ISO camera for teen?

Posted 7th Feb 2023
Kid has been quite taken with photography recently, only using a canon power shot point and shoot type but wanting to go that bit further to get something that bit better - not full blown dslr , potentially a different bridge but looking for any suggestions, any photos taken along with suggestions greatly appreciated too!

Thanks!
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

5 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    You really need to think about the budget you wish to set. A good quality secondhand DSLR is the avenue I would personally recommend. You get the best of both worlds and can be as simple as shooting on auto or switching to manual to start to really learn about photography.

I had an old DSLR that I bought from new 10 years ago, and never used it until recently when I decided I wanted to take up photography. It has been a really good experience, and I have since upgraded but the benefit has been that I can still use the lenses that came with the original camera body.

49516185-NLT9F.jpg
    49516185-ZHRb5.jpg
    Both of these were taken with a Canon 700d last autumn that can be purchased for less than £150 from the likes of MPB, Wex, Jessops etc. The. ‘kit’ lense EF18-55 STM that came bundled with this camera can be had for under £50.
    I assume your talking digital and not 35 mm? Is the power shot a recent model or just an old digital? I'm not expert, but I'd say the small mirror less system cameras seem to be where it's at. Depends on your budget and what is being shot. Dslr and lenses get real expensive real quick, as it's become a bit niche now as most use phones.
    Author
    Sorry yes, should have been more specific - looking at digital.
    Power shot is one of the more recent ones and has pretty decent reviews along with some *nice* standard photos, but at the same time seems basic on functionality.
    No specific budget in mind but nowhere near dslr/lenses stage / costs yet. Sadly mobiles are out of the question for a few reasons, was just looking to see if anyone could recommend anything just that stage up from the current!
    Sony A6000
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants