Really low water pressure

Posted 17th Dec 2022
Hi everyone, I have recently moved into a three bedroom semi detached house and have found that the water pressure upstairs is very low, the taps in the bathroom just trickle out water, it takes forever to fill a tiny sink, is there a way I can increase the water pressure or do I have to contact the water board? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Community Updates
New Comment

26 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    There are a few variables so this is just a rough guide:

Normally if your kitchen sink tap has a good water flow the problem may be inside the property, also check if the bath has an issue as if the flow is reasonable it may be the pipework to the taps. If the flow to both is poor I would check that your "stop cock" in the road is fully open and also the tap usually located by the kitchen sink is fully open so you get the maximum water flow.

Some houses have a cold tank in the loft and a valve that is used for cold water (this is different to a hot water cylinder) check this has water and is not frozen or not working.

Speak with your neighbours and confirm that they usually have reasonable water pressure and if that is the case contact your water company.

Hope that helps.
    The first obvious thing to check would be the main inlet water stopcock.

If previous occupants or workmen have needed to turn the water off, they may have not turned it back on fully.
    Great advice, but then check for further stop locks on the individual taps.
    If you have a good pressure downstairs the problem is in the house so a job for a plumber or yourself rather than the water supplier.
    First thing to check is the filter inside the tap, it should (easily) screw off the front and hopefully will be full of muck that’s causing the trickle. Post a picture of your tap if you can’t figure out how to get the filter out & I will tell you.

Failing that -

I sorted a similar issue at my house yesterday. The flexible tap hoses had clogged up at the nut.

If it’s only the 1 basin having the issue, It may be worth checking there.

Picture isn’t the best as that’s the cold hose, the main issue was the hot but I went from 3lpm to 9lpm after clearing it.

49070876_1.jpg (edited)
    If all the other taps in the house are working fine the problem must be the tap itself (probably furred up) or there is a shut off valve somewhere along the feed pipe to the tap that is partially closed. It doesn't sound like the problem is anything to do with your water supply.
    Author
    I will check the hose and pipe and let you know if that is the problem. Thanks
    Is it direct from the mains or do you have a cold water tank (Nothing to do with a possible heating header tank) in the loft.
    Author
    Hi, thank you all for your replies, I have found the stopcock under the sink it is fully on. Downstairs water pressure seems to be ok, on checking the upstairs bathroom, toilet flushes ok,bath taps Run ok but there is hardly any water coming out of the basin taps.

I don’t have a cold water tank in the loft. (edited)
    Exactly the same problem in our house except there is a cold water tank in the loft. We have electric pump installed on the say so of the plumber and it is hellishly noisey and I don't like it one bit.
    The VERY first thing to establish is if the sink is fed from the mains water supply directly or from a tank in the loft. There is no point talking to your water supplier in the first instance if it is the latter.
    Nobody can give you advice without knowing this. (edited)
    Author
    The sink is fed from mains water supply
    OK, then if you have good pressure downstairs there is a restriction between the two. Do you live in a hard water area?
    Author
    Yes I do
    It COULD be that the pipes are virtually blocked by a build up of calcium. The Next think to check is that there is something such as another stopcock or service valve in the system as it goes up the house.

Do you by any chance have a long hose pipe? Or can borrow. (edited)
    You say the taps in the bathroom, is there a loo in there as well, how quickly or otherwise does that fill?
    Author
    Yes there is a toilet and it flushes fine
    Yes but does it fill up (the 'tank' that holds the water before you press the flush) at a normal sort of rate? The cistern could fill up very slowly but still flush fine.
    If so you have sufficient water pressure in that part of the house so the pipes to the sink (see above by Knill) would be the obvious thing to check.

Turn off water at mains stopcock and check before disconnecting !! (edited)
    Author
    Hi, sorry can’t send pics as the camera is broke on my phone. I will try and disconnect the taps. Is it ok to just turn the stopcock off in the house to do it or do I have to turn off the mains water outside?
    Turn off the stopcock inside the house and check the taps do not run AT ALL. You will get a little drop of water that is in the pipe come out so put something underneath when you disconnect them. You might need a new pipe or washers if they are flexi-pipes so do it when the shops are open! (edited)
    At the risk of stating the obvious, this is only your problem if you are buying your property, not renting.
    could be faulty basin taps. call an experienced plumber round.
    Could be the taps. We purchased some new bath taps and the water was so slow coming through. Father in law sent them back and ordered some others which allowed more water through and were alot more powerful.
    A lot of taps come with a reducer valve inside the tap housing, this restricts the flow to save water, usually fitted to bathroom sink taps, as a lot of people leave them running when cleaning teeth etc, and washing hands. You can check by taking the tap apart, and removing the plastic reducer.
    Your flexible pipes to your sink taps should have their own isolator valve on each one.

As it an unknown try locating under sink, they should be easily accessible.

They will either be a flush style round circle with a slot for say a screwdriver to turn or a valve you can use with your fingers. Either way which ever option make sure that the slot line follows the line of the pipe or the valve ble/red follows the direction of the pipe, this will ensure both are open fully.

Google isolation valves so you know what you are looking for.

Stop playing the with mains stop cock, especially if you have a combi boiler and other people are in the house potentially going to be using hot water.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants