Travelers: Mobile Data outside EU

Posted 13th Mar 2023
Hello, I need some advice for those who travel outside EU or who do not have a standard international roaming plan.

Is the best method, turn airplane mode on the current sim/phone. Land and head to the airport and buy a Sim and then switch sim?

Is that the best method? If yes, How do I work out how much that sim or what plans I can get ?
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    fiestasteve44
    Buy a data e sim online (if your phone has e sim)
    As you take off disable data roaming on your physical sim in settings and then when you land your phone will use the e sims data package.
    MarioMan Author
    My phone doesn't have a esim
    joyf4536
    Depends where you are going. You couldn't just buy a Sim like that in India for instance. (edited)
    Xippi
    Agree - Vague question. Be more precise so people can better help you
    harrythefish
    Recent phones have eSIM capabilities. That's what I used for the US, and a huge range of countries is available where you can buy short-term data bundles (but not normally make calls).
    abigsmurf
    If you've a dual sim phone you can buy one of those roaming Three sims and set that sim to be used for data.
    joyf4536
    But only in some countries, it depends where you are going.
    bob-mk2
    That's what I do, but it depends on the country as to what is available.

For example:
    Country A has PAYG at every 7-11 store
    Country B requires a local to give their ID card to get a SIM
    Country C had a hotel that lent you an Android phone with free local calls

Depending on the place and where you visit, you can be clever with WhatsApp: someone sends you a text (free to receive under my plan), then I walk to wherever there is free Wifi and WhatsApp them.
's avatar
Top Merchants