Selling Furniture as I'm moving... Facebook Marketplace.

Posted 24th Jun 2023
So as per the title I am selling a few bits on facebook marketplace as the furniture I have now won't suit the house we are moving in to.

I've had a few enquiries, however one wants to purchase via Bank Transfer and get their son to come and collect... Am I safe from scams if the payment is made and in my bank before collection?

Any helps is appreciated.
Community Updates
New Comment

14 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    From Citizens Advice.
    If you paid by bank transfer or Direct Debit.

Contact your bank immediately to let them know what’s happened and ask if you can get a refund.

Most banks should reimburse you if you’ve transferred money to someone because of a scam. This type of scam is known as an ‘authorised push payment’.
    If they are coming out to you, then cash on collection. Let them send the money to their son, and he can withdraw the cash.
    Why should you take the risk?
    Author
    Ah right, so yeah... cash on collection it is then. Thank you for this.
    Cash is king.

Insist on it. If they're driving to you, tell them to drive to a cash machine first.
    There is literally no reason for someone not being able to pay cash on collection.
    If she wants her son to collect, she can transfer monies to her son, who can pay cash to you.
    Author
    Agreed, they went silent after that.

Scammers must be out in force today though... I guess that's what happens when you list tech on marketplace also lol. (edited)
    I was under the impression that bank transfers are relatively safe as long as it's done correctly. The bank transfer scam I always hear about is the one where they use a fake banking app, and the money is never actually sent. Why doesn't he just pay in cash? It's not like it's difficult to get..
    Author
    That's what I thought, but wanted to confirm. I don't really sell on facebook and what I have sold I've just taken cash on collection. Apparently it's their son that's going to collect, we will see how it plans out. I've only just listed them and have about 3 weeks until the move so not really in a rush to get scammed lol.

Just had someone want to pay via goods and services for a collection (Card game) which I've just refused as that DOES seem a bit fishy lol.
    Cash is best but I've sold lots of things via PayPal on marketplace and someone came to collect a Lego Home Alone house and paid at the door via bank transfer. Wouldn't worry too much the majority are decent people. 👌
    Same here. Paid via bank transfer at the door (was only a tenner) but she seemed decent enough and to be fair, I'd have coped with the loss had I been scammed as low value. But anyway, there have been times when I've travelled to buy summat but forgotten to bring cash.. such a pain looking around for cash machines as an electronic transfer would've been so much more convenient in comparison ... anyway, works both ways. (edited)
    Cash on collection only. This is a common scam on Gumtree.
    So how does the scam work? I thought BT was safe?
    I thought the BT scam was to set the payment up as a direct debit and then claim that it was all a mistake in which case the bank would reverse it?
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants