Sim Card Electric Gate

Posted 22nd Mar 2023
Hi, I have an electric gate that needs a sim card with a phone number so i can call it to open the gate, if i am approaching the house. It has been working fine until yesterday and have discovered that o2 have deactivated the sim as obviously there has been no usage on it as it doesn't do anything, just receives calls.

Anyone any idea of a sim I can get that doesn't expire when no activity ever?
Community Updates
New Comment

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    ChrisKaru
    How about a sim from RWG Mobile. rwgmobile.wales/web…ge/.

£35 for 2 years or £20 for a year. Given they are a fixed plan, I don't believe they would be deactivated.
    Willy_Wonka
    Cant you add a sim to your own existing account or get a monthy/yearly contract sim ?

Might cost you a couple of pound extra per month but I do not think sims last longer than 6-9 months without activity?

I am sure someone will correct me.
    M4tt31
    We used contract sims, just went with the cheapest with minimal data, anything else just seemed a load of messing about.
    Mr.Plow
    If it only has to accept calls can't you just use a free PAYG SIM that works straight away without top-up? I think Asda, Lebara and Vodafone Sims will do, then just replace them when they get disconnected after whatever the time limit is.
    Just had a look at Asda out of interest and once you've topped up the SIM it's active for 180 days, then you can't make calls but still accept them for another 90 days until you get cut off so in that scenario you'd pay £10 for 9 months or I'd guess without topping up it would last 90 days. (edited)
    paul123edwards
    I have a Vodafone sim in an old phone that has not been topped up for almost 3 years and has not sent a text or made a call for that long. It is still active and can receive calls and texts.
    I also have an O2 sim in a gate. Ours is programmed using text messages and has the ability to reply to texts (for system status etc). if yours can do the same, maybe just get it to send a text every so often. In our case all deliveries have to use the intercom on the gate to contact us so it makes regular calls from that.
    bobdylan
    Or you just remove the SIM a few days before it is due to be deactivated and make a call then put it back again
    EndlessWaves
    There are plenty of companies offering IoT/M2M device sims for £2-5 per year depending on data use but unfortunately most of them don't advertise phone call capability. Whether they would receive calls I'm not sure.
    jonnybravo Author
    Which ones?
    johnny_storm
    How about a 1p mobile £30 for 1 year deal? As far as I know there is no sim that doesn't expire ever.

Have a look here:
    kenstechtips.com/ind…iry

Only other way is to add yourself a reminder in your calendar every x number of months to take the sim out and send a text from it. This is what I do with my emergency mobile in my car.
    jonnybravo Author
    Ye thats what I think I'll do mate. I've bought a "classic o2" sim on ebay which should come this week and credit apparently doesn't expire so will stick note in my calendar to take sim out of gate and send a text, once every 5 months
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants