The "financial infidelity" that can sink couples

Posted 16th Feb 2023
Why aren't we talking about it more?
It would be interesting to read people's views on the subject after reading the article at bbc.com/wor…les
Community Updates
Misc
New Comment

20 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Gruff__
    Always keep your finances and assets seperate, NEVER get married.
    .MUFC.
    My wife says, What's hers is hers and what's mine is hers too. I'm not going to argue with her!
    Stormbringer2012
    I think everyone is different and has reasons for doing things the way they do.
    For example I have been with my partner nearly 20 years already had 2 divorces so not interested in doing it again.
    For the last 10 years she has not worked, I have a modest income and I pay for everything except for the Tv License and her mobile bill.
    Does this bother me not one bit, I also treat her daughters and grandsons as if they were mine.
    I guess it's if you are a person who is secretive about things and has things to hide that either you are ashamed of or just want to keep secret, then that maybe the downfall of a relationship rather than money.
    I guess we are lucky as our house is paid for and have no debt because that I would assume is a lot of peoples worries at the moment, where the next meal is coming from for them or their kids.
    I have a rule where I never look down on people and treat people how I would like to be treated as one day you might need those people if anything happens to you, that could be financially or physicality.
    SaturdayGigs
    Year old article, and still pointless imo
    newbie68
    Trust is essential to a relationship and if you have been hoodwinked I feel sorry for you. There is no basis or future for any relationship that does not have that trust. The area is irrelevant, be that financial or otherwise. Dishonesty is just that - does it matter on what that dishonesty is about. Sadly you picked a bad one if your in that situation. Is it their fault for misleading you or yours for making a poor judgement? That's a different question I guess
    Azwipe
    Assuming both work agree what you need to contribute towards your living costs, the rest is nothing to do with the other. Nothing worse than a bloke saying my wife wont let me, i have to hide it from the wife etc.
    GrahamAshworth
    Nice Post
    innocent Author
    Thank you. I thought I'd post especially in view of the cost of living crisis.
    leejay
    Some people bury there head in the sand about there own finances so telling the OH about it is not going to happen. I heard about a guy who won just over £100K on lottery, never told his wife until she found out accidentally about 6 months later. They got divorced not long after because he couldn’t tell her why he kept it a secret.
    one_eight_seven
    How did she find out?

Why did he not tell her?

Were their finances separate?

How much did she get in the divorce settlement?
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants