Using carpet tacks to put down a small carpet

Posted 5th Apr 2017
I'm currently finishing off my son's very small bedroom. The floor boards were bad and gappy, so have laid down hardboard over them. I have now put down the underlay (using carpet tacks around the edge). I have to now just put down the carpet (the carpet was so small (L-shaped bedroom) that it was not eligible to be fitted free of charge by the company that I bought it off of). Somebody suggested carpet tacks a while ago to me, which I have used for the underlay (used hardboard nails to put the hardboard down), however, the carpet is royal blue and I've tried pushing a black tack through the carpet sample and obviously the black head shows on the surface of the carpet. Am I supposed to hammer these tacks in so they go down right into the fibre of the carpet (felt-backed and hard) and then try to move some fibres over the top of the tack head to conceal it, or do you just nail them in so that the carpet tack heads are still showing? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

18 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    MSK.
    What kind of backing does the carpet have? That determines how you fix it.

Tacks are quite old fashioned, do people still use them? They make holes in carpets (obviously).

You don't normally tack underlay down at all.
    wacky89
    if youre laying it yourself, its not too difficult to use gripper strips, and it will give you a half decent finish. BnQ do a good video if remember with a step by step tutorial, which is what i used when laying carpet at my brothers house.
    random_dude
    spray adhesive & the grip strip mentioned above
    (edited)
    psychobitchfromhell
    I didn't know they still made carpet tacks. All of mine for the past twenty years have been done with gripper strips. Never tacked underlay down either. The stuff I've just taken up was down with spray adhesive. Without starting again not sure what you could do about that. Maybe a staple gun? Might not show as much as carpet tacks
    toiletseatlicker
    Remove the skirting board. Now lay the carpet to the edges of the wall.
    Tack the carpet down as close to the wall as you possibly can.
    Nail back the skirting board so the tacks are now hidden underneath it.
    mosskeeto
    Buy some gripper rods, fit them to every wall and threshold, point the nails towards the skirting and leave a 6mm gap between them and the skirting.
    You could hire a knee kicker but for a small room just cut the carpet full to the skirting then tug in down behind the gripper with an electricians bolster or a wide blade screwdriver.
    craigstephens
    toiletseatlicker

Remove the skirting board. Now lay the carpet to the edges of the wall. … Remove the skirting board. Now lay the carpet to the edges of the wall. Tack the carpet down as close to the wall as you possibly can.Nail back the skirting board so the tacks are now hidden underneath it.

​Awful advice.
    Anonymous User
    toiletseatlicker

Remove the skirting board. Now lay the carpet to the edges of the wall. … Remove the skirting board. Now lay the carpet to the edges of the wall. Tack the carpet down as close to the wall as you possibly can.Nail back the skirting board so the tacks are now hidden underneath it.

Wow! Just wow!

[img]cdn.psychologytoday.com/sit…jpg?itok=JhGf1exr[/img]
    cleggie
    toiletseatlicker? are you for real?putting carpet under the skirting boards?The proper way tio go is using carpet gripper,thats what it is for
    buzymum
    cleggie

toiletseatlicker? are you for real?putting carpet under the skirting … toiletseatlicker? are you for real?putting carpet under the skirting boards?The proper way tio go is using carpet gripper,thats what it is for

What if she doesn't want to buy the grippers? That sounds like a very practical idea lol
    Anonymous User
    As said by others, start again and do it properly. Use gripper rods and don't tack the underlay down.
    Sophiasky Author
    mosskeeto

Buy some gripper rods, fit them to every wall and threshold, point the … Buy some gripper rods, fit them to every wall and threshold, point the nails towards the skirting and leave a 6mm gap between them and the skirting.You could hire a knee kicker but for a small room just cut the carpet full to the skirting then tug in down behind the gripper with an electricians bolster or a wide blade screwdriver.

I think that I will have to try again - remove the tacks from the underlay, trim the underlay back so it goes up to the edges of the gripper rod (will double-side carpet tape be ok to stick the edges of the underlay down next to the gripper rods?). I'll pick up one of the bolsters to use, however, before I put down the hardboard there was hardly a gap at all where the bottom of the skirting boards met the old floor boards. You say, tuck the edges of the carpet into the skirting board, but I don't think there is a gap big enough to do that (especially now that I have put down the hardboard). Can I use glue or something to hold down the edges of the carpet once the carpet is fitted over the top of the gripper rods, and if so, do you have any idea what product that would be? Thank you.
    Anonymous User
    Sophiasky

I think that I will have to try again - remove the tacks from the … I think that I will have to try again - remove the tacks from the underlay, trim the underlay back so it goes up to the edges of the gripper rod (will double-side carpet tape be ok to stick the edges of the underlay down next to the gripper rods?). I'll pick up one of the bolsters to use, however, before I put down the hardboard there was hardly a gap at all where the bottom of the skirting boards met the old floor boards. You say, tuck the edges of the carpet into the skirting board, but I don't think there is a gap big enough to do that (especially now that I have put down the hardboard). Can I use glue or something to hold down the edges of the carpet once the carpet is fitted over the top of the gripper rods, and if so, do you have any idea what product that would be? Thank you.

You tuck the carpet between the gripper and skirting. Leave a 2cm gap between gripper and skirting. No need to glue underlay down at all.
    mosskeeto
    chocci

You tuck the carpet between the gripper and skirting. Leave a 2cm gap … You tuck the carpet between the gripper and skirting. Leave a 2cm gap between gripper and skirting. No need to glue underlay down at all.

Not sure if you made a mistake there but I was a carpet fitter for 20 years and never left more than a 1/4" or 6mm gap between gripper and skirting. A 2cm gap would not trap the carpet and would show a flat edge to the fit. This would also require a perfect cut.
    Sophiasky Author
    mosskeeto

Not sure if you made a mistake there but I was a carpet fitter for 20 … Not sure if you made a mistake there but I was a carpet fitter for 20 years and never left more than a 1/4" or 6mm gap between gripper and skirting. A 2cm gap would not trap the carpet and would show a flat edge to the fit. This would also require a perfect cut.

Hello, I've gone and bought the carpet gripper rods now. I've read that you fix them with the nails pointing towards the wall/skirting, but when the carpet is lifted over the nails (using a carpet bolster to help), do I then have to tap the nails down a bit (hammering on top of the carpet to do this), or do I just go ahead and tuck the carpet in around the 6 mm gap? Thank you.
    mosskeeto
    Sophiasky

Hello, I've gone and bought the carpet gripper rods now. I've read that … Hello, I've gone and bought the carpet gripper rods now. I've read that you fix them with the nails pointing towards the wall/skirting, but when the carpet is lifted over the nails (using a carpet bolster to help), do I then have to tap the nails down a bit (hammering on top of the carpet to do this), or do I just go ahead and tuck the carpet in around the 6 mm gap? Thank you.

Hi, sorry only just seen this, don't flatten the nails, just tuck carpet down behind the gripper... work on one wall, preferably one of the longest.. work from the middle out one way then the other....then go to the opposite wall, scuff the carpet with your feet towards the wall (if you don't have a knee kicker) work from the middle out again and cut the carpet just a little full to give you a little to tuck in.
    Once those side are complet complete the other walls the same way.
    Good luck
    Sophiasky Author
    mosskeeto

Hi, sorry only just seen this, don't flatten the nails, just tuck carpet … Hi, sorry only just seen this, don't flatten the nails, just tuck carpet down behind the gripper... work on one wall, preferably one of the longest.. work from the middle out one way then the other....then go to the opposite wall, scuff the carpet with your feet towards the wall (if you don't have a knee kicker) work from the middle out again and cut the carpet just a little full to give you a little to tuck in.Once those side are complet complete the other walls the same way.Good luck

Thank you for your advice, much appreciated.
    mosskeeto
    Sophiasky

Thank you for your advice, much appreciated.

No problem, anything else just let me know
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants