Posted 2nd Feb 2023
I am building a new pc.

Parts i have so far:

I9-13900KF
Corsair iCUE H115i 280mm water cooler
Patriot Venom 32GB DDR5 6200 Mhz
4090 FE
Corsair 1000W 80+ Platinum PSU

I will pickup a Samsung 980 Pro M.2 for my boot drive or use the 2tb Firecuda i currently have, although I was going to put that in my PS5.

Can anyone suggest a suitable motherboard for this build?

My current mothered board is a ROG Strix B550-F Gaming Wifi (AM4). Should i just go for the ASUS ROG STRIX B760-F Gaming Wifi?

I thought i would ask some opinions as it seems a bit of a lottery picking the right board, it seems you can spend as little or as much as you like.

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

3 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    For that CPU get a 360/420MM AIO (Arctic Freezer II is recommended) - It's a very hot CPU. You're spending close to 2k on 2 really hot components yet skimp on the CPU cooling? Also you need to think about other case fans for intake/exhaust to keep it cool.

The GPU is well.. The best on the market so hopefully you're playing on a 4K+ display.

The board: Depends if you intend on Overclocking honestly, also depends if you're adding in a capture card. If you are you'll need a bigger board! Nothing wrong with that board honestly. - MAKE SURE YOU GET THE DDR5 VERSION OF WHATEVER YOU GET. I'm a fan of the Tomahawk SKU, so maybe that? Depends on the features you need and if you want RGB etc.

The RAM - Make sure whatever mobo you pick can support it.
    Author
    No skimping on the cooler, I currently have a 5950x which was cooled by a 360mm AIO.

The 360mm AIO was mounted vertically at the front of the case. Case can only do 280mm across the top.

When I tried to fit the 4090, the 360mm radiator was in the way. So i bought the corsair 280mm as it fitted nicely accross the top of the case giving space for the GPU.

The case is a GameMax Predator Full-ATX PC Gaming Case

Displays i have a LG 4K 60hz (Which i will replace at some point) and a 1080p 280hz (For FPS games).

No capture card needed and probably wont be overclocking.

The ASUS ROG STRIX B760-F can do DDR5 up to 7800mhz so i am good with it supporting the ram.

Instead of changing the cooler from 360mm to 280mm, I should have just bought a new case

I must have just been looking at the easiest option at the time.

I have just taken a quick look at the MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI, it has some nice extra features which are more focused around cooling. If this thing is going to run as hot as you say. That may be the best option.
    The first thing to do is to make a list of ports, slots and features you'll definitely be using. That's the main differences between boards and it'll give you a place to start looking. Once you know the minimum you're after you can then look at the model above in each range and see what that offers. (edited)
Discussions
Top Merchants