selling to CEX online: what are your experiences?

Posted 5th Feb 2013
as title, looking to sell my nexus 4 to CEX but have had problems selling to them instore so thinking about selling to them online but before i take the plunge what are everybody's experiences of selling to CEX online?

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
How do I sell to CeX?
9433.jpg
CeX stores buy, sell and exchange a range of technology and entertainment products including mobile phones, video games, DVDs and Blu-ray movies, computers, digital electronics, TVs and monitors, and music CDs. We’ll take a look selling items at CeX stores across the country and online:

How much will I get for selling my items to CeX?
Whether you are selling in-store or online your items will be ‘graded’ by the CeX team in the same way. These grades are based on their cosmetic condition, their functionality and any accessories that they come with. The CeX website states that they grade products in the following way:

“All phones, tablets and hardware (excluding consoles) are graded as one of the following:

• A Mint - Product in mint/new condition with original box and all original accessories.
  • B Good - Product in good condition with all essential accessories. No box required.
  • C Working - Product in poor condition and fully working with all essential accessories. No box required.
  • F Non-working - (Applicable for Phones and iPads only). Product must be intact and not crushed, bent, or snapped. Passes IMEI check, No accessories required. All Apple products must have the iCloud account deactivated. Non-working examples: Dead, cracked, water damage, broken/bleeding LCD (screen), not powering up, speaker/mic faults, broken aerial, etc.
Games consoles are graded as one of the following:

• Boxed - Good to Mint Condition. All essential accessories. Original, first party controller of matching colour. Official box with all inserts to ensure safe transit.
  • Unboxed - As above, just without the box.
  • Discounted - Any condition but must be fully working. Chips, dents and scratches acceptable providing function is not impeded. All essential accessories, any controller. Box not required.
*some consoles may come with additional non-essential accessories. If a console does come with additional accessories, it will be mentioned in the product name/description.”

SELLING IN-STORE
To sell in store you will need an account to become a CeX seller. There are two types of CeX membership and both are free. You will need to go decide which one suits you best:

An Exchange Membership allows you to trade-in your items (excluding mobile phones and electronic items). You do not need to take in any ID for this, just your name and postcode will do. You will also not be able to sell for cash with and Exchange Membership, but you can get CeX vouchers for your trade-ins.

A Full Membership allows to to sell any of your items for cash or CeX vouchers. You must be over 16 years of age. In England, Wales or NI, You will need to bring ONE valid form of ID:

• Current Signed Passport
  • EU National Identity Card
  • Current UK photocard Driving Licence (full/provisional)
  • Police/Armed Forces Warrant Card
  • DWP Benefit Book or Card
  • Utility Bill (not more than 6 months old)
  • A current bank/credit union/building society/credit card statement (not more than 6 months old)
In Scotland, for all trade-ins you must be at least 16 years old and present proof of address dated within the last 30 days, plus bring ONE of these forms of ID:

• Valid Passport
  • UK Photo Drivers License (full/provisional)
  • EU Identity card
  • Police or Armed Forces Warrant card
  • Young Scot card bearing the "PASS" logo
How long does it take to get my item(s) graded in store?
When you take your item in to CeX the store assistants will tell you how long it will take to get it tested and graded. It will depend on how busy the store is as to how long this will take.

After the item has been graded, CeX will then offer you a price for your goods, if you don’t wish to accept this price then you will have your items returned.

How does CeX determine the price they have offered me for my item(s)?
The prices that CeX set are based on many factors including market trends and economic factors and they regularly change to reflect these.

How will I get paid for my items?
In store, you can be paid for selling your items in cash, by CeX vouchers or by bank transfer. The bank transfer will usually be paid into your within one working day.

SELLING ONLINE
CeX online operates through webuy.com. In order to buy and sell on webuy.com you need to create an account. You can do this by clicking the Sign Up option at the top of the home page. A webuy.com membership is not the same as a store membership and is not transferable between the two.

How do I send my items to Cex online?
CeX provide two ways in which you can send your items Free of Charge:

• Royal Mail Freepost (R48)
  • Collect+
They will provide you with a shipping label that you print and attach to your packaged item, then take it to the delivery collection point you have chosen. It is up to you to ensure that your item is suitably packaged for delivery.

Will my items be insured when I send them?
They are insured up to a maximum of £100, if your item is worth more then you will need to pay for a different service, such as Royal Mail Special Delivery, to ensure they are correctly insured.

How long do I have to send my items once I’ve placed my order?
You have 10 days to send your items to Cex, after this time they may cancel your order and you’ll have to start a new one.

How long will it take for CeX to grade my items once I’ve sent them?
Cex state that they will endeavour to test your items as soon as they receive them and payments should be made within one week.

How will I receive payment for my item?
You can choose from the following payment methods:

• PayPal
  • Cheque
  • CeX Voucher
  • Bank Transfer (FPS)
What happens if CeX do not want the items I have sent?
You can choose to have your items returned to you for free, or let CeX recycle them for you.

Are there any alternatives to CeX?
Yes, there are many other places you can your sell games, dvds and electrical goods. Places such as Cash Generator and Cash Converters. Also, gaming stores such as GAME. Plus individual selling sites, the most popular being eBay.

Check out all the latest deals at CeX
here.
New Comment

39 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Wouldn't trust them at all, they have terrible feedback
    I'd advise you to go into a store or take your business somewhere else altogether!

My son had a 3ds xl that was faulty but still under warranty, so we went back to Game and got it straight swapped for a brand new one. Without even taking the new console out of the box we went to CEX to trade it in (my son wanted to buy a tablet) and after waiting for them to inspect/test the 3ds xl, CEX told us "we're giving you the discounted amount, as there are several dents in several places on the console"

It was brand new out of the box from Game that day! Cheeky sods.
    (edited)
    Yup. You will get an email in about a day saying payment has been made and it will be in your bank 2-3 days after that.
    Now states completed email received saying correct monies paid
    I'm also planning to sell my Blackberry to Cex online, as the guy instore told me that my phone was too old for him to buy, so I should try other branches of cex or sell it online.

What problems did you faced in store?
    If you are prepare to wait , they eventually pay you for your Goods, but you might have to chase em around but they do pay in the end.
    be very wary of what you are sending to them. aftercare is none exisitent

they broke my iphone 3gs whilst testing it. They pulled at a crack near the port and snapped it. then refused to give me money as it was snapped, they denied they did it when i challenged them, and sent me a generic reply basically telling me to go away.

Author
    mac75

I'm also planning to sell my Blackberry to Cex online, as the guy instore … I'm also planning to sell my Blackberry to Cex online, as the guy instore told me that my phone was too old for him to buy, so I should try other branches of cex or sell it online.What problems did you faced in store?

said I need a utilities bill with my name on it or a council tax bill in the last 3 months in order to get a membership in order to sell. Unfortunately the utilities and the council tax aren't in my name so I need someone else to sell it for me but I don't really know anyone trustworthy who has an account so online seems my only choice
    Author
    Jasonl1599

be very wary of what you are sending to them. aftercare is none … be very wary of what you are sending to them. aftercare is none exisitentthey broke my iphone 3gs whilst testing it. They pulled at a crack near the port and snapped it. then refused to give me money as it was snapped, they denied they did it when i challenged them, and sent me a generic reply basically telling me to go away.

FiZiE

Wouldn't trust them at all, they have terrible feedback

this puts me right off and the fact that if I do send my phone and it gets lost in the post then that's £ 280 gone
    may be worth taking it in store, at least you are face to face if you have problems. send via post and you have virtually no come backs.

I'd recommend talking through the person you hand it to the condition, then try to get that same person when you go back in.. that way there can be no discrepancies if any changes to condition whilst in their possession.
    kylewalker

said I need a utilities bill with my name on it or a council tax bill in … said I need a utilities bill with my name on it or a council tax bill in the last 3 months in order to get a membership in order to sell. Unfortunately the utilities and the council tax aren't in my name so I need someone else to sell it for me but I don't really know anyone trustworthy who has an account so online seems my only choice

You can use your drivers licence
    problem with the store is, they never have cash, ever..
    saayinla

problem with the store is, they never have cash, ever..

They pay direct into your bank account nowadays.

Selling online I gave up on as I found it unreliable so I go instore and queue for hours, for video games I use amazon as I'll always use the credit and reliable.
    I sent my nexus 4 off 2 days ago and no payment as yet but it does say can take a week
    I've used them multiple times but payment can be slow. Also items that can be graded could be a little dubious as they may say the condition is different from what you think.
    Have you thought of just selling it privately through Gumtree first?
    I may be going completely against the grain here but my experiences with selling to CEX online have been faultless. Payment is normally in my bank about 1.5 weeks after sending the item. Anything under £46 is sent recorded and anything over is sent special. I have never had any problems and I must have sold to them over 20 times now. I would always use a tracked postage though, never just standard first or second class.
    I sent some stuff to them yesterday(1st time using them!), a load of DVDs & Blu Rays that I no longer wanted... £43 worth!

Sent special delivery & to the freepost address.
    (edited)
    dont trust them, i've sent two phones, both working with one mint (was in a case all it's life and had no scratches front or back) and one grade c. the down graded my mint one to c and said the other had water damage, it was fully working and had never been near water so they gave classed it as non working. i would avoid them like an STI.
    did it once. never again
    My order now says processing complete any payment due will follow shortly is that it ?
    nicster08

I sent some stuff to them yesterday(1st time using them!), a load of DVDs … I sent some stuff to them yesterday(1st time using them!), a load of DVDs & Blu Rays that I no longer wanted... £43 worth!Sent special delivery & to the freepost address.

how do u do special delivery to freepost address ?
    mac75

how do u do special delivery to freepost address ?

No idea, wasn't me that sent it as someone I know works in their companies post room.
    the porter

My order now says processing complete any payment due will follow shortly … My order now says processing complete any payment due will follow shortly is that it ?

Keep us updated please pal, got an N4 ready to RMSD to them
    Currently two phones with them, one no problem, the other downgraded and I'm trying to request that returned. No phone number, email only and no replies!
    zermattbusby

Keep us updated please pal, got an N4 ready to RMSD to them

Will do, the price has dropped now have you got the old price ?
    (edited)
    the porter

Will do, the price has dropped now have you got the old price ?

Yes mate, booked it in on-line last night before the price drop. However not feeling to confident regarding the process, particularly now they've lowered the price, probably try anything to wriggle out of it...
    Currently two phones with them, one no problem, the other downgraded and I'm trying to request that returned. No phone number, email only and no replies!
    Do you able to track in their website once you sent in the item? Or you only can wait for their email?
    sunnydurian

Do you able to track in their website once you sent in the item? Or you … Do you able to track in their website once you sent in the item? Or you only can wait for their email?

There's no where on the website to track the progress, I was looking the other day.

Got the email today saying the money has been sent

the porter

Now states completed email received saying correct monies paid

sunnydurian

Do you able to track in their website once you sent in the item? Or you … Do you able to track in their website once you sent in the item? Or you only can wait for their email?

When did you lot sent the items in and how many did you send?
    I booked mine in on Monday as well but couldnt send it in as was scared, but wonder if I could still send it as 5 working days should be monday and I could send special delivery by tomorrow.
    saayinla

I booked mine in on Monday as well but couldnt send it in as was scared, … I booked mine in on Monday as well but couldnt send it in as was scared, but wonder if I could still send it as 5 working days should be monday and I could send special delivery by tomorrow.

Booked mine in Tuesday therefore assume next Tuesday is the cut off point (5 working days)

Summoned up the courage and sent today special delivery to arrive Monday...
    nicster08

There's no where on the website to track the progress, I was looking the … There's no where on the website to track the progress, I was looking the other day.

Log on to your account, from there you can track your orders.
    zermattbusby

Log on to your account, from there you can track your orders.

Oh yh, I see it now lol! It's in small writing that's why.

Anyway, got my money today
    saayinla

When did you lot sent the items in and how many did you send?

Sent mine on Monday 4th, 22 DVDs/ Blu Rays.
    Do you get the amount of money selling at the store as it says on the app
    deleted252488627/06/2020 03:35

Do you get the amount of money selling at the store as it says on the app

Yes although prices change often on their website / app, you can sell online and drop off in-store to guarantee price.
    Took a iPad Air and iPad Pro to store…Took a iPad Air and iPad Pro to store to sell , was informed iPad Air had antenna fault so went to store and collected , was paid less than agreed by store via bank transfer with out consenting or being contacted about the price change. Emailed cex 20 times waiting days at a time to get a response to receive a email saying I had collected the iPad Pro and left the broken iPad Air at store ??!! I have photographic evidence of the iPad I collected being the iPad Air with the sticker saying broken antenna. I have requested cctv of the store handing me back the iPad Air and not the iPad Pro. Which has been ignored as this is classed as theft by the store I will be contacting the police. I strongly advise anyone selling a item not to use cex especially the Dudley store

Date of experience: April 29, 2023
    51100986-vuN0s.jpgDon't bother selling them disks, particularly DVDs. As you can see, we went there with a lot of items - whole thing was worth £25.97, with every DVD being valued at 1p. Then I turn around and see all DVDs being sold for £1 - 100x mark-up I'd ridiculous.

If you just want to get rid of DVDs, give them to charity. You'll get the same amount of value, and have done a good thing.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants