voted down why

Posted 9th Mar 2023
this is a deal site

all because i contribute by posting deals of the best prices in the UK

some nasty members attack contributors and try and dictate

such nastiness should not be tolerated

i look and find deals and post when i find them and if in the early hours and no one else can not be bothered to post deals i post 3 and i get voted down by nastys dictating that you can not post more than 1 deal or something.

its about the deal not the post or member who posted it

Below is a screen grab of what i posted is the early hours 3 posts posted 10-20 minutes apart but no other members are posting so the 3 are together.

i get voted down because i contribute by posting deals which are the best prices in the UK

Why

4099103-GsGcy.jpg
Community Updates
Misc
New Comment

54 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    louiselouise
    I still hold onto my (flimsy) theory that people are in a bad mood in the middle of the night - I've had a few go insta-cold for a while before the votes get a bit warmer.

At the same time, try not to take it so personally. I've put up Deals that have been cold, yet reposted weeks later and went hot. Sometimes there is an element of irrationality that goes into voting (humans are irrational) - generally I think HUKD votes are pretty fair.

Just move on to the next Deal and don't bother about it...same goes for badges, follower numbers or any other sort of internet kudos.

If the trolls are really overwhelming a Deal's comments section (happens to us all at times), report the really out of order ones and just don't read the thread again! Works for me!
    EQL
    Agree with grumpy nighttimers.
    bozo007
    The fundamental problem is you are expecting people to vote rationally. Why? These are the same people who decide bigger things affecting the country.

Ignore the votes, don't take it personally and continue contributing.
    Backinamo
    Could be lots of reasons. People against alcohol?   Try posting a deal involving Wetherspoons, McDonalds or vouchers in the sun lol.

I posted free entry to horse racing and it created animal rights debate.

Thanks for posting and your efforts. (edited)
    bob-mk2
    People will vote your deal down because:

1 - they don't the taste of that drink
    2 - they can buy a different brand from Aldi for cheaper
    3 - they *think* they can get it cheaper elsewhere
    4 - they're annoyed with drinks deals
    5 - they are annoyed with seeing your name too many times in the feed
    6 - they posted a similar deal in the past and it didn't do well
    7 - just general bad mood

Don't take it to heart and just move on
    TristanDeCoonha
    23: - You added the word "Glitch" in your header, and 3000 people have been wakened at 3am by their phone's alert noise
    MonkeyMan90
    Why are you getting angry because your deal hasn't gone scorching hot? It's alcohol that's regularly on sale so not really a fantastic buy. If you get annoyed at not getting credit from internet strangers you should maybe stay off the internet
    Roger_Irrelevant
    Some people see a bunch of deals from same poster in a short timeframe as spam. Try posting in daytime and spread them about.

I don't mind though; if I post a deal and it goes cold but it helps someone, job done.
    louiselouise
    I think this will probably be the reason - HUKDers tend not to like it if the same retailer / type of item is posted one after another in rapid succession. They see it as spam, heat-chasing or lazy-posting, or whatever.

Of course, if you try to lump them all together in a Deal post (say this was a promo on alcohol on a certain Amazon webpage, for example), some members moan about that as well (I got "mega-threads are not allowed").
    AnkerMan
    Don't try and get inside the head of the average HUKD member. You have better chance of explaining quantum physics
    McShane
    Shame you can't downvote discussions.
    RedNWhite
    Posting two in row is just about safe, but post three and it pushes some folk over the edge  

Also, most moderators are safely tucked into bed some time after midnight, so it’s like the wild west until around 6.30am. I feel for the poor soul who has to tidy everything up first thing!.. 
    sm9690
    This isn't China, you don't lose social credit points for being cold voted on
    AnkerMan
    Or being forced to commit Seppuku because you shamed the community with a dishonourable deal like they do in Japan
    newbie68
    Where is the evidence that maliciousness is behind the voting?
    innocent
    Proof is in the pooding. As soon as one posts a deal, pet haters will start voting cold and only gradually picks up to get hot.
    Sc4mp0
    Paul 9 out of your last 10 deals are base alcohol,you think you may have a drinking problem?
    newbie68
    Post (at least Baileys one) is still up. What do you mean voted down?
    EndlessWaves
    Use the first line of description to add a bit of background as to why that price is a deal. Is it an all time low? Has it been six months since it was that cheap? Is there an announced price rise on the way?

Just posting today's cheapest price isn't much of a deal which is often why multiple consecutive posts on the same product type often don't do well - unless there's a co-ordinated industry sale then chances are most of them are not at an unusually low price.
    Yas_Min
    I find it annoying when people post 5 deals in a row of the same genre tbh

Make a compilation post if you want us to know about the 8 free kindle books available that day
    howbord
    This is slightly different as 2 posts are Amazon and one is Morrisons so no way to combine them
    howbord
    Voting on this site is beyond any rational explanation and price seems to be one of the least important factors.
    Gollywood
    You win some you lose some. By attracting attention to cold votes you probably got more negative votes as a reaction.
    louiselouise
    True about the second point. Happens on reality TV shows, the minute you show fear or create drama, people tend to pile on and vote for you. Not sure what that says about (some of) us.
    davejb
    try not to worry about it. i posted deals that i thought where fantastic.. and went colder than an iceberg.. ive also posted deals that i very nearly didnt bother putting up as i expected next to noone to be interested but theyve gone scorching hot lol. no real logic to it at all..

the way i see it if one person has seen it and saved some money then your job is done. how much heat it gets doesnt matter. and sometimes a very cold deal gains notoriety and people will look at it to see why its so cold. so you still get eyeballs on the deal.

looking at your recent deals they might not be scorching hot but theyre all in postive heat so be happy with that.
    Bigfootpete
    Ignore the temperature, if you think it's a good deal then post it - if someone else thinks it's a good deal then they will go for it.
    It's irrelevant what temperature it gets to, this site is about posting deals, but everyone seems to be obsessed with getting their deal hot.
    You don't get anything out of it being hot or cold so why does it bother you so much?
    1spoon1
    I rarely post deals due to rarely seeing them lol, I will occasionally post Xbox Reward points challenges and I'll be honest its nice getting an upvote, who doesn't like to be liked? However you cannot let that take over how you think! This "Like" Culture is toxic you see it everywhere now, people posting on social media a certain thing just to get likes or upvotes and feeling down when not getting them is crazy, it literally is an episode of Black Mirror.

Just be bothered about those around you who care enough about you to not have to give you a "Like" and dont worry about random strangers liking or not aslong as you know you are being helpful DONT CHASE LIKES

Now click on the like below
    louiselouise
    Had a look at the threads in the OP screenshot and don't see anything that terrible as far as member comments (though maybe the worst have been deleted).

Opinions are fine, as long as they don't get personal. And one or two members are actually quite encouraging.

I would say maybe you're new here (not trying to be condescending), but your profile is from 2011 (was just curious and had a look), on most forums there can be "forum etiquette" and the spam thing is definitely something HUKDers don't like. Been there, done that!

The first post on this thread is repeated verbatim on one of your Deals, and it can be annoying when members leave "laughter" emojis, but I'm guessing they just see it as a member having a strop.

Edited to add: As voting is anonymous and HUKD is so big people voting you down because they dont like "you" will be quite rare...I think there's an algorithm for targeted voting.

It is a "thing", though, even though I doubt it happens often. Can't even remember the member's name but a few years ago I had someone being troll-y out of the blue - they then "followed" me around - every Deal post I made they would comment something negative on it. Had to report them eventually! (edited)
    EQL
    People are also grumpy at night? I think people also don't like to see single posters clogging the site on a single topic. It's easy to do with things like Steam/Xbox sales.

It's good to share frustrations on posting/voting as other people also experience them.
    bozo007
    Have you considered changing your user name to MrSwitchh? With due apologies to @MrSwitch
    MrSwitch
    I don't post through the night, I like my sleep, I also think posting between say 11p and 5am means the voting is terrible, op, if you see the deals, maybe wait until there are more active members on site?
    optrex10
    I don't hot vote anything that isn't a significant discount like 40% off. May be a deal but it's not a 'hot deal' and some of these are usual supermarket discounts every other week. I usually don't vote cold on stuff however unless it's clearly not any kind of deal.
    newbie68
    Exactly what I do. Not only do I not vote on the majority of posts, but I hate posts on the likes of supermarket items where it's showing a 10% saving etc. Every supermarket reduces hundreds of items every period. It's nice when I go in and want a tin of beans and it's reduced from the normal 47p to 39p BUT it's not worth posting on a deals site. these Types of posts just flood this site with nonsense and remove it further and further from what it once was.
    MonkeysUncle
    Jim beam probably went cold because it's that price all the time in discount stores.

Baileys isn't a bad price for 1ltr but maybe cold because of the odd flavor. Some folks just vote cold if they don't like the product I don't know why but they just do.

Just don't take it personally.
    xenophon
    I don't understand why the OP is getting upset and complaining. I thought for a moment that most of their deals were cold and had a bit of sympathy but just had a look at the last dozen or so and not one has a minus rating. And probably at least half are hot as in over 100°.
    Mobeer
    Not voted myself, but probably a mix of people thinking:
    - alchohol is bad therefore a bad deal
    - this is spam posting > it should have been one post
    iWish
    First world problem.... smh
's avatar
Top Merchants