Whisky or Whiskey for 18 yr old Birthday present

Posted 13th Jun 2023
Hi

Looking for all you experts & semi-experts for your experience on the above.

What I would like to do is buy a bottle that is 18 years old that might appreciate in value should he listen to my advice & keep it in mint condition unopened.

Any ideas because I haven't got a clue? Yes I know he is likely to open it at which point he will be disowned.

Looking to spend up to £100 but I would like it to be 18 years old. I have tried looking at websites but they seem to be overpricing purely to the 18 year old birthday present market & inflating prices as such.

Thank you
Community Updates
New Comment

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    If you want it to appreciate then you'll probably have to bite the bullet and by Macallan 18 double cask for around 300. Macallan is pretty reliably going up each year. If you have a 100 limit then this looks decent, in that its well presented and a good brand. Whether it will appreciate only time will tell.clos19.com/en-…BwE
    Honestly that would be my worst nightmare. A present that you can't actually put to any use with someone watching to ensure you don't use it. Just incase it might increases in value at some point in the future. You're just buying clutter for them to store.

The whole 18 year old whisky is a nice concept and I think they'll appreciate that but being told what to do with it makes it no longer a present it's making them a custodian of something and telling them they have a responsibility to maintain it through house moves, general life etc.
    Yes - this!
    I hate it when someone puts a condition on something they gift - similar to the age old "don't spend it all at once" comment.
    don't bother yourself he's 18 if not him, one of his mates will open it and get drunk
    Author
    Thank you all for your posts.

On reflection I think he would drink it. Probably returning from the pub with his mates after an England game!

Now, on to watches!
    Maybe you can tell him when the watch says 10pm he has to be home!
    I would buy something your kid can enjoy during his bday, and you can get something else you can then bottle age.
    Just ask him which is his favourite and get that one. (edited)
    I think this is a great answer, why not do both? Buy a bottle to drink and a bottle to store for value/to celebrate a moment in the future (wedding, graduation, wetting of a babies head)

For a bottle to drink Aldi have a 18 Yr old whiskey, left over from Christmas it's a decent dram also (you might have to search a few stores though) (edited)
    Buying drink as an investment for an 18 year old - lol!
    Personally I would give them the £100 and let them make the decision to invest it or spend it and perhaps a token gift/keepsake like a keychain. Think back to what you got when you where 18 - if someone had bought you a bottle of drink as an investment would you have resisted the urge to drink it?
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants