Any dececent Music store in London who buys CD Album

Posted 10th Feb 2023
I used to go to great place in Notting Hill Gate but found out they closed. I know i can google but looking for personal recommendations. Has to be physical store as dont have time to list online. Thanks for any suggestions
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

8 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Unless you have a very extreme and hard to find item, nowadays used CD's has no market. Everywhere there are stores selling in £1 each. How much do you think they will buy.... (edited)
    Author
    150 albums aprox. Even at £1-2 might be worth dropping them off.
    I would scan each one into Music Magpie and see if any are rare - I got a few extra quid for some CDs I had listened to once (Tea Party I think they were called - Canadian band that sounded like The Doors) but everything else was 29p
    Hadn't heard of this so I installed the app and tried scanning a bunch of CDs. Anything older than about 10 years is not recognised - it can scan the code but says nothing. If you type the number in you do get a not recognised error. A 4 year old CD did scan, offered £0.10. Yet IMO it'll be the older out of production ones that have the highest value, eg Deutsche Grammophon classical ones and some jazz ones. There are plenty of people with very high end CD players stil using them.

I remember when CDs first came out the experts were saying a CD would be unreadable after 10 years, the aluminium layer would corrode, the polycarbonate would peel off etc. My 40 year old ones still play perfectly. (edited)
    Any guesses why that great used CD place in Notting Hill closed?
    Scanning with the magpie app will take you 15 minutes tops.
    Author
    So after some research, you're better of either selling as a lot on gumtree or carboot sale if you want to sell locally.
    With apps like Musicmagpie, they offer worse value for money where competitors like Ziffit offer more, in some cases x4 the value. Prices will vary so you could split your collection between two companies depending on who offers more but that is more work.

Didnt realise this until years later but eBay actually have a barcode scanner inbuilt to their app LOL. If prepared to sell individually and can keep shipping costs down somehow, that is the best option.
    And finally, if no time, just pack up and drop off at local charity shop. I would go preferably with small independant that wasnt involved in all those sexual scandals going back years and exposed in 2018... (edited)
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants