Tvs and Warranties

Posted 13th Feb 2023
I'm in the market for a new TV after my Philips gave up the ghost after 26 months of ownership

This unexpected surprise has left me looking for a cheap reliable TV when I'm financially embarrassed

I see that Richer no longer gives all televisions a 6yr warranty, can anybody recommend any retailers that give a no hassle warranty

Many thanks
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

Categories

25 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    King65
    John Lewis give 5 year warranties with TV's
    AndyRoyd
    Significantly transfer the financial embarrassment back to the shysters that sold the clearly quality&durability-lacking prematurely-failed product to you.
    If the merchant was AO, it will normally and hilariously attempt to sell you a post-purchase extended warranty to cover the repair that AO is statute-obligated to provide.

Laugh in AOs face by presenting your Consumer Rights Act claim; maybe start by completing this template:
    which.co.uk/con…ced

The merchant may ask you to provide a credible report than the issue is a genuine fault rather than being related to damage caused by your vicious pet goldfish whilst it was chasing your TV around the garden. Go with the flow and agree, but first remind AO that the report cost will be added to your claim, as provided by the legislation.
    There will be some greasy-shoulder maneuvering from AO but when your claim (without/with report) eventually lands on the desk of someone at AO that knows the score it will be sorted.

AO courteously references this legislation on its t&c webpage and it is usually gloriously enjoyable to refer AOs not-so-sharp CS to it:
    3. If you find a fault 6 months after delivery and you’re able to prove that the fault/defect was there when we delivered it, we’ll offer the same resolution mentioned in point 2.
    archive.is/IifgX
    Most not-so-sharp CS jockies tend to go a little quiet when the cause of the fault is presented to them, where the fault that ticks the CRA-eligibility box will be:
    lack of durability on the day of delivery, because if the product had adequate durability on the day of delivery it wouldn't now be busted, wuddit?
    and that's when the buy-a-post-purchase-warranty hilarity is brought to the table.
    Muppets.

You have 6 years to present your claim, unless you live in Scotland, but the sooner you present it the greater the value of the claim.
    Catman69 Author
    Many thanks Andy, it sounds like you've experienced AO CS before.

Will it make any difference that I bought the TV through AO on eBay?

Would it expedite matters if I went through resolver?

Many thanks again
    KodaBear
    Costco do 5 years and seemingly no questions asked in my experience.

If you don’t have a membership card for the warehouses it’s £15 to buy an online membership - And unlike the warehouse memberships, anyone can qualify for an online one.
    Catman69 Author
    Do Costco deliver?
    themachman
    @Catman69
    Email Philips maybe?
    Explain to them that you'd expect 5 years out of a TV and it hasn't had heavy use?
    May be worth a try
    Catman69 Author
    Actually that's not a bad idea, won't hurt to try
    lamboo
    John Lewis
    Goodluck
    JHD007
    Costco
    FTCom
    Hughes are worth a look as well:

hughes.co.uk/tv-…ns/?_gl=1*nlcylq*_up*MQ..&gclid=CjwKCAiA3KefBhByEiwAi2LDHBo2EHvAMW-NceH7ds0j9bPIvi4djVB_qvpnc9Lm2I0zjdAJocOYdBoC8zIQAvD_BwE&p=1
    HappyShopper
    How much did your old Philips TV cost?

Depending on how much it cost, I would expect it to last longer than just over 2yrs and, as such, would look at pursuing your consumer rights with regards to this.

@AndyRoyd is very knowledgeable with regards to these matters and could advise.
    Catman69 Author
    I'll check the receipt later, but I think it was around £500, and that was on offer

It was a model 50PUS7505

EDIT: Bought it for £320 from AO - found the deal on here

Was reduced from @£500 (edited)
    tcf
    ???
    Richer Sounds website still says 6 year warranty on most TVs.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants