember seeing this a few years ago as a radiator inside a house from a Denmark (possibly) company.

This is a slightly different idea with the hot water cylinder. I'm going to have a read through the terms...
    [deleted]
    Simple - it's not for you then....
    Umm what are they doing with the server? Mining crypto?
    Author
    Would that produce enough heat?
    This was annoying me so I found it! Nerdalize a Dutch company.

bbc.co.uk/new…775

But apparently a French company called Qarnot also tried it.

ec.europa.eu/res…ree
    Thanks for your efforts - was it really over 10 years ago now?! (edited)
    How much levy does their server use of have I misunderstood how it works?
    How do we see the attached picture in discussions pls
    Interesting idea. I've registered an interest, so let's see what/if anything happens next. Thanks!
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants