Uber Eats free delivery trick - free delivery at any restaurant when share a courier is available (app only - possibly only Android)

Posted 25th Feb 2021
Update - Following comments, very likely only working on the Android app. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Just discovered an Uber Eats trick to get free delivery

I browsed the McDonald's menu and was put off by the £3.99 delivery fee. I then went to share a courier (below - available on app only, not website) and chose a restaurant offering free delivery.

Important - don't empty your basket from the previous restaurant when switching to one from the free delivery options and don't add anything when you choose a free delivery restaurant
3675751.jpg
I then left the restaurant menu offering free delivery without adding anything to the free delivery restaurant. I returned to the McDonald's menu and the free delivery had transferred to the McDonald's order.

3675751.jpg
I was skeptical about the charge going through at full amount but I was charged the total without the £3.99 delivery fee applied

3675751.jpg
Community Updates
New Comment

34 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    It definitely works on Android, I tested it myself for anyone unsure.
    McShane25/02/2021 13:27

Doesn't work for me on Android, delivery fee still applied after picking a …Doesn't work for me on Android, delivery fee still applied after picking a 'courier share' restrurant.

Select any restaurant, add item to basket, then go back and find a share a courier restaurant. Select this restaurant, prese view basket (basket of first restaurant should appear). Now go back again, go to the page of the first restaurant and press view basket. The free delivery should be applied now.
    McShane25/02/2021 13:36

Nah doesn't work. Odd it only works for some.

I've just tried again and not working. It is very glitchy, but it is real.
    andrewworrall126/02/2021 20:50

I got it to work once today but didn't order, I was just checking it still …I got it to work once today but didn't order, I was just checking it still works. Either Uber has fixed this or it just doesn't work that much anyway

It's ridiculous. I got 50% off but if ordering McDonald's the £4 delivery wipes out most of the saving. Free delivery on Just Eat! If this trick worked still it would have been brilliant. (edited)
    Managed to get this to work!!! Cheers mate initially tried in iOS with no luck but Android on missus phone got it
    Author
    Ventuxe25/02/2021 12:56

Comment deleted

43981029-pmhpZ.jpg43981029-L8u7e.jpg
    Are you on iOS? May work for Android only if so I'll update my discussion. Definitely worked for me
    Author
    McShane25/02/2021 13:27

Doesn't work for me on Android, delivery fee still applied after picking a …Doesn't work for me on Android, delivery fee still applied after picking a 'courier share' restrurant.

Seems like it's working for some people and not others - it worked for who commented above. Apologies for any inconvenience if it isn't working. For anyone who it works for though, enjoy
    Author
    jamie1525/02/2021 13:33

Select any restaurant, add item to basket, then go back and find a share a …Select any restaurant, add item to basket, then go back and find a share a courier restaurant. Select this restaurant, prese view basket (basket of first restaurant should appear). Now go back again, go to the page of the first restaurant and press view basket. The free delivery should be applied now.

Exactly that. I would share a screen recording but it would be a nightmare to hide my address and you can't share videos on here unless it's a link to one
    andrewworrall125/02/2021 13:24

It said something like "free delivery promo expires in" at the top on my …It said something like "free delivery promo expires in" at the top on my order checkout screen, but I didn't show that because of my address being there. It was definitely share a courier, and McDonald's doesn't participate in that so definitely a glitch that Uber needs to fix Also - the one I used in November 2019 was a completely different promo. Times are never correct with Uber, I wouldn't order at 4am lol

I edited out the 2019 bit as saw it was an old promotion

If it works for some then good
    Author
    a666andy25/02/2021 13:53

I edited out the 2019 bit as saw it was an old promotion If it works for …I edited out the 2019 bit as saw it was an old promotion If it works for some then good

My bad, edits don't always show straight away
    Author
    jamie1526/02/2021 20:48

Can't get this to work anymore

I got it to work once today but didn't order, I was just checking it still works. Either Uber has fixed this or it just doesn't work that much anyway
    Author
    jamie1526/02/2021 20:54

It's ridiculous. I got 50% off but if ordering McDonald's the £4 delivery …It's ridiculous. I got 50% off but if ordering McDonald's the £4 delivery wipes out most of the saving. Free delivery on Just Eat! If this trick worked still it would have been brilliant.

It would've. I've been happy to order McDonald's with 40% off

Just added it up and if I was to order what I'd usually get now, it's £6.18 - 40% = £3.70 + £3.99 delivery fee = £7.69, so effectively £1.51 delivery fee (if I've added that up correctly)

I wish Just Eat delivered McDonald's to my house. It's not free at all McDonald's, I ordered when I went to babysit one of my nephews (childcare before anyone says anything) and it was £1.99 delivery on Just Eat

At least you're eligible for the Uber Eats 50% off, I'm not eligible for any of them (edited)
    andrewworrall111/02/2022 14:59

Unfortunately same here

Man, you're quick! Deleted my comment after I realized the thread was a year old!! UE really isn't worth it now they've done away with shared courier.
    Author
    Ventuxe25/02/2021 12:51

Comment deleted

McDonald's isn't a participating restaurant for share a courier. Did you definitely keep the food in the basket for the restaurant charging delivery and not add anything when you entered the share a courier restaurant menu? It worked for me and I just received my food. (edited)
    Hey! x Thanks for this, I'm trying to do this but I can't figure it out.

So I go to X restaurant and add some items to the cart.. I go to a restaurant with free delivery and then I go back to the X restaurant menu and go to the cart?

It still charges me delivery which is strange, am I doing it wrong?
    Author
    katewilliams125/02/2021 12:57

Hey! x Thanks for this, I'm trying to do this but I can't figure it out.So …Hey! x Thanks for this, I'm trying to do this but I can't figure it out.So I go to X restaurant and add some items to the cart.. I go to a restaurant with free delivery and then I go back to the X restaurant menu and go to the cart?It still charges me delivery which is strange, am I doing it wrong?

Go to the restaurant you want to order from that charges delivery, then go to the share a courier section without clearing your basket, don't add any food when you visit the free delivery restaurant's menu, return to the place you want to order from and discount should apply.
    Author
    Ventuxe25/02/2021 13:05

Comment deleted

Don't just a book by its cover lol, was still nice I'll update to add Android. Just tried again and it worked (didn't actually pay this time, not ordering twice in the same day) so very likely only works on Android. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    I just tried it on android and it's not working.

Can you click on the add promotion and see what you have there..Maybe you have a specific offer?

From your screenshot

43981190-8SFi9.jpg (edited)
    Author
    a666andy25/02/2021 13:16

I just tried it on android and it's not working.Can you click on the add …I just tried it on android and it's not working.Can you click on the add promotion and see what you have there..Maybe you have a specific offer?From your screenshot[Image]

43981222.jpgThe only promotions I have are free delivery on a £20 spend or 30% off a £15 spend for independent restaurants. My McDonald's spend doesn't meet the criteria for those, this was definitely a share a courier carry over. (edited)
    I reckon you have a glitch on the free delivery over £20

I tried and it definitely didn't work for me on android (edited)
    Author
    a666andy25/02/2021 13:22

I reckon you have a glitch on the free delivery over £20 although it shows …I reckon you have a glitch on the free delivery over £20 although it shows you last used it Nov 2019I tried and it definitely didn't work for me on android

It said something like "free delivery promo expires in" at the top on my order checkout screen, but I didn't show that because of my address being there. It was definitely share a courier, and McDonald's doesn't participate in that so definitely a glitch that Uber needs to fix

Also - the one I used in November 2019 was a completely different promo. Times are never correct with Uber, I wouldn't order at 4am lol (edited)
    Doesn't work for me on Android, delivery fee still applied after picking a 'courier share' restrurant.
    jamie1525/02/2021 13:33

Select any restaurant, add item to basket, then go back and find a share a …Select any restaurant, add item to basket, then go back and find a share a courier restaurant. Select this restaurant, prese view basket (basket of first restaurant should appear). Now go back again, go to the page of the first restaurant and press view basket. The free delivery should be applied now.

Nah doesn't work. Odd it only works for some.
    Doesn't work for me either. Even tried selecting exactly the same items as you. Must be account specific.
    Can't get this to work anymore
    Author
    strong128/02/2021 18:15

Managed to get this to work!!! Cheers mate initially tried in iOS with no …Managed to get this to work!!! Cheers mate initially tried in iOS with no luck but Android on missus phone got it

Excellent. You're welcome, enjoy your food!
    Hold up. Your McDonald's doesn't charge a bag fee?
    Author
    queenied28/02/2021 23:39

Hold up. Your McDonald's doesn't charge a bag fee?

I didn't even know that was a thing. I've never heard of a bag fee for McDonald's - even when it became mandatory to charge for bags in stores, McDonald's has never charged for bags when I've been / ordered. How much is the bag fee?
    andrewworrall128/02/2021 23:41

I didn't even know that was a thing. I've never heard of a bag fee for …I didn't even know that was a thing. I've never heard of a bag fee for McDonald's - even when it became mandatory to charge for bags in stores, McDonald's has never charged for bags when I've been / ordered. How much is the bag fee?

44011178-S1m4v.jpg
    A whole 5p

I'm not happy when I have to pay a fee for paper bags considering the charge was brought in against single use plastic. I believe Primark also do it - they only offer paper bags and are simply cashing in.
    Author
    queenied28/02/2021 23:48

[Image] A whole 5p I'm not happy when I have to pay a fee for paper …[Image] A whole 5p I'm not happy when I have to pay a fee for paper bags considering the charge was brought in against single use plastic. I believe Primark also do it - they only offer paper bags and are simply cashing in.

Can I ask, are you in Wales? I believe it may be to do with the laws of where you live, rather than an Uber Eats policy. If it was Uber Eats store policy then my local McDonald's would be charging a bag fee as well

Primark bags are definitely free, I bought something before they closed for lockdown and they didn't charge me for a bag. Again, may be different depending on where you live (edited)
    andrewworrall128/02/2021 23:50

Can I ask, are you in Wales? I believe it may be to do with the laws of …Can I ask, are you in Wales? I believe it may be to do with the laws of where you live, rather than an Uber Eats policy. If it was Uber Eats store policy then my local McDonald's would be charging a bag fee as wellPrimark bags are definitely free, I bought something before they closed for lockdown and they didn't charge me for a bag. Again, may be different depending on where you live

I'm in Scotland. I was definitely blaming McDonald's rather than Uber Eats. Just been reading up on the regulations and it looks like Primark bags do come under the "single use" heading even though they are paper, so a charge is correct.

McDonald's, I believe, are exempt under this:

44011227.jpg44011227.jpg
    So they don't have to charge for bags, but they do. I guess it makes it worse that you have no option but to take a bag. (edited)
    Uber rats is to expensive
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants